THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    What barrel contour for .338 win mag?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What barrel contour for .338 win mag?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted
I need some advice here. I'm putting together a .338 win mag on a Mauser 98 action. I plan to mount at least a 26" barrel to try to make up for the Cartridge OAL imposed by the action. I noticed that Pac Nor and Shilen have the same contours, Douglas barrels seem to run a little lighter in the same contour. In any of these the #4 contour is the start of the 26" length. The #5 is a bit heavier.

I plan to use this for anything larger than what I feel my .30-06 is suited to. My -06 weighs 8.5 lbs scoped. I used to be recoil sensitive so kept it that way. These days recoil isn't an issue but I've become accustomed to the 8.5 lb weight. I know the Mauser action isn't the lightest and I'll be using a wood stock.

My questions are what is a reasonable weight to shoot for in this combo and which barrel and contour would be better.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
a # 4 or a # 1400 in Lothar Walter contours is large enough. I use the # 1400 Lothar Walter at 25" on a FN400 Supreme action with a McMillian stock, Leupold rings/bases & Leupold 3.5x10.

[ 10-05-2002, 16:47: Message edited by: Bear Claw ]

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I chose the #1450 Super Magnum Sporter for my Lothar walther. It shoots great, isn't to heavy to carry and has perfect balance for off-hand shots.
 -

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle Andre'. [Smile]

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I agree Andre', very nice rifle. It looks to me like the 1450 and #5 conours I mentioned are the same. I need the barrel by the end of next week for a class I have. I doubt I can get the Lothar Walther soon enough. Pac Nor or Shilen both have #5's ready to ship. I'll call both Monday to see who can ship soonest.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The factory taper on my model 70 is lightr than a #5, and is plenty heavy for a 338, which your not going to shoot like a vermint rifle. If I was going to build another rifle, I'd personally go with a #3. Recoil is highly overrated. Lite rifles aren't. My 338 weighs 8# with scope and sling, and while you wouldn't probably shoot 50 full house 225gr loads(3050fps) comfortably, it is by no means punishing.

Posts: 198 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Z1R the 1450 is closer to what would amount to a 4 1/2 contour.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Bear Claw,

You are right, the 1450 is a slightly smaller contour than the #5. I can't imagine that it would amount to more than a few ounces though. I think if time weren't an issue I'd hold out for a number 4 but alas it is. It seems everybody but Shilen requires a 5 week delivery time. Sadly, the Shilen #5 is the heaviest of the bunch. I'm going to call the instructor and see if it is absolutely necessary to have the barrel now.

Thanks for the input.

-Mike

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Ok,

I settled on a Douglas #4. Thankfully, the nice folks at Brownells had one and can ship tomorrow.

Wish me luck putting this together. It'll be my first true custom that I put together 100% myself.

I've rebarrelled before, drilled and tapped, etc. But this will be the first rifle I replace the bolt handle on, remove the charger hump, remove the crest from front ring, open bolt face, well, you get the idea. Class is the week of 21st-25th. I'll report back afterward.

Thanks for the input.

-Mike

[ 10-08-2002, 01:13: Message edited by: z1r ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
A 4 or even a 3 will work fine, but you will have to go to a 4 to get a 26" finished barrel...#4 is the best of the lot for a 338.

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Just received the Douglas barrel yesterday. Thanks to all that suggested I get the #4 contour. I couldn't imagine that I would have liked the #5. At this rate the finnished rifle should weigh in at about 8.5 lbs minus scope.

By the end of next week I should have the barrel fitted.

Thanks,

Mike