Tools

Short, silenced Sako 9,3x62
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted
Hi All,

just wanted to share my joy dancing

I just got back my Sako75 9,3x62 carbine/battue from the gunsmith and it looks sweeet!

Apart from all other hunting I do, I have done some efforts to specialize in the tracking of wounded game. I have a bavarian bloodhound who is just unbelievably good (=100% trustworthy) but I have come to think about shooting over the dog's head. The typical shot fired is at 30 meters distance, and the dog is on a 7 meter leash just between me and the animal we track.

They say that bavarian bloodhounds go deaf at the age of six, if they're any good. Hm.

So I sent the rifle to a gunsmith with the following request:
1) mount a silencer
2) make an extreme effort to compensate for the silencer´s weight on the end of the barrel. Cut, shorten, do whatever you like.
3) I STILL want iron sights despite the silencer that is 2" in diameter. Cut me a ghost ring that is detachable and compatible with Leupold QR. When conditions makes optical sights a bad choice, I want to be able to switch to iron sights.

Well, this was just a weird experience when it comes to gunsmithing. First of all the gunsmith was finished within three weeks. Guess I got on top of his list of fun projects. Then, the price for the job was so low I almost felt embarrassed when paying for it. Neither is common behavious amongst gunsmiths where I come from.

Well, there is much craftmanship here and lots of thoughts behind the solutions. The gunsmith's answer to the requests were as follows:

1a) A hand-made aluminium suppressor with internal baffles from stainless steel. The expansion gas container goes backwards over the barrel, which is fashionable nowadays. This reduces the additional length of the gun when suppressor is mounted.
2) The barrel was shortened to 45cm (17,7") and slimmed down considerably where the barrel is covered by the silencer. This was an extremely ugly thing to do - visually - but it saved a few ounces from the barrel weight.
3) The iron sights... well, I asked for M16/AK47 style sights. Or, rather something that is raised higher than the silencer. A fiber optic bead is fitted on top. The rear diopter is made from two pieces of steel. One Leupold QR-compatible dice-sized thing, and a screw cut with a ghost ring on top. Adjust height by turning up or down in 180 degree increments. The gun is sighted in with 285gr Norma Oryx factory loads and... well.... the gunsmith claims outstanding accuracy but I'll need to see that for myself before I believe in it. But on the other hand, he is the gunsmith for the Swedish national biathlon team so I guess he knows how to handle a diopter/ghostring rifle Smiler

The gun now shoots 285gr Norma Oryx bullets at 2260fps(factory loads), it seems like the shortening and the silencer didn't steal that much velocity. And, the silencer just steals all the recoil away as if by magic,

I attach a number of pictures to show you what happened to the gun. It damn well feels like the ultimate rifle for bloodhound work, where 20 meter is the most common distance for a shot and any angles are accepted since the game is wounded to start with (every additional hole in the animal increases the possibility to end its suffering). Suppressed to save my dog's hearing, still not overly long due to the silencer. Plenty of punch in the 9,3x62 but now with the recoil of a .243 or similar.... And take-off iron sights!

Bliss.... dancing

Write hard and clear about what hurts
-E. Hemingway

Posts: 1723 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't ear plugs for the dog been cheaper? Smiler .........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Very specialized but well thought out and nicely executed.

That rubber bolt knob would have to go if it were mine, though! Frowner

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13398 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is super! I wish silencers were easily available in the USA. They are highly restricted, due to use by criminals (I think in the 1930's). It would save the ears of our hunters.

Instead, I am thinking of wearing amplified ear muffs or plugs. These work like a hearing aid and cut off when the noise is too loud. I must remember to bring them and try it out when hunting this fall.

Posts: 83 | Location: Missouri,USA | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted Hide Post
I use Peltor ComTac when on the range, it's great never having to take them off. You forget that you wear them. I also use them when hunting birds for pest control purposes (mainly crows and seagulls).

It's sweet you connect a walkie-talkie to these electronic earmuffs and you can tell your hunting buddy that you've spotted a bunch of crows coming in on him from behind, and he hears this loud and clear in his ComTac muffs. It's double sweet when you wait until the last second before telling him Big Grin

I got plenty of friends who always hunt with electronic earmuffs and it's medically a good idea, no question about that. But I only use them on hunts if I plan to shoot a weird amount of shots during the day.

