THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    .30-06 which bullet for game...and why???
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.30-06 which bullet for game...and why???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
hi@ all,
my ammount of ammo for my .30-06 is running out, and i now thinking about which bullet i should take for my new loads.
The ammo i used the last 10 years where a Norma Factoryload with a PS SILVERBLIXT Bullet, and gave me superb "service" from roe up to red�s.
But Norma stopped producing the Silverblixt Bullet, and another fact is, that i spoke to a hunter who said that for him the Silverblixt Bullet is the worsest bullet he ever has used.
I�m thinking about the Nosler Partition or any similar Bullet which gives u perfect penetration and -if possible- an instant killing effect.
I need the .30-06 for any game from roe to boar, and because of the boars it�s a must that the bullet perform well and has the "power" to leave it even under bad angles or circumstances.(We do aour boarhunting by night)
And suggestions on Norma Oryx, Lapua, Sako .....???
If u can give me some further details, why the bullet you recommend is suitable, i �ll appreciate it.
What about meat damage, bloodtrails, what was the average "escape-distance" of your shooten game?????

P.S. I like to load the ammo myself, so i�m not dependent on fabric-loads.

Thank to all "posters" [Smile] in advance ,Waidmannsheil
Konstantin
aka konst#1

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
uppps,
Sorry for the double posting [Confused]
I had a problem with my pc.
Please just dicuss the thread in this thread, and let the other "run out".

cheers
konst#1

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I used a 30-06 I got great results from 150 grain Sierra boattails and 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. I would not try the Ballistic Tips for boar though. I would feel good with the Partitions.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Since boar is on your menu & I assume you only want a single load, then one of Norma's 180gr loads would be my choice. I have only experience w/ the Nosler Part. & it is a fine bullet in any caliber.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
165 Hornadys in my 30-06 & 180 gr. Hornadys in my 30-06 IMP.

-

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<abnrigger>
posted
How big are the Boars?

I like the 180 grain Nosler Partition with 56 gr. of IMR 4350 for 2750 ft/s in my 30-06 (Browning Auto Rifle.) Some of the boars here in Texas can get rather large 300 lbs + but the 180 gr Nosler bores through them at any angle and they leave a good blood trail, good and short. Meat damage is minimal much less than would be with say a 165-180 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets which also work well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler Partitions 165gr or 180gr, RL22 powder,WLR primers and WW cases right out of the Nosler manual. MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd second the notion of the 180gr Nosler Partition with 4350. I have used this bullet with my 30-338 and with my 30-06. I get similar velocities to those reported above in the 30-06. But I have taken more animals with the 30-338 load at 3000fps. The point is, the bullet holds up under the added velocity, and still performs at 2750. I don't think you will be disappointed if you place your bullet well. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
Konstantin
Thanks heaven for Norma dropping the Silverblixt !! It has a bad reputation for breaking up on bones, and lacking penetration abilities. Many love it though ?????
About the 30-06...Go with the 180 grain bullets.
150 and 165 is ok for roe, but I prefer the 180 grain in 30-06.
That is THE single bullet weight you can use for all your mentioned hunting.
Nosler PT is a safe bet, but the Oryx is gaining a very good reputation here in Scandinavia among moose and red deer hunters.
Personally my choice would be the 180 gr Oryx. FWIW.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey Arild,
funny ....the same i heared from a danish hunter too...about the silverblixt [Smile]
On boars i aim directly onto the shoulder, so the bullet has to break the bones, and the Silverblixt never dissapointed me. I get every time two wholes-in and out- never had any failure in bullet performance. Just luck or maybe the lot of my ammunition had a different set of the materials then the ones u used or the later manufactured Silverblixt.

Thanks to all the other responders too.
I guess i�ll go with the Partition in 180grains.
Because i planned a trip to scotland this year to hunt on some red stags i thought of taking a lighter bullet ,because of a flatter trajectory.
But i guess the Nosler PT will be suitable for long distance shots ..up to 250m,too.
What precision the PT shows on the target range?
I loaded some 260grain for my .375H&H, and i was astonished ( in a pos. way) they gave me a very good precision. 14 shots on 100meters, 3cm.
I was astonished, because i heared that the Nosler PT isn�t a bullet which is known for precision as the Ballistic Tip.
Although i never used the Ballistic Tip, i�m not a fan of it, because i heared that on boares the results are bad.

P.S: The average weight of our boares is 60KG, but the weights can get up to 150KG,...not often but possible.
And i think it�s better to take a thougher bullet, you never know. When a big Keiler shows up, i thing i �ld feel not quite comfortable with a light an fragile bullet in my rifle.

A good hunt to everyone this year,
Waidmannsheil from Berlin, Germany
konstantin
aka konst#1

<Harry>
posted
When in doubt...always go to Nosler Partitions and the 180 grn.
I have had good luck with 180grn. Sako Hammerheads too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen lots of big tough critters killed with Nosler Partitions. Many of them by lighter loads than your 30-06.
I have no doubt it will be just what you need. I suspect the 165 gr. weight will do well if for some reason you want to go lighter. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
180 Nosler Ballistic Tips give target accuracy. Whatever your gun is capable of, BT's will demonstrate it. The Partitions I have used open up from the BT's, but only by 25-33%, which is to say, in my 30-338, which will shoot .75MOA, the Partition would be 1.0MOA.

In 30-06, out to 250m, you will be within a 6" circle the whole way. Or put another way, your minimum point blank range is right at 250m.

I like to use the heaviest bullet I can with a give cartridge. In .30 bore, I'd use 150's in a 30-30; 165's in a 308Win; and 180's in 30-06. In Magnums, I'd use the 180's, 200's and even 220's depending upon the game and the range. Ku-dude

[ 06-05-2002, 23:23: Message edited by: Ku-dude ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ku-dude, and all others,I am wondering about 200gr Grand Slams in a 30-06. Is there anything to choose from between them and 180gr Partitions? I am thinking mostly about bushvelt situations, is there a class or specie of plains game that would call for the 200gr Grand slams over the Nosler part??

Both show splendid accuracy out to 100m. (I have not as yet tested the 200gr GS at any greater distance. I am confident in the 180gr partition out to 340yds.) It would seem that the 200gr would have some possible range limitations earlier than the 180gr partition, but if ranges are not stretched, would it be a better performer, ie. - terminal balistics-wise?? Would I ever be able to see a difference in performance on game??

Thank you,
Bill

Posts: 165 | Location: Adams, NE USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
Laupa mega 180 grain, Norma Oryx 180 grain or Sierra Match Kings [Big Grin]

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
konst#1 , I use the 200-grain Nosler Partition bullet launched at 2700 FPS by 60 grains of H4831 or Acc. Arms MR 3100 (could use a similar load of MRP)in my .30/'06 for all types of game. I once used 220 grain Hornady roundnose bullets at 2500 for all shooting under 200 yards, but this load did not provide sufficient range for some occasions, so I changed to a pointed bullet. I would use a 220 grain spitzer game bullet if someone made them, but so far, to the best of my knowledge, only target bullets are being made in spitzer BT form in 220 grain weight. Waidmanns Heil, Herr Mayer!!

<dirty ernie>
posted
Use Failsafes!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
180 gr Nosler Ballistic tips and 180gr. Nosler Partitions. Either one in front of 56.5 gr. of Imr 4350. Deadly combo my friend. They shoot pretty much to the same point of impact. The 180 BT doesn't seem to blow up and shed as much weight as the lighter BT's. It drives through a lot farther than you would expect, just try to stay away from shoulder bones inside of 50 yards. The partition will crush damn near anything and is fairly accurate also.

[ 06-17-2002, 22:08: Message edited by: Carnivore ]

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
Man, this is so cool. Killin boar in Europe. I think us americans forget that there is game elsewhere beside North America and Africa. So how big do that get in Europe? What other game do you guys go for over there. All the Europeans I work with say they never knew anyon e that hunted over there. So its pretty interesting to me. Are they like wild russian boars? I hunt them in WV with Swift A-Frames. They are expensive, but for Magnums, these bonded bullets hold together real well. But it doesn't create the exit wound I would like but the penetration is the best I have ever seen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
hey big country,
the wild boars overhere in the middle of europe, doesn�t get as big as the ones in bulgaria or russia. I think the average boar is about 50-90 KG, some between 100-120 and if you have luck, you can grab one of the real hugh ones, which will weight arround 150-200KG.
Other game , on which we hunt is:
rabbits, sucks, pheasanta. hares, doves goose and roe�s, fallow,reds, boars and in some areas sika stags.In the mountains u can hunt chamoises,if u have the chance to hunt there. You may know that we have a tag system for hunting. If u like to hunt u first have to made a course ( 8 months) with some real big examination in different special fields:dogs,guns,law,the different game,forestry shooting.....

by the way
Roes are about 10-25kg,fallows25-70Kg,reds 60 -250kg, boars 10-150 and sometimes up to 200KG [Eek!]

cheers
konst#1

one of us
posted Hide Post
sorry:
not sucks [Big Grin] ...i want to say Ducks!!

cheers & Waidmannsheil
konstantin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh Oh,
think it�s to late in the night for posting [Wink]
One mistake after the othet ;(

...we don�t have a tag sytem
...not pheasanta=> pheasants
Hope i found all mistakes i made in spelling [Smile]

cheers
konst#1

<bigcountry>
posted
Pretty cool, thanks for the info. I killed a boar in West Virginia, (the russian strain I think), and seen some monsters 300lbs or better from there. Its some extremely tough huntin however. going thru thornbushes on a 50degree incline. And the kill rate is very low. I have only gotten into them twice in 5 years. You can see where they have been but harder find. If they are that small, I might pass on the the swifts. Bullistic Tips or Partitions sounds like the ticket for you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but I have not the opportunity to use the Speer GS. The only bullet that I have used in .308 heavier than 180 was Sierra Game King 200gr. This bullet shot and performed well; however, I believe in the 30-06 that the 180gr bullets are better balanced load. It will penetrate well and will shoot straight. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
I only have experience with 150 and 165 Partitions in the 30-06. When I use the 180s I tend to go up to the .300 Win Mag. In any caliber I believe you will find the Partitions do the job. That front end will open up and the back end will blow through. You won't tend to get those pretty mushroom shapes many other bullets give but you will get a lot of dead game. If I were going to use the 30-06 for all my hunting I would probably opt for the 180 Partition and never look back.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
KONST#1,
The game I am after determines which bullet I use. For animals up to about 300 pounds and closer than 300 yards I prefer a 150 grain flat base bullet. I've had good results with the Sierra. Strangely, I've not had good accuracy with the 150 grain boattail. I think that the bearing surface may be a little short on the boattail. The boattail design does have a ballistic advantage, but the advantage doesnot become apparent until after 300 yards. The Sierra 165 grain boattail is a fine bullet, and if I maybe shooting over 300 yards I'll use it instead of the 150 grain bullet. For game as large as the american elk I once used the 180 grain bullet. This was primarily because of the deeper penetration. I've found that the 165 grain Nosler Partition is a better selection. The Partition design insures penetration equal to, or greater than, the 180 Grain bullet. With the higher initial velocity the trajectory of the 165 is better than the 180. The impact energy is greater with the 180 grain bullet, but just barely. I have a friend who uses the 165 grain Sierra boattail on everything from prairie dogs to elk. It works for him. If you want to settle on just one bullet, the 165 grain Nosler Partition would be my selection. Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the .308 calibers. Right now I have settled on the following bullets for each .308 caliber that I own. I have been able to get all of the following bullets to shoot well under MOA in each rifle:

.308 Win / 165 Nosler Partition
.30-06 / 180 Nosler Partition
300 Win Mag / 200 Swift A-Frame
300 H&H / 220 Nosler Partition

The velocities for all of the above bullet/cartrige combinations shoot between 2,700fps to 2,900fps. My only problem is which one to take when I go hunting (in addition to my .243, .270, .338 WM, 375H&H & 458WM).

Oh well, I could have worse problems!

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,
thanks a lot for the given help.
As soon as I manage to reload some ammo-i think i will try the Nosler PT- and manage to get some game with it, i will get back to u, to tell u what "results" i get.

Till soon
Konstantin

posted Hide Post
Hallo Konstanin,

Deine Frage kannst Du auch im W&H Forum stellen.
Nur falls Du das nicht kennen solltest. [Big Grin]

222Rem

Posts: 9 | Location: Germany | Registered: 23 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Nosler 165 gr BT or the woodeleigh 165 gr Protected point. I have not used the woodeleigh for a while as I shoot a lot od thin skinned stuff. Both are good bullets for there purposes.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<peregrinus>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by konst#1:
hi@ all,
my ammount of ammo for my .30-06 is running out, and i now thinking about which bullet i should take for my new loads.

Konstantin
aka konst#1

Hallo hunters,
I really wonder that no one seems to have experience with the Barnes"X" bullet. I load it in various calibers for my friends and me and consider it being top reliable (more than the Nosler Partitions which blow up now and then)and at least as deadly.
In the .30-06 I use the 165-grainer. Since it does not loose weight penetration normally exceeds those of 180-200 grainers of traditional design. The 180-grainers are perfect for the bigger cases.

I really would appreciate hearing from your experience with this bullet.

regards
Peregrinus

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never found a better bullet than the 180 gr. Nosler in a 30-06...that is about all I use, I tried them all and keep coming back to the 180 Nosler....

The BarnesX bullets are great when they work but they fail often, at least they have with me on more than a few ocassions. They apparantly work fine for some other hunters I know.

Posts: 41868 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
If I am hunting for game large than deer,I load the Nosler 180 grain Partiton.I have dropped Mountain Goat,Moose,and one Alberta Buck,in their tracks.It's my money load.If I'm paying for a hunt,I want performance,and the past performance of the Partiton are fine.I did shoot an Elk with a .270 and a Partiton,but he ran quite a bit.That's when I switched to a bigger caliber.I now shoot a .30 Gibbs.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com
[Wink]

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
In my Remington 700BDL, I use 60.0 grains of H-4831 behind a Sierra 180 SPBT in Winchester cases with Federal standard rifle primers with the bullet seated almost touching the lands. I've been using this load for over 20 years. Accurate and devastating. Everything I ever shot with it dropped on the spot. I can't say the same for any other Gun/bullet/load.

Careful though, this is a MAX load even for a modern firearm. Follow normal load development procedures and drop load 10% and work up carefully.

[ 07-26-2002, 22:23: Message edited by: Pa.Frank ]

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
<empty chamber>
posted
The 180gr Nosler Partition is all I ever use. Have'nt tried much else because there is no need to, seems everything drops when hit with it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I could pick only one bullet for use in the 30-06 it would be the 180 Nosler Partition. It will work on any game the 30-06 should be used on.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
For anything an 06 is capable of taking I like speer or hornady.

I did my own cut apart test including a nosler, hornady, speer and a sierra and my conclusion was that they "all" use a lot of hype to push their products.
The things that really make them perform on game
like jacket and core alloys, swaging methods and quality control are to intricate to be "impressive" to the GP, so they push a lot of gimmicks.

One thing the nosler crowd wont acknowledge is that the longer a core and jacket are the less likley a core seperation is. In other words a "well selected" single core will give a better mushroom effect than a partition with its frontal core gone.

Now if we were talking about a 375 Mag or ?? for Dangerous game yes, I would suggest a Premium (tougher) bullet. It was magnum mania that produced the need for tougher bullets, not the 30-06 era.

[ 08-01-2002, 09:15: Message edited by: Wstrnhuntr ]

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<peregrinus>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
The things that really make them perform on game
like jacket and core alloys, swaging methods and quality control are to intricate to be "impressive" to the GP, so they push a lot of gimmicks.

Now if we were talking about a 375 Mag or ?? for Dangerous game yes, I would suggest a Premium (tougher) bullet. It was magnum mania that produced the need for tougher bullets, not the 30-06 era.[/QB]

Hi Westernhunter,

I fully agree with anything you say regarding conventional bullets, including the Nosler partition, from own experience.

However, having used cartridges like the 7mm Rem, the 5,6x57, the 6,5x68, the 7mm STW, the .300 RUM, the .340 Wea. and a lot others (or saw them used by friends for whom I reload)brought me to the conviction that something with a broader scale of flexibility is required - a different design.

That brought me to the Barnes"X" bullet and I have yet to see one which fails to perform. I really wonder that no one in this forum seems to have experience with this bullet.

good hunting
Peregrinus

one of us
posted Hide Post
hi and welcome peregrinus,
the world is sooooooo small [Smile]

i heared good and bad over the barnes x.
like Ray says: it�s a good bullet...when it performs like it should. but he had some problems with the x-bullet,so he uses the nosler pt..because they never failed to do..what they should=>perform.

i never used the x or the nosler PT on game.....so i can�t say something about them, but Ray is not the only one who made some bad experiences with the barnes. some say, they just do not bring out a good precission out of any gun=> but on the other hand i�ve heared that you can reduce or eliminate this by seating the bullets not so far / deep in the bore ( m�glichst viel rotationslosen flug).
on the other hand the barnes-like other copper solids- leave a lot of fouling in the bore,so u have to clean the gun more often, compared to the use of normal soft-points.
other hunters say, that -especially on smaller game- the results the x is bringing concerning shock etc...,isn�t as good as with other bullets.
but as i stated above,....just heared of these problems...that�s one of the reasons why i don�t want to use the x-bullet, although my interesting in it was very big.

waidmannsheil aus Deutschland,
servus
konstantin

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by peregrinus:

The However, having used cartridges like the 7mm Rem, the 5,6x57, the 6,5x68, the 7mm STW, the .300 RUM, the .340 Wea. and a lot others (or saw them used by friends for whom I reload)brought me to the conviction that something with a broader scale of flexibility is required - a different design.

That brought me to the Barnes"X" bullet and I have yet to see one which fails to perform. I really wonder that no one in this forum seems to have experience with this bullet.

good hunting
Peregrinus[/QB]

Yes I agree. Most bullets on the market are designed to function within a velocity/work window and something like a failsafe or an "X" or even a solid is very well used where extreme penetration is nessesary. But not every type of hunting nessesitates that sort of performance.

Incidently Saeed is a very big fan of the Barnes X. I think they are a fine bullet too, in fact under the right circumstances I would try nearly any bullet, I just dont think that there is any ONE bullet that is BEST for all types of guns and all types of hunting. There is a plethora of bullet technology available to the handloader today, why not use it.. [Wink]

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote