New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most accurate 30-30 available
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm pretty sure this would be a Contender carbine so just what can I expect when my barrel arrives as to accuracy. This will be a 23 inch G2 style barrel. I once owned a 14 inch barrel that would shoot MOA with many loads using the Speer 130 grain HP.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Beefa
posted Hide Post
I have a win model 94, MOA for my rifle with open sights would be nice but its astricly a pig hunting gun and I dont think it was built for an bench type shooting !

Beefa270: Yes I really love my 270win

Posts: 114 | Location: Southern Sydney Australia | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
New England Handirifles can be pretty darn accurate, especially with handloads...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
My little Stevens 325 Will shoot tiny little groups. I'm using the factory peep sight.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin 1936 that will drive tacks with iron sights.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
I have a Marlin 1936 that will drive tacks with iron sights.

Yeah, mine will too but I can't, lol.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornthe most accurate I ever shot was a Savage Mod 340 with reloads.

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
The most accurate that I have is a 336SS, and it will shoot MOA consistently (and a little better if I am on my game) with factory Hornady LeverEvolution ammo. I see absolutely no reason to reload for a MOA gun.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well the barrel should arrive in a couple of days. First shooting will be with factory loads to get brass, Federal blue box 150's.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone have a Rem 788 in .30-30? I see them from time to time on GB and they sure seem to be sought after.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might go to Benchrest.com and do some searches or solicit the help of Jackie Schmidt. Couple of years ago he did some test on a 30-30 and got some unbelievable accuracy out of the rifle.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some that are a bit different, A 340 savage, and a handi-rifle, The handi-rifle is Ackley 30-30. and it shoots well for a low cost rifle. I like to mess around with both of them.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote is for a Winchester High Wall, or a Rem. 788.

Posts: 134 | Location: Kirkland, Illinois | Registered: 09 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Shooter973
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Rem. 788's in 30-30. Both have scopes on them. I only shoot cast bullets in them but they are pretty darn accurate. I also have several other lever action 30-30's with a Marlin being the most accurate one I've shot. All the levers are open sighted. Love shooting the cast bullets at factory ballistics for about $2 a box. Does the deed on a Mule Deer very well. wave

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posts: 347 | Location: Ogden, Utah (Home of John M. Browning) | Registered: 08 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The reason I sold my Marlin was that the 311291 has a forward section that didn't clear the rifling enough for me to use it. I also have had great accuracy from various Contenders, rifle and pistol length. Hope my cast bullets fit in this rifle.