THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    .30-06 which bullet for game...and why???
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.30-06 which bullet for game...and why???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think whether or not your rifle will shoot the X's accurately has more to do with their use then any perceived performance issues. I load for three 30-06's (well, four if you count the Garand) and only one of them will shoot the X bullet well. That particular rifle is very accurate with the 150 gr X (not the boat tail), but only at 2850 fps velocity. In the other two, I haven't found a load with an X bullet that is accurate enough. In the other two, the 180 gr Win Failsafe gets the nod for one, and the 180 gr Rem Core Lokt for the other. I only have a few rifles that will shoot the X's well, regardless of caliber. Not sure why, really, but there it is. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<peregrinus>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by dan belisle:
In the other two, I haven't found a load with an X bullet that is accurate enough. FWIW - Dan

Hi Dan,
the "X" bullet shoots as least as well as match bullets given you take account of one of its peculiarities which is now also mentioned on the Barnes web site:
You must seat this bullet deeper than others, at least 0,05 to 0,1" short of the lands.
Also, maximum pressure and velocity is often reached with smaller charges than with other bullets of the same weight - and it likes relatively clean barrels.

In my 7mm STW I regularly got three shots inside of 0,3" at 100 m e t e r s out of a McMillan Match Grade barrel.

The 165 gr "X" load I prepare for my friends holds 1-1 1/2" (five shots)out of several different .30-06es which I call adequate for big game hunting (no special load development for particular rifles was done.)
Regards
Peregrinus