THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Ruger medium sporter 1-S ?? in 30-06??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger medium sporter 1-S ?? in 30-06??
 Login/Join

<Terry P>
posted
I've looked at the Sturm Ruger site and the 30-06 is not listed for the 1-S. I am wondering if it was ever chambered for the 30-06?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the 1-S? I have owned a couple of the 1-B's ...one was a good shooter and the other was not. I really like the lines of the 1-S but I want it in 30-06.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Terry,

I have a #1S that was a 7mm RM. I had it rechambered to 7mm Dakota. The rifle shoots great & I think they look better than the #1B. They area also a bit lighter (maybe 1/2#) than a #1B. I suspect the bbl. is a bit thinner.
I don't think they chamber in the .30-06, just the .300WM.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
May I suggest that you get a 1A light sporter. The 1S is kind of heavy while the 1A balances better and is nice to carry and shoulder.

I have a 30/06 1A and a 300 Win Mag in the 1S and that 1S is not a fun rifle to carry around for the small gain it has over the 30/06.

I like those Alex Henry forends. It's a beautiful rifle.

<Terry P>
posted
Thanks for the info! Perhaps I'll go with the 1A. I like the looks of the Alex Henry forearm also.

I had a 1B in 30-06 for awhile and I'm now interested in a rifle like that again. I was going to experiment with the 26" barrel and 30-06 loads.

Oh well. I'm always wanting something they don't make. [Big Grin]

<Don Martin29>
posted
It goes the other way too. If you are willing to carry that heavy 1S then it might as well be a cannon cartridge. My .300 Win mag is a very accurate rifle.

Buy the 1A in 30/06. I have had mine since 1969. It's a keeper.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I had a 1-A in 30-06. Great rifle, balance, looks, etc. It had a stunning burl walnut buttstock.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
There have been several small batches of uncataloged Ruger 1-S models over the years, though I have not heard of one in '06. I've owned a factory Ruger 1-S in .38-55 and another in .300 H&H that I was a fool to sell. I've also seen one in .270. The 1-S and 1-H models are the most attractive in the line IMO.

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote