New
Find
Notify
Tools

208 AMax
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone using the 208g AMax in the 300 Win Mag for deer? If so what were your results? Im launching them at 2810fps with good accuracy, and thinking of shooting a deer with them.

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
they shoot really good out of my 7mm-08. There are much better options for deer.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have plenti of bullets AB's, Scirrocco's, Hornady BTSP, just wondering about the AMax. I'll probly stay with the 180 AB.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 208 grainers in a 30/06 for targets only. Very accurate. My target is on a hillside at 800 yards. I have recovered several that missed the target and hit soft sand. Only a small piece of jacket is recovered indicating to me that they are soft.

For sure I have thought about hunting with them but haven't.

Regards, Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They kill deer. About the only 30cal bullet that is marginal on deer is the 110gr round nose fmj from a 30 carbine and even it works in the H&L area. Deer drop pretty easily with proper shot placement.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Amax is a target bullet, not intended for game. I had one pencil through a perfectly shot Marco Polo Ram a few years ago.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dieseltrucker
posted Hide Post
I have used them in the past on deer sized game. I do aim for the shoulder with them. In my experience, they act a lot like an SST but usually have a jacket core separation.

Posts: 240 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote