New
Find
Notify
Tools

Confused About All The 9.3's
 Login/Join

<Mr Mike>
posted
I was visiting the Pac-Nor website, looking at the possibility of getting one of these fabulous 9.3x62's that everyone is so hyped on, and I noticed they listed a 9.3x64 and a 9.3x68 as well as 9.3x57 CIP, 9.3x62 CIP and 9.3x64 Brenneke CIP, but no 9.3x62 Mauser.

Does anyone know what all these others are?

Thanks,
-Mr Mike

------------------
If There's Lead In The Air, There's Hope!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend one of the Cartridges Of The World books.
Its my understanding CIP is the European version of the American SAAMI. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There�s a 9.3x62 and a rare 9.3x64. For combo guns theres the 9.3x74R, which is almost the ballistic twin of the 9.3x62.

I won�t go into details about other oddities and Wildcats. The x62 is enough for anything in America ( whole continent ) as long as you keep your shots to ~ 200 - 225 m and use a good bullet of > 250 grs.

The x64 is the ballistic equivalent of the .375 HH.

Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
9.3x57 - 9,3mm Mauser
9.3x62 - "The Hype", as you call it.
9,3x64 - equal to .375H&H, Brenneke is famous german cartridge developer.
9,3x68 - some strong German Wildcat.

"CIP" is the European equivalent to SAAMI.

You�ll find some ballisstics at www.norma.cc and www.hirtenberger.at, perhaps also at www.vihtavuori.fi and www.brenneke.de

Best regards,

Fritz

------------------
...the mark of the hunter is the ability to get close.

[This message has been edited by Fritz Kraut (edited 04-27-2002).]

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mr. Mike!!! It's GaryB from Handgunhunt. How have you been? Has the safari prep going? I saw your post here and had to respond. Along with my great array of SSK barrels, I have been working on some loads for my CZ550 in 9.3x62. In my opinion this gun/caliber is a perfect all-arounder. I've been loading the Noslers...the 250 gr BT and the 286 gr Partition. Both rounds will shoot under an inch at 100 yds. The recoil is no where near the 375 H&H and the ballistics say that it's VERY hard on the H&H's heels. I am totally satisfied. Hope all is well with you and the family. If we don't touch base beforehand, have a great trip and shoot the big ones! God Bless. Gary.

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Mr Mike>
posted
Hi GarBy,

I'm doin' great, how've you been?

Doin' well on the safari prep, times a runnin' out though, only a little less than three weeks till lift off!! Having trouble sleeping at night, worrying that I will forget some little thing that might spoil the trip... all the normal things.

So you like your 9.3... so far all I've heard is good things, nothing bad yet. I probably need one like I need another hole in the head, but something is drawing me nearer and nearer!!

I already have a .338/06 and a .375 H&H Ackley, so to add the 9.3 to the corral would probably be overkill, but what the heck, since when are men sensable about buying guns!!

Thanks for the positive safari thoughts,
-Mr Mike

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been great, thanks. Been REAL busy at work...which is a good thing after last fall. Got around to loading up some 338 JDJ rounds with your loading....absolutely awsome. That barrel is as accurate, or moreso, than any of my others. I put 3 shots into one ragged hole at 100 yds with the 200 gr Hornady. Which PH are you using on your safari. I have been talking to Bobby Hansen about next year ( a local taxidermist puts a small group together every year with him ) and I know that Gary from Handgunhunt is going with him this year. I'd love to hear the details and results of your trip when you return. Thanks, again. Gary.

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Mr Mike>
posted
Gary,

I'm going with a PH who is a regular on this site as well as HuntAmerica and 24HrCampfire. His name is Jim Hackiewicz and his website is:

http://www.customosteo.com/huntingadventures/

I'm glad the .338JDJ load info worked out for you... most of JD's barrels, at least for me, are WAY more accurate than I can ever be. Makes you feel good when they shoot good like that, doesn't it?

I will most likely post the results of our safari here upon my return, I plan on taking LOTS of photos and keeping a detailed journal as well.

-Mr Mike

------------------