New
Find
Notify
Tools

new CZ?
 Login/Join

<jdcaley>
posted
Hello forum, I finally found a CZ dealer near my location that can order a 9.3x62. I've noticed that many members here and other forums are shooting the 550American, I was wondering what made people choose the American over the LUX version. Also I already have a 338-06, my gunshop guy says that the two rounds are almost the same and if I wanted a caliber for a better do all rifle I should step up to the 375H&H, any suggestions?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I like the lux model better, but the American is probably better suited to scope shooting. I am also in the market for a .375 H&H and have decided I would like that caliber before a 9.3x62. Remember that the .375 H&H can be loaded back to duplicate the 9.3 x 62. Plenty of .375 bullets as well.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
I never was crazy about the curved "Euro" style stock, much preferring the straight stock of the American model. A REALLY nice shootin' iron, the 550 American is.

The 9.3x62 will do just about anything the 375 will do (ask Ray), with a lot less recoil, powder, etc..

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ550 American in 9.3x62, and I picked it over the Lux version because of the straighter, American style stock. The lack of iron sights are not a concern as yet, but I eventually will send it to Brockman's Gunsmithing and have them install Talley QD bases with the pop up peep sight, along with some kind of front post. Since the iron sights are for backup, I figured I should get the model with the best stock for scope use, hence the American...

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Harry>
posted
We have a new CZ American in 9.3 x 62 and we did not want the sights even though this will be an African rifle.
It will wear a Leupold 2.5 to 8 with German #4a reticule put in by Premier in Va.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The stock style is a matter of comfort. Europeans have long been shooting with their heads up. It is very comfortable. This "Hog's Back" design brings the line of sight about 1/2" higher than the American straight stock.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jdcaley
As you've probably guessed, the Bavarian style stock with the low dropping comb is a major selling issue (or rather deterrant there of) with most people.
I bought the lux version myself, although i had originally the full stock version. the dealer I went through could only find the lux version (last in stock), but it was in the right caliber and it had irons, which i wanted since i wasn't sure if i'd have another $400 to lay out for a new 3-9 leupold.
well, as it turned out i got an old 3-9 from my father. the gun shoots better than it should, the only real time i find a problem with the stock, is benching it.
I honestly can't find a low enough chair to sit on to adequately get that butstock in my shoulder. Off had there's no problem, actually with irons off hand it pointed pretty naturally.

anyhow, hope this gives you a better i dea as to why the lux doesn't seem to sell to big with most people

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know it looks ridiculous, but did somebody else try kneeling behind the bench?

Works great, recoil doesn�t bother. And we don�t worship our guns don�t we?

H

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
FWIW, the straighter comb on a stock yields less apparent recoil. The hog back stock is pure punishment.

I've fitted 2 CZ's with straight fiberglass stocks and use the open sights with both without any problems.

You can install open sights on a CZ American for a few bucks, cheaper than a new stock.

Will

Posts: 19316 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Pure opinion, but the 9.3 is just a 375 wannabe. There is nothing wrong with the 9.3 but it is not a .375. Buy one for nostaglia, but no practical reason to in my opinion.

You can download the 375 to make it whatever you want it to be and a lot cheaper for components.

Will

one of us
posted Hide Post
isn't it interesting that no matter what, some one always has to piss on some one else's parade?

[ 07-03-2002, 20:23: Message edited by: Curtis_Lemay ]

<Harry>
posted
Curtis...you are RIGHT!
Will...if we had wanted a damn 375 H&H we would have bought one. I have had several 375's and sold them all.
If I want a REAL rifle then I will shoot my 416 Rem Mag. Dakota and really get the job done right.

<jdcaley>
posted
sounds like either stock option is useable for the most part. I understand the American comes with rings, and I would have to order rings for the LUX, is Talley the only company that makes rings and bases. My small collection of magazines here at home doesn't really show any sources. I understand Brass can be bought via middway, are there other sources as well? This caliber seems perfect for any type of hunting here in N.America as well as plains animals in Africa. I have read several stories of people hunt Dangerous game with them as well with good results. I don't see myself up against anything dangerous anytime soon, thats why the 9.3 round has got me interested. I could load it light for our biggest of deer and even use it for elk and bears. I just wanted to get the model that I would have most use for. Iron sights would be nice for a backup situation, but I would imagine that if that ever occurs I hope to have someone else there to be the backup. Thanks for all who replied.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdcaley:
sounds like either stock option is useable for the most part. I understand the American comes with rings, and I would have to order rings for the LUX, is Talley the only company that makes rings and bases. My small collection of magazines here at home doesn't really show any sources. I understand Brass can be bought via middway, are there other sources as well? This caliber seems perfect for any type of hunting here in N.America as well as plains animals in Africa. I have read several stories of people hunt Dangerous game with them as well with good results. I don't see myself up against anything dangerous anytime soon, thats why the 9.3 round has got me interested. I could load it light for our biggest of deer and even use it for elk and bears. I just wanted to get the model that I would have most use for. Iron sights would be nice for a backup situation, but I would imagine that if that ever occurs I hope to have someone else there to be the backup. Thanks for all who replied.

Warne makes rings which will the 550, that what i have on mine. one word of caution, they'll add about 1lb extra weight and mine were finished rather roughly and we ended up having to shim it. CZ should make rings for all the modles, though. As for brass, huntington's http://www.huntingtons.com/ supplies norma cases for the 9.3x62 as well as several other European oddballs [Razz] . Although Midway's probably your best bet.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Curtis & Harry:

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. Just my opinion, as I stated.

I really don't need 99% of the rifles I have. If some guy wants a 9.3, what do I care? I'm not trying to sell him anything.

Oh yeah, I need to buy a couple more Tuff Paks; know where they're available?

Will

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hard choice!

-

-
I have decided to get the lux model also in 9.3x62
Was just wondering does is come pre drilled/tapped

what would be the best scope mount high,low,medium
rings for leupold vari-x ii 2-7?

Also I saw some hornady 9mm makarov(.365)95gr. xtp
has anybody tried these or are they to light

Posts: 68 | Location: Houston,Texas | Registered: 27 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tail-Dragger,

The 550, much like the Ruger M-77MkII and the Sakos already has a base on the receiver. basically you're given the option of getting CZ rings, Warne rings or Tally rings (although i'm not sure about those).

[ 07-04-2002, 03:32: Message edited by: Curtis_Lemay ]

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
My CZ .458 Win. has the "hog's back" stock and does not kick any worse than my old Savage with the brake turned off. I was seriously saving for a fullstock CZ in 9,3X62. I have now decided to get a 99 Savage in .358 Win. I have dies, cases, and ammo for a single shot pistol I own. I can also shoot pistol bullets for small game loads. I think you may be correct, though, about Makarov bullets being useful for "cat's sneeze" loads. PAK

one of us
Picture of eric 98
posted Hide Post
I have a 550 LUX 9.3x62 and I used the CZ rings that came with the rifle to mount a new Leupold VX-1 2-7x. I don't have any trouble with this configuration and the rifle feels good and shoots great. I've said before I think the picture of the stock looks to be a more exaggerated image than it is when you actually hold the rifle. I'm pleased with the setup and whichever way you go I think you'll be pleased.

Posts: 287 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Millet also makes rings for the CZ 550. I got mine from Brownells.

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
from www.cz-usa.com

Q: "I bought a CZ 527 and want to mount a scope, but there are no holes for attaching bases. What can I do?"
A: CZ rifles feature a "Dovetailed square bridge" design, this means the receiver has a large dovetail on both the front and rear bridge. To mount a scope you simply mount the ring right to the rifle, one of the best systems around. Rings are available from CZ-USA, Warne and Millett Sights.

so is it a diffrent size than the standard weaver Dovetail?

Posts: 68 | Location: Houston,Texas | Registered: 27 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the full-stocked, hog backed CZ 550 in 9.3x62. Recoil is a shove, nothing unpleasant. The gun raises with the recoil,again not unpleasant.

I think whats wrong is the angle of the butt at the shoulder. I think the gun shoots so good, the inletting is perfect, I don�t want to touch the stock. But my Win Supergrade "points" better. Eventually it might be possible to recut the stock and fit a new recoil pad at a different angle.

There are CZ mounts, too. They are not truely detachable, you need a hex key. Use the middle height, with the low ones check that the ocular bell doesn�t interfere with the bolt handle.

Buy one quick, the � is rising, and the CK is raising even more!

Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tail-Dragger
One big difference with the CZ mount is the location and size of the "recoil tail" on the side of the rear ring. I have the CZ mounts on mine (416 Rigby) and they use a screw slot for tightning not a hex wrench (different screw supplier ?)

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tail gunner I have the same screws on my .416 Rigby CZ as well. If I removed the scope and put it back on It should be relativily at zero beacuse the mounts fit exactly were the dovetails are shouldn't it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
In theory they will, just like the Rugar and Weaver setups, I haven't tested the CZ but my SRH Rugar holds the same zero after remove/replace of the rings.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is good to know thanks tailgunner

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just went to the shooting range the other day with my 9.3X62 CZ 550 American. I was told that the Norma brass, 250 grain RN Wooodleigh bullets, and 50 grains of IMR 4064 powder were a good place to start (for reloading purposes). I read where others had 5 shots in 1" groups with either their own loads or factory loads. The best I did was 3 shot groups and a little under 1". I couldn't believe my eyes. This gun is everything everyone has said it was, as far as accuracy is concerned. The kick (or lack thereof) with the deccelerator butt pad was just as other had said it was-a little more or less than that of a 30.06. I put the medium factory sights on by the way and am very please with them also. I have my gun sighted in 2" high at 100 yards and 2300 FPS but don't know what the drop with be at 150 yards, 200 yards, 250 yards? Any help on this? All in all I think this gun is the best for the price going at this time. And I have owned a Model 70 .375 H&H before and it was also a fine gun. This one just kick a little less. Mike

Posts: 915 | Location: USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote