THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Choosing contour for a 35 Whelen barrel

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choosing contour for a 35 Whelen barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm having a rifle built to replace my FN 35 Whelen that I should have never sold. FN commercial action and a fiberglass stock. What muzzle diameter would be considered a standard or medium sporter for a 35 cal 24" barrel? BTW, it will also be threaded for a suppressor so will need enough meat for that.

Posts: 1471 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use ,625 or so, but muzzle diameter is not an indication of overall weight. Look at the Douglas contour chart on their web site and see what a medium shorter is.
I usually use the 1930 Oberndorf contour, for which I have the pattern. the one with the step in it.

Posts: 17122 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Decided to go with a 22" Lothar Walther Standard Sporter contour.

Posts: 1471 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinNY:
Decided to go with a 22" Lothar Walther Standard Sporter contour.

Excellent choice. tu2

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use only Douglas Barrels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine has a Shilen 22" #4 contour.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shilen No 4, 24 inch barrel

Or any of the big barrel makers there of

Douglas, Kreger, Hart, Benchmark.

A 24 inch barrel is no less handy than a 22, so have a reduction in top line velo.

Posts: 10902 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I actually use 25 inch barrels; again, no less handy than 22, which is too short. And I do find that some of those newer barrel makers mentioned are useful; when I get them in on customer's actions; they are used as pry bars and tent stakes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ON a Whelen "fwt" you could use 22. But I would use a #3 at 24 inches. It seems to me most use a #4 Douglas, and that's a good choice..

A fwt wt #2 Douglas at 22 inches has ballistics about like a 358 Win.. That would defeat the purpose of a 35 Whelan IMO..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote