New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 308 Alternatives
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I don't know what I was thinking, recommending the 7mm-08. The 7x57 is a much better, "classic" choice for chambering a Mauser 98. I really am a traditionalist when it comes to rifle calibers, and prefer the 7x57 over the 7mm-08, the 6.5x55 over the .260 Rem, etc. If you want a real thumper, the 9.3x62 looks like a really interesting round to play with.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Quote:

Johan,you sound very metric to me

But your choices are the best.

Not soo strange "you" live in the land of confusion , inches, feet, yards, miles, ounces, punds and square feets.

I my country is most is metric Not soo strange that I sound metric Actually, in the list is the 270 win converted to metric I think your suggestion is fine

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of GBF
posted Hide Post
Johan, Johan, Johan..."Not soo strange "you" live in the land of confusion , inches, feet, yards, miles, ounces, punds and square feets."

what is the story behind the swedish mile ?

Regards

Posts: 392 | Location: Insula Thule | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
GBF
What? I expected you to know. Are you not adapting when you move to a new country A swedish mile is ten kilometers or 10.000 meters. How many kilometers is the Iceland mile? I guess you don't use nautical messures on land

/JOHAN

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Actually, in the list is the 270 win converted to metric

I thought that 6.9x64mm sounded a lot like a .270!

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Quote:

I thought that 6.9x64mm sounded a lot like a .270!

This time is was not a ricochet but a direct hit
Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Johan!

Hey, IEATROOS: Are those things any good?

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were you I would forget the 7-08 and just get another .308. I am a little biased as it is my favorite cartridge for medium game You can load a .308 down with 130 gr. Barnes and get 3100 if you stroke it and that will be plenty flat shootin. Also you dont have to worry about switchin guns b/c if youd like to go after something bigger just load a 165-180 between 2700-2800 fps. Its an underated cartridge.

Posts: 121 | Location: Central VA | Registered: 13 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hey, IEATROOS: Are those things any good?

What? Roos? Yeah they're not bad.

Thanks for all your replies. I forgot to mention that I also have a 243 so I probably wouldn't step down to a 7mm or 6.5mm for being too close to Winchester's 6mm. I'd still like to have something fairly high powered.

The 7mm mag is interesting though. Pity about all the other mods that have to be done. Will 300 win mag be troublesome also? If so I think I will stick to the 08 or change to the 06.

Posts: 37 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
IEATROOS

Magnums require to open the boltface, extractor, modify receivers magazine rails and new magazine box/floorplate.

If you must have a 30, I would go with the 3006. I like the 7mm much better than 30 cal... 7X64 or 280 rem is a option worth thinking about

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
With modern powders and bullets, the 270 Win will do anything a 7MM mag will do on thin skinned game. A 130 grainer at 3150 fps from a 24 inch bbl is all you need.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take the opportunity to upgrade to a 35 Whelen or a 9.3x62.

Posts: 515 | Location: AZ | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
interboat---I like your thinking. I'm a medium bore fan for big game, love the 9.3 idea. (also shoot a 350 mag.& a 375h&h).

Posts: 202 | Location: davenport, iowa | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote