New
Find
Notify
Tools

cz 550 fs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
anybody have one of these? How does it shoot? Do they come drilled and tapped--don't see where it mentions this on their site

Posts: 217 | Location: upstate ny | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
I don't think any of the CZ's are drilled a tapped. They use a grooved ring mount system like a SAKO in the top of the Receiver.

Check out their webiste at www.CZ-USA.com, or www.CZUB.com I think it is for the international product website from the plant.
I did see recently something on one of the auction sites that was called a "Minnesota" CZ 550 that was drilled and tapped and this one had Weaver bases the guy was selling with the 550 in what looked like an "American" styled stock.
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yeah, I should have said "or do they use the integral mount system like on the 527's" too ;P. I like that system fine as well.

I believe the minnesota style were before they came out with the "americans"--cool looking stock style

one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
Have one in 308. Shoots Rem Corelokt in under an inch 3 shot groups. Really like the single set trigger. Wish it did not have a detachable magazine. Have a Zeiss Divari with 56mm obj on it. Is great for night hog hunts. I believe it is a very fine rifle in its price range. It is the most accurate FS I have and I have a few.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The links in Verhoositz' post are incorrect. The first website is correct, but has a comma included in the link so it doesn't work. The second link is to a site that sells "Teddy Bears". Big Grin The correct address is www.czub.cz

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sounds good so far

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in 9.3x62. It shoots 1-2" groups at 100 yds. The scope is 2-7x Leupold in Leupold rings. The rings are solid steel and attach to the receiver without seperate bases. . . It is light and a little bit of a handfull off the bench. The rifle is handy for carrying and offhand shooting, and the cartridge is powerfull. I like it.

Posts: 83 | Location: Missouri,USA | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I have one in 6.5x55 topped off with a Leupold 1.5-5 in medium Warne QD rings. The little carbine shoots slightly under 1 MOA @ 100yds. CZs (and BRNO) have 19 mm dovetailed receivers with relieved area for a recoil block. Sako also uses dovetailed receivers. If you scope one, I suggest using medium Warne QDs, the stock has a lot of drop in it. The medium Warne QDs seem to be a perfect fit for the little carbine, not too high, not too low.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info--thats the same caliber I was thinking to get. I actually came across a used mannlicher-schoenauer in 7x57 thats very sweet and I'm considering, but I've been very happy with my other cz's so far (452 and 527) and with the cz I'd get a warranty...the 7x57 is so nice though--must weigh all of 5-6 pounds, has the dual set trigger and even without using the set has a trigger better than most production rifles these days, and its extremely light with the set. Great shape too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't see a lot of used CZs on the market, but CZ used to make a Full Stock in 7x57mm. I know, cause I helped get my brother one of these and he loves the thing. It is a .75 inch three shot group shooter with 160 grain Nosler Partitions going 2,745 fps and using H414 powder. There is a fellow on GunBroker.com under CZ 550s advertising CZ 550 Full Stocks for $550 and he said he has them in 7x57mm. CZ stopped making the full stock in 7x57mm more than a year ago, but it is worth a look anyway. They are one sweet little rifle, especially in the 7x57mm. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom...
I think I found the seller you referred to: "Ton 80." Looks like he is using an old CZ spec page which lists the 7X57. I called him about this time last year looking for one and he said he had none and no more would be available.

It's my guess that he just got lazy or careless and lifted some old and inaccurate info. Sure would love to have one of those, though.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well, I would guess that what happened is he used to site someone listed above, which appears to be an overseas website, rather than the czusa website, and the 7x57 is still listed on the overseas site, along with wayyyy more model variations. Its not unusual for calibers to be available overseas which they don't offer here--Tikka does the same thing. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, we're the only ones who get the cheapened T3 model--the whitetails are still available overseas (I believe they are called Master's rather than Whitetail's over there)

I'm semi surprised that the 7x57 must not be as popular as the 6.5x55 here, although with the growing popularity of the 7-08 in the US, while the 260 never took off (in these parts anyway) maybe the 7x57 has more competition as far as a very similar performance caliber. Personally I'd like one of both--7x57 AND 6.5x55 ;P Those were calibers I grew up reading about

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry. I had the wrong outfit. It is on GunsAmerica.com. Type in CZ 550 and go to the one from Mountain Ridge Sports. It lists the Full Stock in 6.5x55, 7x57 Mauser, .30/06 and .270 for $550. I too am surprised about CZs decision to drop the 7x57mm from its lineup. Each time someone posts something about the old gal on the forums the thing seems to grow and grow. CZ even dropped the caliber from its listing in the CZ 550 American as well. I find the 7x57 more than enough for anything I have hunted, would like to hunt, or probably will hunt. It just does what I ask of it and does it quite well thank you. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scubie 02
Mountain Ridge Sports had them about a month ago in 7x57. I believe they are located in Coudersport, PA.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
Wish I had asked about this at the NRA Convention. I did askabout 9.3x62s because I heard they were not importing them anymore. The CZ rep said the FS 9.3 x62 was being imported and my information was wrong. Wonder what he would have said about the 7mm.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
Glen71
Glad you caught my errors...sometimes its hard to type straight at midnite30 with the only two fingers I have that can type at all! LOL!

Ya'll got any CZ dealers down there? I talked to TommyZ at Carters looking for a 9.3 and never did find one in any style. I don't think Carter's is carrying 550's at all from what I remember of the conversation.

Both Joe McBride, at McBrides in Austin and another old friend, Roger George at Pigeon Road Shooting Range in Stephenville told they would find me whatever I wanted if I willing to wait.
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I called Mountain Ridge yesterday and was told they moved the last 7X57 out a week or so ago. Drat !!

Thanks for the heads-up, anyway.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Mountain Ridge Sports told me they sold their last one 6 or 8 months ago, when I called them then. They seem disorganized or full of it!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19316 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote