THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Savage Precision Carbine in .308 Win

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Precision Carbine in .308 Win
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Finally finished putting together my rifle. I'll be going to the range Saturday to do the break in and see how it shoots.

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
Good looking piece. tu2

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Range was mighty busy so I didn't get to shoot very much. What I did get to shoot looks VERY promising. Shot under MOA and I think with some time behind the trigger and finding the right load it should shoot .5 or better.

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornSome folks have a rather low OPINION of Savage. I hope you just enjoy the peediddle out of it. tu2roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
I have a PC in 223, it's my most accurate rife. Shoots everything great. You will really like it.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Savage 16FCSS Weather Warrior for my son to deer hunt with. It consistantly outshoots my Weatherby Accumark 300 mag. I have the money to buy whatever brand I want and now choose Savage because of their out of box accuracy. I sold my Remington 700's and replaced them with the Savage 16 and a model 12VLP DBM. I get .3 inch groups with the 12 and .4 inch with the 16. I am not bragging or beating my chest it's just that Savage's are that accurate. You will want to try 168 grain Amax or SMK bullets with a charge of 44 grains of Reloader15. My barrel is 22" long with a 1 in 10 twist and averages 2720 fps with that load. As a matter of fact if I shoot a 3/4 inch group with that load I get mad for the injustice I just inflicted on the gun. Don't ever feel like your gun isn't good enough compared to the high priced whatevers someone is bragging about. Just shoot your nice tight little groups and act like you feel sorry for their overpriced mistake.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After the break in is complete I'll be using 175 grain pulled bullets from M118 ammo. My first powder to try will be RL15, then we'll see where it goes from there.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bartsche: Savage rifles have always had their detractors, but the current line seems to come in for more undeserved criticism. Damn thing is that they are indeed the most accurate out-of-the-box rifles out there. I'll take a Model 70 for a DG gun, but if I want to kill flies at 100 meters and win matches, give me a Savage.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of the Savage critics have never shot one.
I'm up to six now and can't find one that won't shoot. I have some interesting ones or at least interesting to me.
Model 10 in 250Savage
model 12fv in 220Swift
Stevens 200 in 257Roberts
Stevens 200 in 250 Ackley Improved
wistrapper, if this is your first Savage I don't think it will be your last. Your rifle looks great!
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As for me, I purchased three of the Precision Target Actions, two right port, right bolt, and one Dual Port. With a collection of barrels from Shilen, Brux and Pac-Nor, and all four bolt head sizes, I can switch between .204 Ruger, .223 Remington, 6mm PPC, and .243 WSSM in several contours and twist rates. All shoot under .5" and amaze me for their consistency. Savage is a great DIY rifle. If I hadn't missed out on the Sporter and Varmint actions last year, I'd have built up on them too!