THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Is the short magnum fad over yet?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the short magnum fad over yet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up 2 mags last night that had Van Zwoll's write up about the 300 RCM. In a 24" barrel it seems the WSM's still outperform. Hornady's big deal is "matching 300 win mag in a 20" barrel" and they go on to say that it only beats the WSM by about 70fps when cut down to 20". Thats a pretty small difference. To the handloader, the WSM is still a better case. More volume = more velocity/energy!

Personally, I want to start playing around with the Steyr case. Does this qualify as a "short mag" ? rotflmo

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 12FVSS260
posted Hide Post
I'm with MikeG50 on this one 100%.......if you don't get it.....theres no sense trying to explain it to ya.....ya still wouldn't get it.....just cut your barrel down so its the OAL of a short action gun....thats long action logic bewildered course I'd still want the longer barrel with the same length gun myself Wink Its a short action/short cartridge thing gents......

Dave

If Accurate Rifles are Interesting.........I've Got Some Savage Rifles That Are Getting Mighty Interesting.....

Posts: 257 | Location: Central Maine | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
is that like the bumper stickers you see on jeeps? lol that would make a great sig line "its a wsm thing, you wouldnt understand"

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When increasing or creating profit goes out of style so will new case shapes. Its all marketing boys and there really hasnt been any huge improvement in case shape for 101 about to be 102 years

Posts: 200 | Location: alberta canada | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickt300:
I just never saw any need for specialized short action bolt rifles. The "short cartridges" (hunting) were originally designed for lever rifles before they made the actions longer. In reality if 1/2 inch of action length impacts your hunting take that half inch off the barrel. Otherwise you need a workout program. Funny also is a short light rifle chambered for a short long range magnum cartridge, I just love muzzle blast and recoil.

It is not a weight thing for me. I can mount scopes so much better on any short action. The bolt throw is shorter. Couple this with a shorter barrel and a shorter action and you do get a lighter gun to boot.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't even call it a marketing thing...there are some realities in the gun marketplace...

Much of the marketplace will not pay another $200 for a rifle of better fit and finish...

Much of the marketplace will not pay $3700 for a quality mule deer hunt.

Much of the market place will buy a 30-06, then a 300 win mag, then a 243, then a 7mm-08, a 338 win mag, at some point sell the 300 win mag then a 375hh then decide they need 300 WSM...

Guys we buy new calibers that's what makes us tick...

How many of you own just 2 medium bores???? not many

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10059 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I know I am a member of several hunting, shooting and reloading forums. This topic keeps coming up over and over again. Heres what I dont understand, why is this called a fad? Is it an improvement? Maybe slightly, depending on which side of the argument you are on. I personally love my wsm. I have a 300 and then the 325 wsm. But I also have the old '06 and 300 win mag. I enjoy them as well but truth be known my 325 is by far the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. When it comes right down to it Im sure that when the 7mm came to be about there were a bunch of old crotchety gentlemen wondering when the 7mm "fad" was going to pass. I say who cares, if its not for you then dont worry about what someone else might like.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was away for a few days right after I posted this. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. In any case, the overwhelming number of responses were in favor and that's noteworthy. There were a lot of informative posts.

One more question. Has anyone continued to experience the early reports of feeding problems due to the steep shoulders, particularly of the WSM's?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
I truly believe that the majority of feeding problems are because of the loose screw behind the trigger. Wink

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Feeding problems are one issue that got me to go the custom route. And it had nothing to with short mags because I never got one.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with csumerall....
quote:
I say who cares, if its not for you then dont worry about what someone else might like.
I just read in some rag, that the 300wsm is the most popular of the shorty mags, w/the, get this, the 325 is the second!
I haven't had anything to do with them...yet. Am very interested in the RCM's, though. I have two 308's, a tang safety Ruger, and a PH Midland 2100. I am considering a change to one of the new RCM's, or maybe a necked down 300RCM, as I am sure that it will happen.
I say, to each his own, who are we to say different?

A fad, I don't think so, a few failed attempts maybe, but not a fad.

LeRoy

Posts: 100 | Location: Edmonton & Wabasca, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The short mags aren't a fad, they are a serious trend. Anybody who thinks they are going away is kidding themselves. Look at more and more companies coming out with new ones.
They don't necessarily do anything you can't do with other rounds but they do come in some very tidy packages which is the real point about them.
More people are going to buy them because they are new and different than cuss them because they aren't the old and familiar....................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WPN:
I was away for a few days right after I posted this. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. In any case, the overwhelming number of responses were in favor and that's noteworthy. There were a lot of informative posts.

One more question. Has anyone continued to experience the early reports of feeding problems due to the steep shoulders, particularly of the WSM's?

The top cartridge in the magazine chambered roughly in my Kimber 8400 in 300WSM. The feedramp was quite rough. I gave it to a gunsmith who polished up the feedramp, and it feeds beautifully now. You would have thought Kimber would have taken the time to polish it properly.

Because the problem was a shortcoming of the rifle, and was fairly easily rectified, I consider it to be a rifle problem, not a cartridge problem.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was looking for an all weather/ all-around rifle/cartridge combo to use here in North America.

When I handled the Kimber 8400 Montana in 300 WSM it was a done deal.

It will do anything I need it to do on this continent, including brown bear.

Is it the best for all things? No, but it is a great hunting rifle. Capable, accurate, powerful, weather proof (well nearly so anyway)

Is the 300 WSM better than the 300 Win Mag, or Weatherby or.....no, but it's effectively as good as any of them. The actual differences between all the 300 mags in the field are so small as to be inconsequential.

If I had to do it over, would I choose it over a standard/long action such as a long action 8400 in 300 Win Mag?
Well, I've handled that rifle, and it just doesn't feel the same as the short action 8400. I like this one thanks...and I'll keep it.

These are my reasons, and mine alone. Anyone else needs to make their own decisions, for themselves.

I'm satisfied, and no, it won't make me sell my 270 Win, 338 Win Mag or my 416 Rigby. Those other guns have their uses, and have earned their place in my gun safe.

It's just a great tool. Nothing more nothing less.

Mark

NRA Life Member

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern Michigan, USA | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Sako 300 WSM would be the last rifle I'd get rid of. Love it.

If you spend most of your time shooting deer why would you even want a magnum? Isn't that like dove hunting with a 10 guage?

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It comes down to one thing for me - since I have old long action guns I am happy with is there enough difference for me to change. For me the answer is no. I am more excited about the new powders and bullets I can get now to improve performance of things like 30-06 and 270 WCF.

If I were starting out and wanted a new rifle - sure, I would go for the short magnums.

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get Shotgun News, which is a wholesale gun rag bi-monthly.

For the past couple years there have been lots of rifles I would have bought new and re barreled, but they were short magnums.

Those short magnums were way over produced.

This week in CDNN section,
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/
there are:
1) Winchester 70 Stealth II long range varmint 25WSSM for $549.99
2) Winchester 70 Super Shadow 7mmWSM with Simmons 3x9x40 for $399.99

If they had something that could be easily rebarrelled to .223, .308, 30-06, or 300WM, then I would buy them.

What does it all mean?
The short magnums may be here to stay, but they will make fewer of them for a while.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of any of the magnums, though I have owned many - the only magnum that I currently own is a 375 H&H, but I really don't need it. I have it becuase I love the classic old cartridge. I have never shot anything over 300 yards, save the occasional antelope and none of them were taken with a magnum. I just find I get the performance I need with 308, 30-06 and the standard metrics without all the recoil and usually with a lighter rifle - though most A series Sakos weigh about the same. I can't ever see owning a rifle chambered for one of the new magnums, unless I come across a good deal for a project or that I can turn for a quick profit. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll never hunt Brown bear. I will hunt Cape buff again, though. I'll keep my 25'06 because it is one-hole at 100 accurate, I'll keep my two 7mm Rems because I don't give a damn about buying something simply because it's new if what I already have works on anything in NA, and I'll keep the .375 H&H because it's just about the most versatile cartridge ever built.

I could care less about buying something else because it's new or its short or it's cool. What I have works.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aint a fad no more, these are real viable calibers. From previous research from cabelas before the Utah general elk opener.

300WSM 180 gr. TSX $48.99 Sold Out ( 5 other choices 2 sold out)
300WM 180 gr. TSX $48.99 (4 other choices)
300RUM 180 gr. TSX $63.99 (One other choices)

300 H&H 180 gr. TSX $62.99 (One other choice)
300 Weatherby 180gr TSX $63.99 (2 other choices)

This is just the federal premium, but I thought it interesting. The 300 WSM appears to be alive and strong. I have always thought that the 300WSM is more expensive to shoot and less available, but only if its sold out. Although the HH and Weatherby are a bit more powerful its an interesting comparison.

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk to a Rep at Banser Rifles. He said that the 300WSM is their most popular caliber. Remember, these are rifles that are sold then built, Not built them sold.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The 7mm and 300 RSAUMs are both conspicuously absent from the 2008 Remington catalog.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
The 7mm and 300 RSAUMs are both conspicuously absent from the 2008 Remington catalog.

I think there's only room for one trendy short mag in each caliber, I'm glad I picked the WSM!

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dought I will ever get a short mag.I have 12 338 win mags that all shoot under an inch at 100 yards and most will shoot undder an inch at 200 yards.I have 6 416 rem mags aslo.I do want a 416 Ruger on a old model 77 Ruger.I just dont see the short mags that much better than what we already had.Its a ploy to sell more guns to a shirnking hunter market.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote