New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x284 Norma
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone shoot one ? How does it compare to 6.5 creedmoor. Thinking of getting a match barrel in it.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
It has more capacity / velocity than the Creed. The 6.5 PRC replicates the performance of the 6.5/284. Approx 3000 fps with a 140gn bullet.

I had one in a match rifle when Lapua first released brass in the 2000s. Shot very well for me, including a national record that stood for several years.

Its quite pleasant to shoot, and would be a very effective hunting cartridge for anything you would be comfortable hunting with a heavier bullet 6.5.

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It does make a great hunting rifle. The biggest difference with the Creed is the 6.5-284 Norma is long action. There is also cost. The Creed brass can be found much cheaper as well as less expensive loaded ammo with a much better selection. They will both work the same on game. As stated it is maybe closer to the newer 6.5 PRC which will out run the 284 case by 100 to 150 FPS. All three are VERY easy to load for.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5-284 ruled F Class for about three decades. Seems the 6.5 Creedmooor is becoming more popular as a competitive cartridge, but on the range and in the field one would have to be splitting hairs to determine which of the three 6.5's are "better".

Best to try all three and then decide.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a few 6.5 cm and they are super accurate. I like that I can buy cheap match factory ammo.

I have a silencerco omega suppressor with m 18x1 thread. I want to get a match barrel

My choices are

6xc
6.5x47 Lapua
6.5x55
6.5x284 Norma
308 win
300 win mag

I spoke to silencerco and they said don’t use the omega on my 300 Norma mag.

My 6.5 cm suppressed r8 match barrel with minox zp5

318 yards.

I want to get another barrel/caliber that uses the omega suppressor.

I am thinking 6.5x284 but if it is too close to 6.5 cm I may get a match barrel n 300 win mag but I have the 300 Norma mag in match that is awesome but I can’t shoot suppressor. I also have a threaded non match 308.

Why I was leaning towards 6.5x284.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you plan on competitive long range shooting, all the aforementioned cartridges are more than capable of punching holes in disposable dinnerware at 300 yards.

You can't go wrong with any or all, so there is no right or wrong answer. But personally the 6.5-284 is the choice especially if you start shooting past 300 yards.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Anyone shoot one ? How does it compare to 6.5 creedmoor. Thinking of getting a match barrel in it.

Thanks,

Mike

Lots of variations of brass dies & chambers in the 6.5 X 284 make sure they all match or you will regret it.

Went to the 6.5 Creedmoor and no issues in 7 different rifles.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a 6BR for sale in Classifieds...

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
It's ideal in an intermediate length Mauser action.

Posts: 1213 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kk alaska:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

Thanks,

Mike

Lots of variations of brass dies & chambers in the 6.5 X 284 make sure they all match or you will regret it.

Went to the 6.5 Creedmoor and no issues in 7 different rifles.

Factory ammo is also 3x the price of 6.5 cm. Probably will get a 300 win mag match barrel so I can use the omega.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 6.5-284 gets an honest 100 fps more than my Creedmore with equal bullet weights. My 6.5-284 shoots the 125 gr partition into tiny little groups and makes a superb deer rifle.I guess it depends on what you want it to do

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
It's ideal in an intermediate length Mauser action.

I understand it takes very little work to get 1909 Argentine to feed 6.5-284 (or any 284 win based round) like greasy sausage.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3290 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote