New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington capacity question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
With my Ruger MKIIs I get 3 down and then can put one in the chamber for 4 round total.

Of belted mags 300wm 338wm and 416 Taylor

The only 700 I own is a ADL in 300WM only allows 3.

3 in the mag and well not let me chamber a 4th round.

Do the BDL's allow 4th round to chamber

Posts: 19358 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 down and then manually slip the 4th one in the chamber has worked for me with ADL or BDL in mag cartridges.

You have to hold the top mag round down while the bolt slips over it to chamber the 4th.

Make sense?

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
I went and tried it again takes about twice the pressure then my Ruger's then the bolt really drags on the top round in the mag.

Also I had to maneuver the bolt around to get it to slide over the round in the mag.

Much harder on the 700 the the 77's

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
With push feeds just drop a round in the chamber, load the magazine to its capacity then hold the top round down slightly to close the bolt on the chambered round. Surely if just loading the magazine and closing the bolt on an empty chamber there is enough room in the magazine to depress the top round to get the bolt closed?

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surely if just loading the magazine and closing the bolt on an empty chamber there is enough room in the magazine to depress the top round to get the bolt closed?

It takes a lot of pressure to push the round down far enough to close the bolt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it works it works but they evidently don't have quite enough magazine depth or the follower is too thick on that one ...or something???

On my 300 RUM, it's really tight too so I just have a 1 in the pipe and 2 down on that one. I've never been hampered by that.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having trouble putting in that last round-----Put that one in first! Big Grin Roll Eyes coffee

Hip

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Surely if just loading the magazine and closing the bolt on an empty chamber there is enough room in the magazine to depress the top round to get the bolt closed?

It takes a lot of pressure to push the round down far enough to close the bolt

I have a Marlin XS rifle with a blind magazine and note that the tail of the mag spring is located down into a shallow recess in the bottom of the mag well in the plastic stock. When refitting the barreled action into the stock, if you have had it out, you have to ensure the mag spring tail is correctly located into this recess while lowering the action down over the mag follower plate and spring.

I don't know if the ADL has such a locating recess for the mag spring tail or if it just sits on a flat in the bottom of the well.
Is it possible the mag spring tail is not located properly and hence the spring is binding and not compressing enough to comfortably allow three down?

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't really bother me.

I have hunted with it for decades with only 3 rounds.

It is a solid 3/4 inch rifle with the load I use.

I am not going to be messing with it any more just to find out.

Unless when I take it out to check the sighting and find it off.

Then I might take it apart.

I just posed the question out of curiosity.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Why do you need more than 3 shots in a hunting rifle? Just asking. My CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery only takes 3, never really wanted more.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Ive never had a Magnum that takes 4 down. Standard rounds will though.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:

We are talking 3 down and the chambering a 4th over the top of the full mag.

Easy to do on my Ruger MKII's not very easy on my 300WM 700.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:

The Sako L61R/AIII/AV series all accept four magnum rounds down plus one in the chamber (five '06 diameter round +1). A "fifth" shot is rarely needed in most hunting situations, but I've had two occasions over 50 years when the fifth shot was the difference between taking a trophy deer or elk. Just one more reason that Sakos are my only hunting rifles.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Just what I was thinking, Stonecreek. I've only ever had one Sako but my .338 AIII has been my faithful friend for 40 years. Not only does it hold four down but I've never known it not to feed, unlike other rifles I've had, including the famous Mauser 98 and MS.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2 down and one up the snoot, I can live with, but a little tinkering can get you 3 or even 4 down, which may or may not come in handy on a DGR, but in my opinion if it ain,t broke, do go fix.en it.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other than dangerous game, I’m fine with three shells total.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can mill out the bottom on some metal work to take an extra round or add an addition to your bottom metal or go full custom drop box thats expensive but if you can afford a safari or an Alaskan bear, then money for a drop box custom shouldn't be a problem..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote