New
Find
Notify
Tools

284 winchester Q?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a BSA Royal mauser type 243 which iam thinking of rebarreling to 284 ,i have a 7mm walther lothar barrel blank .What barrel length is the optimum length to get the most out of this calibre ?Is it a hard round to get to feed ? I just want to use one proj for everything is 175gr the best for it ? whats your opinion of this round ? if you own one ? thought it would make an ideal lightweight mountain rifle calibre thanks for any advice and ideas !

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 284 Win in an Alpha Grand Slam with a 21" barrel. I love it as it is light weight and very accurate. However, I think that the 130, 140, 150 and maybe the 160 grain bullets would be much better than a 175 grain for most applications. Barnes even suggest one should use a little less bullet weight when using a barnes bullet. Maybe a 130 or 140 grain bullet. I used a 150 grain Nosler Partition on my Carbou hunt and it worked great with complete pass through
quote:

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with the BSA Mauser. What length is it? If it will accomodate '06-length cartridges, then you're better off chambering for 280 Remington. The .284 can have challenges in feeding, but if you've selected a competent gunsmith to do the work, that should be no problem.

What do you intend to shoot with it? The 175 in a 7mm is usually only used for the largest game like elk and moose. Even then, there are 160 grain bullets that do as well and provide you with a better trajectory. If you are confining the gun to lighter to medium big game (deer, sheep, carabou), then 140-150 grain projectiles are appropriate.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tankhunter:
I have a BSA Royal mauser type 243 which iam thinking of rebarreling to 284 ,i have a 7mm walther lothar barrel blank .What barrel length is the optimum length to get the most out of this calibre ?Is it a hard round to get to feed ? I just want to use one proj for everything is 175gr the best for it ? whats your opinion of this round ? if you own one ? thought it would make an ideal lightweight mountain rifle calibre thanks for any advice and ideas !

You could just rechamber it for 6mm-284, best of both worlds...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14376 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek ,its a mid length action which will not take a 30-06.medium game up to deer ,i would just like to settle on one load for everything .It has a 21 inch barrel with a muzzle brake that would scare a dog out of a butchers shop ! so i would prefer to rebarrel it

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I can understand now! Getting rid of a muzzle brake is a worthy undertaking for any rifle or caliber.

The .284 may be exactly what you need in that case. However, you'll find performance rather limited with bullets of more that about 150 grains as the bullet will necessarily protrude rather deeply into the powder space with the limited action length. If you can live with 150 grain bullets (and a Nosler Partition or other good bullet of this weight will take anything a .284 is capable of taking), then the .284 may be just the ticket. But if you're shooting nothing larger than deer, there's nothing to be gained by loading anything heavier than a 140.

Barrel length depends on your personal preference and you'll keep gaining velocity even if you make it a 36-incher. In practical terms, anything longer than 24 inches gains little, and less than 22 inches may begin to disappoint you in velocity readings and muzzle blast. I would make it longer rather than shorter, as you can always trim an inch or two if you find its length a handicap . . . but it's hard to glue a little back on if you cut it too short at first Wink

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zzWop
posted Hide Post
Barrel length 24â€-26†or longer if you can carry it.
It can be tricky “to get to feedâ€, remember that: time = money.
Nothing magic about the 284 Win. The weight of your Walther Lothar barrel blank will have more do to with the weight of the rifle.
I started with the 145g and have been using 120g-162g with total success. Love the Speer 145g BT. Cool

I would recommend the 7mm-08 it is a much easier conversion. Screw in a 24" light weight tube and it will do anything a 7mm needs to do.

I'd rather be hunting!!

Posts: 26 | Location: Australia | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote