THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Kimber 8400 338 report and AR forum good guy

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber 8400 338 report and AR forum good guy
 Login/Join

posted
I recently purchased a chopped and tefloned Kimber 338 win mag montana from Chet in Palmer, AK. Chet shipped and delivered promptly and the rifle was exactly as described. I must say I am dearly in love with this rifle. Handles like a dream but I had some reservations due to reports from others about feeding etc. Feeds like greased owl slop in an ochre dish. 250 yard groups with factory winchester 200's were 2". 72 grains of Re19 and a 225 tsx were half inchers at a hundred. Imr 4350 was right there too. The only thing I can say is that the tsx's and this rifle love a max load as anything less was 1.5 to 2.0 inches at best.

I don't know who did the work on the rifle but I love it and thinking about a 300 win mag twin just for the hell of it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
palp8r,

So you are the dirty rascal that beat me to the punch on that one.. Wink

I was all set to buy that sucker too!

Glad to hear it is working out for you.

posted Hide Post
Guilty as charged?

It must have been close. I was headed out of town and checked gunbroker just one last time before I left for the weekend. I knew it wouldn't last long and dropped the hammer ASAP. I payed a little more but it was worth it. Later found it on here as well.

If you have thoughts of replicating it all I can say is do it. Damn thing handles, in my hands like a dream. See that Chet has some Echols guns and best I can figure was financing the next one with the funds.

I really don't see myself ever hunting with anything other than this gun and my 700 ti 30-06. I'm a certifiable rifle looney----and I'm thinking about cutting the herd in half to fund a few hunts and another Kimber in 300.

68 gr of Re19 and the 225 TSX was a cloverleaf as well and the recoil was nil. TONS lighter than the ti and hot 168's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear the .338 shoots well. I have 2 Kimber M84s. Both will do 1/2" at 100, but only with Barnes triple shock and a stiff charge of IMR4350. Any other bullet or powder I've tried does 3" groups. The barrels are so light that the dynamic vibrations have to be super tuned with just the right combo. But that they will do it is a good thing. Have had to work on both of the rifles followers to make them feed in the shorter calibers, ie. .243 and 7mm-08. I would amagine the longer case helps feeding somewhat. Hmm, now I want the 8400 in a .338. Thanks for the info. Good shootin'

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote