New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom rifle ideas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for input/ideas on a rifle.

The rifle is a western field model 720 EHM made by Heym in 270 Winchester.

I can figure the wood out.

But I would like help with the metalwork to be done.

I took this rifle to the range. With minimal fuss I was getting solid 1-1.25" groups. The bore looks great.

Questions #1: Do I change tubes? I am leaning towards leaving the original. It shoots good enough for me, and with some tweaking I can probably get it to shoot better.

Question #2: What to do with the safety?
Currently has the left side Beuhler type. It IS going to get changed.

Question #3: Trigger, Floorplate, other metalwork, express sights.

QUESTION #4: Is there any way to make integral scope bases on this existing action? This is what I am thinking. If I can buy some Talley CZ style rings that clamp right on to the action. I love the way CZ's are. Take the scope off and no bases on the action. Ready for open sights.

I am leaning towards just changing the safety reblueing/restocking and calling it good.

Or the other idea is to just buy a CZ 550 and do the three position safety, have the action gone through, new wood and there it is.

Just looking for input or different ideas.
Thanks

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of 550s, Personaly I doubt you would need new wood, I have thought of stipping the finish off and mabye sanding the checkering out and having it recheckerd and doing a hand oil job, but the wood itself aint bad at all.
If you went with a 3 position safty you would have a notch from the old one sitting there looking ugly though.
What round is your hyem chamberd for.
You might go with a set of warn rings and bases the bases are not very tall and you could use a site prety well I would think...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
The .270 is a spectacular deer and pronghorn cartridge and many have used it with success on larger game. For me the 30 calibers are where big game start.

IMO, if ine really wants to rebarrel, he's better off to just trade the gun as it costs less.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh , its a 270 don't know how I missed that the 1st time. Darn good round. If you want a deer rifle , thats a prety hard round to beat.
An 06 will give you a little more power for bigger animals but a .270 is my Idea of the low end of all around cartridges.
If you hunt big stuff a .338 06 or a 35 whelen would likly be a better choice...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a bunch of 270's(5), 338-06's(4) a Model 71 Winchester and a 416 Rigby.

This is going to be my dream rifle so to speak.

I am going to change the wood regardless, because I want a really nice (not extravagant) piece of wood. Thehe stock will designed to fit me perfectly. My hope is for it to carry like a feather and point like a shotgun.

I'm just looking for different ideas on the metal and what can be done to the original heym action.

I really like the CZ actions, as I currently own two: a 550 FS in 270 and a 416 Rigby Lux.

What I am really trying to decide is if I should get the heym reworked or buy a new CZ and work off of that. I am leaning towards the CZ as I am have having second thoughts about tearing apart the heym. It's nothing fancy at all, but I have kind of grown attached to it.

I just wanted to post here and get some different perspectives.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am leaning towards the CZ

That's not a bad way to lean.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
SDHunter,

I have the same rifle except it is a .30-'06. If you pull the floorplate you will see that Heym did some cutting of the magazine box at the forward end to lengthen the box (it was originally sized for the 7X57). When you measure the action, you will find it is of intermediate length, as is the original cartridge.

Mine will become a .376 Steyr, also an intermediate length cartridge.

I haven't figured out whether I will have Mark Stratton fix the bottom metal to hold and feed the Steyr cartridges inside, and be pretty on the outside, or go with aftermarket bottom metal.

I have a Blackburn trigger and Talley bases so far, and I expect to use Ed LaPour's three position safety.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These rifles, known as the the 720 and 724, were made by Heym around 1964. Everyone I have seen has shot with amazing accuracy, due to the quality of the Heym barrel. If you change calibers, you may lose that accuracy.

The action itself is rather rare. I know of no other commercial intermediate length actions.

If you change the safety, let me know. I could use the safety/shroud as that style is my favorite.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
KurtC,

What have you found for the solution to the bottom metal question?

thanks...jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the floorplate has the little lever release, I recommend that you replace the entire assembly with something expensive and send the original to me. Wink

I see nothing wrong with it as is. If the cuts bother you, have someone weld them up.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you can weld pieces on the action and make integral bases for any type of ring. Will also give you enough "meat" to reshape the action in a more pleaseing form. Action will need to be heat treated afterwards, but that is no big deal.

If it is shooting around the 1-1.5" mark, I would be happy with that barrel. But that is just me. I am a big game hunter and pretty easy to please. Most of my rifles do better, but I have (sucessfully) hunted with rifles that averaged around the 3" mark. There are lots of good aftermarket barrel makers who make very nice tubes. I am partial to Lilja and Krieger.

I like M-70 style safeties on my rifles.

Does the floorplate have a lever release or push button in the front of the trigger guard? I have a lever floor plate on a rifle I have literally drug all over the world. It has a strong Teutonic styling and I think anything with a lever needs to be styled as such. Schnable fore arm, slim stock, barrel baand sling swivel and front sight, island rear sight base.

If it has a push button, then I would go for either and English style (like a Rigby or the .416 CZ you saw) or American (something like a modern version of a Griffen & Howe). A nice quarter rib, English Walnut, rust bluing, and you are in business!

Just one man's free opinion, so take it for what it is worth!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc,

How are feeling?

Thanks for the reply. You know how I like your ideas and work. I am just pondering and designing the rifle in my mind. The whole vision thing. Get a definite idea of what I want and then let the smith take over with the details.

The rifle has a lever floorplate release. I am pretty sure it will get the European look.

I am just fishing for more ideas, that way I can make sure I know what I want.

one of us
posted Hide Post
sounds like a good plan! That is what I like to do too. I usually pore over a lot of books and magazines and see what tickles my fancy, then combine the aspects that just feel right together.

Having some complications after the surgery and will have to go back to the Dr. tomorrow. But don't worry, i have been in the shop a lot over the past week!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote