Tools

Kimber
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does it shoot?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I`ve not yet received the scope mounts, so I can not say.
When I`ve gotten them, I will tell you.
Best regards.

Posts: 168 | Location: North of the Arctic circle,in Sweden | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Today I went to the range, but the wheather wasnt so good. -8 C and farly windy, my fingers went numb and I couldnt feel the trigger.
I was shooting off a pile of snow, so the support wasnt all good either.
However, it shot a little over moa with four shots, but I have to test more since the bullets could have flown either in or out of the target.
I wish for good weather, cause it sure was a pleasure to shoot! Recoil was very mild for a .30-06.
More posting when I`ve tested more.

Posts: 168 | Location: North of the Arctic circle,in Sweden | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
At least your barrel didn't heat up in all that cold. Keep us posted.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is not good. The goddamn rifle is a pleasure to shoot, it groups 4 TSX/100 yards in about 0.8". Also, as mentioned, it is well balanced.
The REAL pain in the ### is that it is very sensitive about how you load the cartridges. If I dont do it in a certain way, it WILL NOT RELOAD!!!
I`ve received a new follower and spring, doesnt matter.

It`s going to the dealers smith soon, but my trust for the rifle has gotten damaged.
Thought I`d let you know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Asti:
Geez, that's too bad. I feel for you. Here we go again with "Kimber Quality". Keep us posted on your progress & good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asti:
This is not good. The goddamn rifle is a pleasure to shoot, it groups 4 TSX/100 yards in about 0.8". Also, as mentioned, it is well balanced.
The REAL pain in the ### is that it is very sensitive about how you load the cartridges. If I dont do it in a certain way, it WILL NOT RELOAD!!!
I`ve received a new follower and spring, doesnt matter.

It`s going to the dealers smith soon, but my trust for the rifle has gotten damaged.
Thought I`d let you know.

I just posted a line about the same thing. I have 2 Kimbers, and 2 other friends with them, and they all won't feed right because of the follower sliding back and forth in the bottom of the stock. I've helped it be siliconing a rubber washer in the bottom of the stock, in front of the spring tip. It has to be possitioned just right; about 1/2"- 3/8" from the front of the stock recess to be right. My friends have theirs dialed in just right, but I'm still adjusting mine. Don't get too frustrated, as I know it can be dialed in. The other thing I was going to try is installing a modified (if needed) Remington, short action follower. They always seem to work fine. But the rifles are a true joy in the field, WHEN all is feeding right. Good shootin'

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone love their Kimber? I am so close to pulling the trigger on a Montana, but I have yet to read a consensus that they are worth it. I dont think I have read so much negative about a manufacturer than Kimber. Is it the cost and the rifles just are not worth it?

I really like the thought behind the Montana, and I am willing to take a chance, and even if I get a bad one, pay a smith to work on it, but would it matter?

- "Note to kimber, read this and all the other forums on the net!!!!!"

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just home from the range breaking in the barrel of my new Kimber 84M / 308 Win.
Ended the session with two 3 shot rounds / 100m.
Two shots under MOA, the third opened up the group to 2 MOA.
Blame myself for the flyer, and far from perfect conditions.
Nice stock, minimal recoil, good trigger...I think this baby will sing when I start fussing about Wink

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jon Beutler: Is it the cost and the rifles just are not worth it?
This is actually a pretty good thread; it's representative of both sides of the issue. Sorry, but it sounds, however, as if you don't want to believe it, or haven't read it.

Some of them work. Some of them don't. Some of us think there's a greater percentage that don't than there should be and blame Kimber quality. Some whose Kimbers do work blame the shooting capabilities of those whose Kimbers don't work. If you're looking for a "Yes, buy one," I'm sure somone will come along and provide one for you.

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I`m glad this thread didnt turn out to a bashing ceremony or some solid saluting for Kimber. I think everyone is in fact telling their actual experiences.
For the question, can you make a Kimber work, the answer is yes. It`s just a matter of money. It shouldnt have to be that way though, they should work from factory.
I am so fortunate, the dealers smith WILL fix it for me, no extra cost, and I`m happy for that since it handles really well.
If you have any additional input or comments, please post.
Best regards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I have been able to glean from the Kimber discussions, and pertaining to current production (new) in both action lengths, the synthetic-stocked (Montana) rifles have feed problems due to inadequate retention of the magazine spring. The wood-stocked rifles are prone to bedding issues. Is this analysis correct and complete?

Are there other areas of concern for a potential customer?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think thats a correct analisys. There can perhaps be other issues too, as with other rifles.
Oh, yes, can anyone tell me if the paint on the Montanas is durable? In the magazinewell, it doesnt seem to stick so good... I`m more interested of the outside though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asti:
I think thats a correct analisys. There can perhaps be other issues too, as with other rifles.
Oh, yes, can anyone tell me if the paint on the Montanas is durable? In the magazinewell, it doesnt seem to stick so good... I`m more interested of the outside though.

The paint seems to be durable; but here's another rub. . . . the damn stock is way too smooth! It's hard to hang onto. So I cut out a nice pattern out of a big sheet of skate board tape, and put it on the forends of both of my Kimbers. It actually looks good and really easy to hold onto. Then I did custom camo paint jobs on the both stocks and left the tape black, Looks great. I'd still recommend the Kimbers. Just get the followers fixed and rough up the stocks, and then you got something!

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update: I changed the magazine spring, and now it feeds. The spring comes from an old Husquarna and its lips are slightly longer, so it doesnt slide around in the mag-well. Hopefully it will work, but so far it feeds flawless.
I think someone else had siliconed their spring, and that shoud work too.

Hopefully this will help someone to get their Kimbers going. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like Brownell's is about to have a run on Mauser magazine springs. coffee