-E. Hemingway

Posts: 1723 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hr Herrberg!
is the silencer a Vaime??

Looks cool your rifle.. Cool

Now you can "puff" a moose..

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Silencer to me means sub sonic and no noise. You have a sound suppressor at most. At the range you are mentioning you can load down to 1050 ft/sec and really get quiet, like click-thump.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted Hide Post
jens,
The silencer is finnish, hand-made. No idea about brands, if there is any.

Ole,
the sound depends, indeed, of the speed of the projectile. No silencer will effectively silence a projectile that exceeds the speed of sound. This gun sounds like something halfway between a .222Rem and .22WMR.

-E. Hemingway

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Walter:
I think it is super! I wish silencers were easily available in the USA. They are highly restricted, due to use by criminals (I think in the 1930's). It would save the ears of our hunters.

Instead, I am thinking of wearing amplified ear muffs or plugs. These work like a hearing aid and cut off when the noise is too loud. I must remember to bring them and try it out when hunting this fall.

You may want to check around. In many states suppressors aren't illegal to own or use. I own two myself. In Mississippi we can even hunt with them. There are some hoops you have to jump through to buy one, but if you can purchase a firearm legally you'll have no problem obtaining the suppressor.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
HerrBerg, That is a cool rifle! I'm like the others though, that bolt handle has to go Big Grin

Terry

one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted Hide Post
The rubber bolt knob is there for a reason Smiler

Wounded game will go through dense foliage for protection, and you won't look too nice after a while without gloves when going through that terrain in the winter... And the rubber bolt knob goes soooo perfectly with gloves, I can cycle the bolt without even closing my hand around it regardless of rain or freezing temperatures.

This gun is made to be ugly. However, if I should ever hunt in sissy-compatible weather conditions I might consider a pure metal bolt knob Cool

-E. Hemingway

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
if I should ever hunt in sissy-compatible weather conditions

HA! dancing

Terry

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Herr Berg,

Is that silencer in contact with the barrel between the threads and sights? Looks like the bluening has come off?

And guys, that boltknob is super fugly, but GOLD during the hunt!!

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Herr Berg,

Excellent work. My lab is 6 and now deaf. Can still hear things but very poor on direction. Very rarely fired with her in front but a lot with her just behind and to the side.

one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:
Herr Berg,

Is that silencer in contact with the barrel between the threads and sights? Looks like the bluening has come off?

And guys, that boltknob is super fugly, but GOLD during the hunt!!

There is aluminium paste there to provide "grease" when screwing on the silencer to the barrel. Steel against aluminium is a bad idea in other case. I discovered this weekend that the eluminium silencer heast up fast but that it cools down the barrel in no time? Aluminium is a great heat conductor and he silences provides a large cooling area.

The barrel is blued under the aluminium paste. And I'm happy to see that a norwegian gunsmith, presumably hunting in similar conditions as I do, understands the use of an ugly oversized bolt knob Wink

-E. Hemingway

one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted Hide Post
BTW,

I tried out the gun last sunday. The gun shoots 2" five-shot groups at 100 meters with iron sights, and 1,5" groups with a detachable Zeiss 3-12x56 mounted´. With 286gr bullets from a super-short silenced barrel... The darn thing shoots better now than before!

This is just too good... Just unbelievable. Bliss... dancing

-E. Hemingway

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A word of warning - always detach the moderator when you have finished shooting - they are traps for moisture which pit barrels very quickly as shown by the number of screw cut rifles with bad pitting.

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Very very nice will forward this to a friend of mine who does a lot of probelm animal control especially for bushpigs and he has a 9.3 x 62 as well.

He has a surpressor on it already but I just loved what you did with the sights.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I have become a 9.3x62 nut, and I am so jealous. That was a very well thought out plan.
Congrats!

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you got everything that you need there.

Now about your gunsmith:

I'm sure that that the international organization of gunsmiths (with heavy support from the American contingent) will soon be calling for severe penalities for your gunsmith.

Providing a high quality product in a shorter than expected amount of time, for a reasonable price is just not allowed and presents a serious threat of raised expectations that the rest of the gunsmiths cannot be expected to meet.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12549 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Swedish friend here in Canada who introduced me to the slip on rubber bolt knob...He has a running target set up and one day when I heard him shooting I thought he was using a semi auto...He was shooting his Sako bolt rifle in .222 using a rubber bolt knob...
Try it if you can find one,and maybe you'll change your mind about them... Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
HerrBerg,

Great modifications for a very practical gun! Congratulations, as I know you must be pleased.

Suppressers are too civilized for Americans to ever use on hunting guns.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
HerrBerg ... dancing thumb You Da Man clap wave That is un believably perfect ......Including the sideways sling swivel and rubber bolt knob ..... .....I may have one made for my 458 ...I have had the same concerns for my dog ....he has had his ears clapped a couple times and now has selective hearing .... Roll Eyes ... He only hears me when he wants to animal ....Synthetic stock , next ??? the Sako Hunter style stock is sure a nice design .... McMillan copied it and it is one of my favorite styles ...........

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I can only wish for the ability to own such an efficient rifle. It is outlawed , The suppressor, here in the state of Misery. Thanks for the story. My dream rifle will be a CZ 9.3 F/S with some sight, sling swivel, stock, safety, and magazine alterations. Packy

one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted Hide Post
Since we spoke, the gun has come to good use Smiler Three quite nice boars, two moose, and some other critters of varying size :-) It's the gun of choice that makes the other rifles mere gun safe queens, I take them out occasionally because I pity them Big Grin

The gun is just awesome. Where did the recoil go? And the BOFF instead of the BANG... And it's so short it's like a dream to carry around.

I Not to mention the lovely 9,3 impact.. shot a large boar this sunday on a driven hunt and well, it's nice when you see the immediate impact and you know the boar is finished without even hitting the spine or such. An animal way bigger than me, collapsing immediately from a lung shot. Impressive.

-E. Hemingway

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Due to health reasons I had to apply a suppressor to my 6.5x55 and it works well but is fugly as hell...I can´t wait to lose it and be able to enjoy the rifles beauty.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A detailed blue print on the suppressor construction would be nice.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I think this rifle and the concept is the neatest and most practical rifle I've seen in a long time. I hate muzzel blast, and I like thump, which generally one doesnt' come without the other - in standard rifles. My hearing has suffered greatly over the years, and now I'm interested in avoiding further damage. I always wear hearing protection at the range, whether I'm shooting or watching. I always wear hearing protection if just plinking around. I would like to wear hearing protection when hunting, but just haven't spent the money on the hearing devices that amplify, but shut down if the level is too much. I forget what they are called. My memory ain't so good either. Big Grin

I'm really curious about these suppressors in the US. i think I could qualify for a permit under BATF rules, and the fee of $200 doesn't seem prohibitive. But I know nothing about the availability and cost of the device, where to get a good one, and what to avoid.

Sure would be interesting to legally try one, especially on a thumper like the 9.3x62, or what the heck - even on a short barreled 458.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Suppressors are big business in New Zealand - and legal too.

Heres a link to the website of one of the manufacturers , may give you some ideas you can use.

www.gunworks.co.nz

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
I'm really curious about these suppressors in the US. i think I could qualify for a permit under BATF rules, and the fee of $200 doesn't seem prohibitive. But I know nothing about the availability and cost of the device, where to get a good one, and what to avoid.

Sure would be interesting to legally try one, especially on a thumper like the 9.3x62, or what the heck - even on a short barreled 458.

KB

It isn't a "permit". It is a tax stamp similar to what you get to hunt ducks and other things in the lower 48. The paperwork is slightly more involved then filling out the 4473 for a rifle. Fingerprints, passport photo, a visit with the local police to sign the form that you aren't a known felon or pyscho (mentally disturbed), add $200 and wait 4 to 12 weeks to get the form back with the canceled stamp.

Silencers aren't silent but, they are hearing safe, reduce recoil, and muzzle blast. Ask around your local gunshops and see if you can find a local gun owner or dealer who will let you demo a suppressor.

In my case, my 22lr cans cost me ~$300 and my centerfire cans cost ~$700 to ~$1050. If you want a standard .30 caliber suppressor, they are easy to find and are generally a stock item at your local class 3 dealer. If you want a special caliber, you will need a custom suppressor and a suppressor manufacturer will be required to make a can that is specific to your rifle and intended use.

