New
Find
Notify
Tools

WSM Rifle Decision
 Login/Join

<Gunner>
posted
OK - I'm jumping on the WSM bandwagon, going to buy me a 300 WSM. I can either get a "used, like new" Browning A Bolt Medallion for $499; or a NIB M-70 Featherweight for $550.

I'm fundamentally a cheap bastard, so the minimal cost savings makes the Browning sound better - but I've been badly burned before buying used guns over the internet. I do, however, like the theory of the short bolt throw, detachable internal magazine, and slightly shorter barrel (why go crazy with a short action cartridge then stick a long tube on it?)

I really like the look and feel of the Featherweights, but have heard numerous bad things about WSM feeding in M-70s, and the horror stories about quality control with recent Winchesters.

I'd really appreciate any input from y'all who have either (or both) of these rifles that can help me decide on one over the other.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, Browning and Winchester are now under the same ownership, so this is a bit like choosing between a Ford and a Mercury.

Each rifle has its advocates and each has its detractors, in just about equal numbers. Most people report a little better accuracy with the Browning. The Winchester has a better trigger, but for my own reasons, I don't like its much-vaunted safety.

I'm pretty cheap myself, so I think I'd go with the used Browning. Since it's already taken its depreciation "hit" from new, if you don't like it, you can probably get more of your money back in resale than on the new gun, then go get the other if the first one didn't suit you. Whichever you buy, I hope you can get it without that gawdawful contraption hung on the end of the barrel to make noise.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<sniper300M>
posted
my advice is keep away from the wsm all together. The factory loads are limited and very pricey. If you reload, you will probably have trouble getting dies.(The main reason I got rid of my 300 wsm). And browning owns winchester. I had the browning but have heard a lot of people having trouble with the m 70. If you just gotta have a magnum get the 300 win mag in a tikka rifle. They are 10 times better than winchester and 1000000000000 times better than a browning. I just bought their new ss/lam in 30-06 for less than 600 bucks. these guns are made by sako so you know you are getting quality. they are also very accurate. The other thing with the wsm is mine kicked like a p-o'ed mule. so make sure you do your homework and are committed to paying dearly to play with the wsm before you buy one. besides, if you arent hunting elephant what do you need with a magnum anyway? The 30-06 will cleanly kill anything that walks in north america. the ammo is reasonable and very readily avaliable just about anywhere.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Well, Browning and Winchester are now under the same ownership, so this is a bit like choosing between a Ford and a Mercury.

Except Brownings are made in Japan, and those problematic Winchesters are made in Utah.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Harry>
posted
1. I have sold two of the Mod. 70 Featherwts. in 300 WSM. Both owners could not be more pleased. I have targets shot by both and we are talking great groups! One of those shot by an old ex Marine that was taught how to shoot offhand with a sling...I am talking under 1 inch at 100 yrds. standing and in a sling.
Of the folks I have talked to so far all are happy with the 300 WSM.
IF I already owned something in the big 30's I would not trade nor go out and buy the 300 WSM but...if I needed something that class I would.

2. I was not aware that Winchester is made in Utah. Maybe I went to sleep sometime for too long.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Harry, don't worry buddy, you haven't overslept. Browning's headquarters are in Morgan, Utah, but the Winchester rifles are not made here. I'm almost 100% sure they're still made in Connecticut.

By the way guys, I just bought my very first Browning. It's an A-Bolt Medallion in .300 Win Mag that I bought used from a fellow board member. I have yet to shoot it, but the action is the smoothest of any rifle I've ever had my hands on. The trigger is great, the fit and finish is flawless, and the wood has a lot of character (marbling I think it's called). Only time will tell, but this could soon be my "go to" big-game rifle. My current favorite is a stainless Remington Mountain Rifle in .270 Win.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Harry>
posted
Buster,
I sell guns for a living and have all types and brands in our personal collection. My son bought a Browning Stainless Stalker in 260 Rem for the ranch that we sure have enjoyed. I has done well from the start. Hope your 300 is as much of a joy.
P.S. I did not think I had slept that long!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The A-bolt is fine as long as you never get any mud in the grooves of that bolt. If you do, you are toast, until you go back to camp and disassemble and clean the bolt. I have seen it happen.

I would get the winchester.

Instead, I would get a Tikka.

Instead I would get a Sako.

Instead I would build a nice custom rifle.

I think you see where this is headed.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy the Browning and put the $50 in your pocket you cheap bastard, but since it is used, ask them to let you test drive it first.

I bought the Browning that you mentioned. Love it.

If they had made the .300 WSM in a Remington I might have bought it. I am a Remington rifle and shotgun fan.

I love Winchester ammo and components, but don't buy their guns. I don't know why. I've only had one bad experience with a Winchester pump shotgun and it was me, not the gun that was to blame.

Posts: 13781 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Long Bullets and short Browning Magazines dont mix............ Buy the Winchester

Posts: 113 | Location: Hunter, Tx | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote