Find
Notify
Tools

.338cal. 160gr. X bullet
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
Anyone have any experience with these? I know that you can use a lighter bullet with the X but is this pushing it?? A local dealer is trying to get rid of some with a good price but don't know if I should get them or not. They would be used in a .338 WMag.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suspect that the terminal performance of the 160 X bullet out of a .338 would be pretty good for medium game, even perhaps moose and elk, although I must admit that I have no first hand experience.

The problem, in my experience, would be getting the X bullet to actually hit the intended target. While some people have done well with them, like most reloaders who have commented, I can't get even reasonable "hunting" accuracy from them.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
NB, e-mail me your address & I'll mail you what's left of a box of 175gr .338 for you to try (maybe 10).

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NB,
The first indication that many of us have troble making the darned things shoot is the fact that members will send them FREE of charge. I had a mess in various .375" weights that I gave away. No matter what I have done in either .375" or .338" I can NOT get acceptable accuracy with the X bullets. Plus I get tired of having to spend all the time getting the X bullet copper fouling out of my bores. I do just fine with partitions or standards.

FN in MT

[ 08-31-2002, 17:39: Message edited by: Frank Nowakowski ]

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
<peregrinus>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Nowakowski:
NB,
No matter what I have done in either .375" or .338" I can NOT get acceptable accuracy with the X bullets. Plus I get tired of having to spend all the time getting the X bullet copper fouling out of my bores.
FN in MT

Hi Frank,
the "X" needs some way to the rifling to shoot well. Try to seat it 0,05 to 0,1" short of the throat and you will get fine accuracy.
Cleaning after 10-20 shots is normal for high intensity cartridges for best accuracy, and also sufficient for the "X" given the barrel has no rough spots.
Regards
Peregrinus