Best Regards,
Sid

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Beauty! I like the bolt handle. thumb I want to lengthen mine and enlarge the ball. My hands are getting stiff and clumsy. (You wnat to see me tpynig!) Big Grin
quote:
Suppressors are big business in New Zealand - and legal too.
Oh yes! This is my current 'go to' rifle. It wears a rather 'stylish' "quiet brake" that adds a mere 25mm to the length of the barrel. Wink I never fired the rifle without it so I don’t know just how much the recoil is reduced but it recoils less than a 22-250 now. This one is a prototype, hence the steps on it. It is quiet enough to use only foam earplugs.

This one on my 303 Brit is as ugly as any other but is really effective in both muzzle blast and recoil reduction. Being a smaller case than the 9.3, it doesn't need as large an expansion chamber and it has a longer barrel. It is also a "quiet brake". It sounds like a 22 magnum.

This is my 22 Hornet. Also foam earplug friendly. At least this one looks OK. Roll Eyes

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I even THINK about a suppressor I may be jailed. Big Brother is now in control. What a great collection of arms. What is the third in the trio above? 22Hornet, 303, and ??? Packy

one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted Hide Post
New modifications on this gun

Yep, my great gunsmith did it again. For USD150 (!) he attached a picatinny rail I bought from Canada, and crafted yet another picatinny-compatible rail on the underside of the barrel for attaching a flashlight.

So, since last time we spoke, the gun has undergone yet another few modifications. It is now close to perfect...
- A McMillan stock, 1/2" longer than normal, aluminium pillars and some extra flush mounts here and there.
- A picatinny rail from Near Mfg, Canada. A sonderful piece of art.
- A detachable ghost ring from XS Ghost sights.
- The picatinny rail under the barrel, crafted from a solid block of steel.
...and never mind the harris bipods, I don't normally use them for this gun. They're there to make the photography easier. However, sometimes I attach a Zeiss 3-12x56 to this little rascal and it becomes a nice stalking weapon too, the bipods may end up being used with this gun too.

Time to get this done: three weeks.

And no, I don't worry about serial numbers on Internet pictures Wink

-E. Hemingway

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
If I even THINK about a suppressor I may be jailed. Big Brother is now in control. What a great collection of arms. What is the third in the trio above? 22Hornet, 303, and ??? Packy

I think the only restriction in my state is the $200 fed. tax and registration.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HerrBerg:
New modifications on this gun

Ah, took the rifle out to the range to shoot some running moose targets. Shooting with that McMillan stock really did it, shooting was like putting spoons in the kitchen drawer. You don't miss the kitchen drawer, you don't even have a reason to contemplate the possibility.

This was just a near-life-experience, I've never experienced this perfection in a rifle before. The rifle became a mere abstraction that I could disregard, I have never shot running targets like this before.

Cheek against the stock comb, eye falls perfectly behind scope, focus on the target, spine tells finger to pull the trigger without bothering asking my brains for permission, rifle gently recoils like a .223, the sound of BOFF, reload on shoulder, next shot...

And with a 9,3! Wheee... We are going to have great fun this fall!

clap

-E. Hemingway

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HerrBerg,

That rifle is a work of art! I'm a huge ghost ring fan and think it was a smart move.

Matt

Posts: 316 | Location: Jackson, Wyoming | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
If I even THINK about a suppressor I may be jailed. Big Brother is now in control.

What country do you live in where thoughts are a crime?

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I live in the sate of Missouri. I work for the state and if at work you think up a good way to do something you get in trouble. Maybe later the old supervisor gets a man of the year award for YOUR idea. No good deed goes unpunished. Packy

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
A detailed blue print on the suppressor construction would be nice.

Goto Reflex Suppressors in the UK they have detailed drawings here's a link

http://www.reflexsuppressors.co.uk/

Goto the Technical information section on the left and in the "Owners Manual" you'll see dimensions

LASTLY
It's very important that you guys understand the difference between a SUPPRESSOR and a SILENCER

A SUPPRESSOR will infact reduce the noicse of a high velocity rifle like a 300 Win Mag to that of about a 22 Magnum, in addition if subsonic loads are used it will infact "silence " the load.

A SILENCER can ONLY be used with subsonic loads, high velocity loads will still infact crack loudly after it breaks the speed of sound.

The magor difference between the two is that the suppressors have large empty chambers BACK over the barrel, BEHIND the muzzle, with silencer baffles infront.

Silencer only have baffles infront of the muzzle

If you guys ever start pushing to make them legal, you'd better make sure you know what your talking about, some of you don't so please get it right.

The one here in the photos is infact a suppressor NOT a silencer

happy reading
regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote