Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Titanium?
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking to buy an Remington Titanium in .260 and was wandering how it compared to guns in the same price range (Sako 75 $ Kimber 8400)? Is the remington worth the money when you can get the sako and kimber for about the same price?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not convinced that Titanium is a better mousetrap in rifle actions. I will just throw out that titanium isn't as strong as steel, although it is lighter. My engineering data to support that statement is at work and I don't have access to it right now, but check the material properties of the two materials.

That said it is a novel idea, but many smiths don't want to work with Titanium, so basically you better hope you get a good shooter from Remington. Most of the guys that have bought these have been pretty happy with them, but I haven't heard of any phenominal accuracy from these. Do a search and these have been talked about in older threads.

I do think this a coming out of the custom shop as I haven't heard any of the typical horror stories on these. To bad they won't do this with a different stock though, my interest would be more if they were available in a conventional wood stock, and yes a hundred or two more dollars to get that as a option wouldn't be outrageous.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Rash, in a short action the Kimber is the way to go IMO. Better, safer trigger, better (3-position) safety, better stock (fit and quality) and Talley makes its lightweight base/rings for the Kimber too.

No brainer for me...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beware of the factory "composite" stocks that come with some factory rifles. For instance the one that Winchester put on my SS SA WSM is a throw away piece of junk.

The Kimber Montana models come with state of the art Kevlar/carbon stocks and the 84M is chambered for the 260.

I would much rather have a Kimber over a Remington for hunting.

You should call around and find shops that have the specific models of rifles that your interested in and handle them. For instance the Kimber 84M Montana rifles are lightweights. The Sako 75's that I have seen are heavier guns. I would not buy a new Sako.

Sako 75 Finnlight 260 Rem 20 7/8" Synthetic/Stainless 5 rounds 6 1/2 lbs $1,584.00

Keep in mind that it was just last winter that SS Sako's were blowing up and the current owner, Berreta, was not forthcoming on a warning. I wonder if they ever found out the cause of the blowups?

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
I have a 700 Ti in 7mm08. I averaged 1-1.5" at 96 yrd.s OTB the only time I took it to the range last fall. That was with 100 gr. factory loads I attributed size of the group to my pulse and my flinching which was severe after I bloodied my nose with the first shot. The gun only weighs about 6 lb.s with sling and scope. I was really startled by the recoil. My next lightest gun is a 9.5 lb. .270. The ultra-lite weight makes it hard to shoot really well. I had a muzzle brake put on it but I have been to the range with it yet. 1.5" at @100 yrd.s is perfectly adequate for the purpose I bought the gun for but I was disappointed and intend to fiddle with it some more when my gun club range finally opens in late July or August.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
Rash,
Oldun has a 700 Ti he's used a lot and loves it. Why don't you contact him directly for advice.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I don't (yet) own a 700 Ti in 260, I have a couple of steel 700s installed in 700 Ti stocks. I think that the 700 Ti stocks are really good quality, probably at least as good as Kimber's. Unless squeezing out the last possible ounce of weight, like for a sheep rifle, is your destination, I'd suggest buying a 700 LSS Mountain Rifle in 260. If you want it lighter, and don't mind a blind floorplate, buy a 700 Ti take-off for $150+/-. If you sell the laminate MR stock and the BDL trigger guard assembly, you'll be money ahead, or at least you'll break ever if you buy a Williams ADL trigger guard for the 700 Ti stock.

I will state for the record that I nearly did buy 2 Montanas last year, a 260 and 270 WSM, but decided to stick with Remingtons in McM MR stocks.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I've had the Montana and everal Ti stocks (and am getting another Ti cause they're cheap) but the quality isn't the same. Bell and Carlson makes the TI stock and it's chopped glass. The Kimber is laid glass... big difference. Also, the grip on the Ti is overly large for my taste.

i think the Kimber is a much higher quality piece...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
...I would much rather have a Kimber over a Remington for hunting.
Hey Don, I was reading something about them in either Bugle or the NRA American Hunter. From what I read, they seem to be just an expensive M70. What am I missing, or is that a fair assessment?

quote:
Keep in mind that it was just last winter that SS Sako's were blowing up and the current owner, Berreta, was not forthcoming on a warning. I wonder if they ever found out the cause of the blowups?
Excellent advice concerning their pitiful Management.
---

Hey Rash, If I have read anything at all bad about the Remington Ti, I sure don't remember it. Normally if a rifle has problems of any kind, the word spreads fairly quickly - like the blowing-up Sakos, or the M70s that had "feed problems" with the WSM cartridges.

Fortunately the Remington's come with the very best Trigger and Safety on the market, along with an excellent stock and accuracy that is difficult to beat unless you go the Custom route.

Burris makes the finest "Signature" Rings and Bases which have floating synthetic inserts to get a non-maring excellent grip on a scope tube. No need for Lapping and the Inserts simply will not allow the scope to slip as they do on some high recoil-impulse rifles. This is a real consideration on "light" rifles with large scopes(voice of experience).

But, best of luck with which ever rifle you choose.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
...I would much rather have a Kimber over a Remington for hunting.

Hey Don, I was reading something about them in either Bugle or the NRA American Hunter. From what I read, they seem to be just an expensive M70. What am I missing, or is that a fair assessment?

Hot Core,

There is little similarity between the M70 Classic and the Kimber bolt line except maybe the safeties. I like both rifles but having quite a few 70's already and wanting some lightweights I got Kimbers.

The Kimber 84M series have a much smaller reciever ring that's more suitable for the 308 series in terms of a sporter. This saves a lot of weight of course. Otherwise the action has some Mauser features and also some simlar to the Remingtons in that the actions are round bottomed and the recoil lug is clamped by the barrel.

Like lots of desirable things the Kimber has it all together with everything done right. This makes them worth twice what they ask as there is little competition in particular when you consider that the company cares. This is way more than I could say about Berreta or Winchester.

Kimber has donated a lot of money to shooters funds. They are the Ruger of the 21 Century at this point.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fortunately the Remington's come with the very best Trigger and Safety on the market

LOL!!!!!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I like my Titanium heaps and it is very accurate.
When I was looking at getting my Tit I looked at the Montana too. On all three Montanas I dry fired the triggers were not as smooth as the two Remingtons I tested,
Interestingly the couple of wood blue Montanas I dry fired had very clean triggers.
It's little thing that which lead one to plump for one rifle over another and the triger on the 700 did it for me.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Don, Thanks for the input. I still just need to find an hour or so and go handle one.

quote:
Originally posted by oldun:
...the trigger on the 700 did it for me.
Yes, I do like the extremely well designed factory Remington triggers too. Fastest lock time of any factory built trigger and "normally" easily adjusted to where they are light and totally SAFE.

But, there are folks out there who simply don't know how to operate a bolt action rifle(by their own admission) that simply don't understand how outstanding the design is.

Hey Rash, You might also want to consider the Weatherby Ultra-Lightweight rifles.

I've found the Weatherby triggers to be real close to the Remingtons on the "Made in USA" Weatherbys. The stock design is simply amazing about how well it feels and fits different size people. You have to feel it to understand.

It did take a a few attempts to find a Load my Wby U-Lt really liked, but it is very accurate now with regular old Hot-Cor bullets. It has a great looking fluted barrel and is about as light as it gets with a 24" barrel.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
the rem titanium gets another vote from me i have one in 7mmsaum that is a lovely rifle to handle , i am yet to load develope fot it but its putting 150 corelokt factory ammo into an inch , so i am pretty sure it will go better , i was wanting to feel a montana in the wsm's but they are like hens teeth over here.

Posts: 24 | Location: Waikato , New Zealand | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I´d stay away from new production Sakos and Rems. I´ve owned a 75 (stainless in 30-06) and that barrel did strange things. Then they had the blowups...

I don´t have any personal experience of Rems but a lot of people are griping about quality and even more about Rems sorry excuse for a maintenance department.

Just my 2 Euros.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
I own and shoot my Ti on a regular basis and have been very pleased with it. With that said, my brother bought the 84M after I bought mine (Montana not available then). If I had to spend my money again, I would buy the Kimber.

Florida...where you have to go north to get south.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote