Find
Notify
Tools

JDJ Quality?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted
A lot of the JDJ cartridges look interesting but I am unsure of the quality of Mr. Jones products. Anyone with experience with these cartridges please chime in. Thanks.

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 of his barrels, 6.5 JDJ, 375 JDJ, and a 45-70. All are octagon for a Contender. Excellent workmanship, accurate, and not cheap. I also had a Ruger #1 in 577 Nitro Express built by them. It also was flawless.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
J.D. Jones and company are world renowned for their work, I don't think you can go wrong with a JDJ cartridge and a Contender

[ 06-11-2002, 01:43: Message edited by: DanD ]

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I don't own any of his t/c barrels, but have shot several of them. While the prices may be a bit higher then others, all of the barrels I've shot have been very accurate.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Elliot Viker>
posted
I have a 45-70 and a 250 savage by his operation, and they are all they are claimed to be.

posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5JDJ carbine barrel, .309JDJ and .375JDJ barrels, and I used to own a .300 Whisper barrel. He has re-barreled two of my rifles (and I have four more for him to do), and has done trigger jobs on three of my guns.

They use top-quality components and do excellent work at SSK.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not found ANYONE that does better work, or that stands behind their products with no questions asked. JD's operation is top-drawer all the way.....but, quality does come at a bit steeper price. Worth it, in my opinion. Gary.

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
J.D. Jones turns out work that is exceptional. But what is truly amazing is his turnaround time. I'd venture that SSK Industries turns out fylly-custom products quicker than anyone else around.

Also, you rarely see an SSK barrel for sale on the used market. That's because no one wants to part with that grade of craftsmanship.

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JD has worked on any number of my Contenders as well as my Freedon Arms .454 (installed a muzzlebreak) EVERYTHING I ever had done by SSK was done extremely well. SSK barrels are of absolutely best quality as well. Turn around times and delivery times are reasonable and the people at SSK know what they are talking about.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
<TrckrJoe>
posted
I have a 338JDJ#2 barrel from SSK and love it, its very accurate, and looks great,barrel markings ar lazered in and not hammer stamped on like some barrel makers I've seen
the brake works great and looks as good blends right in with the barrel so is smooth all the way down the legnth, can wait till I can afford the price of the 338-06JDJ for my contender

<TrckrJoe>
posted
oops .... 338-06 JDJ for My Encore not contender

one of us
posted Hide Post
Awalys herd good things....

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
<QuarterIncherNV>
posted
I wish I could add a contraian view here, especially after all the glowing reports but I own a 6.5 and a 300 Whisper barrel and I can't find a thing to complain about. Exceptional quality, craftmanship and shootibility. I can't even complain of customer care service as I've never had to call about a single problem.

All that being said, would anyone care to help me complete a JDJ cartridge collection? [Smile] I've been trying to get a single representative cartridge (or two) of all the JDJ chamberings. I've written to the company and JD himself answered the email explaining that he would have to pull a gunsmith/machinist off the line to fireform cartridges and as they are working 16 hours a day that wouldn't be very feasible.

Do you have any split neck rounds or any with incipent head separation problems that you'd care to part with? A case and a matching bullet would be most appreciated. I have plenty of cartridges to trade or I'd be willing to send you a token amount of money for a representative case and corresponding projectile to cover shipping and your time.

I'm trying very hard to complete the line without buying a barrel for every chambering. That might get a bit costly. [Eek!]

Please feel free to email me at AWPorter@sbcglobal.net. I'll try to make it worth your time.

QuarterIncherNV

[ 07-30-2002, 11:06: Message edited by: QuarterIncherNV ]