New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Question - 350 Rem Mag
 Login/Join

<Mike27>
posted
I have a Remington 700 BDL in 350 magnum that I would like to put a scope on. I have an old Redfield 4x Bear cub that is not being used so I thought this would suffice. I would like to use a Talley QD mount. What height scope rings would you recommend for this setup? I would assume the low height would be Ok but I thought I would run it past the experts. Thanks

<350RM>
posted
Mike,
I own a rem 7 KS in 350RM, I tried leupold dovetails, they worked, and now I use theyr quick release low mounts, they work also and enable me to change the scope for its spare. I highly recommend this setup.
As for another scope, my two 350 rifles have the vari XIII 1,75-6X32, but would I change, i would go for the 2,5-8X36.
olivier

<Mike27>
posted
350RM thanks for the reply. I never really thought about the Leupold mounts but I will look into it. I was wondering if the low mounts would work because the hooded front sight seems very high and I was worried that this would effect the sight picture through the scope. I would purchase the Leupold scope for this one but cash is a little tight right now becase I am purchasing a scope for a SIG SHR 970 that I bought last week. I wanted to use the .350 for bear season next month. I do have some concerns about the Redfield holding up under the recoil. On a side note I purchased this Model 700 several years ago used and the person I purchased it from thought it might be from 1969. Apparently there were only a limited amount made in the .350 mag that year. The markings on the left side on the barrel do indicate 1969 manufacture (from blue book of gun values) so I called Remington and gave them the serial number. I was told that the gun was manufactured in 1972 but the barrel may have been one that was lying around the factory for a couple of years. I wonder if this is common. Seems a little odd to me. Maybe someone out there could comment on this. Thanks again.

<350RM>
posted
You are welcome, mike. As for rear sight, I removed open sights on my rem 7. I rarely go very far without a spare scope, and the quick release has proven its reliability for me.
olivier