THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    300RUM loading magazine Question

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300RUM loading magazine Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted
I have a model 700, 300RUM. Shoots great and I really like it. Only one slight problem. Sometimes it can take a long time to load shells in the magazine, other times it is no problem at all with the same loads. Once it is loaded feeding etc. is perfect. What do you think could be the problem why it is so hard to load sometimes?

Other than that one thing I really like the gun and it shoots an inch 3shot groups at 200yds.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi J....

What do you mean hard to load, is the fowler sticking or not seated just right? It just may have to be polished around the edges, see if there is any burs around the edges. Pop the floor plate and check it out. Make sure it fits flat and flush with the top rails of the action when closed. It just may have to be adusted by a good smith.

I have a 300 RUM, SS model 700, and it always feeds fine with factory ammo. Sometimes handloads can be to long for the magazine and all you do is seat the bullets deeper in the case, but I am sure you know that.

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load through the floorplate and never have a problem.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stubblejumper:
I load through the floorplate and never have a problem.

How is this done ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simply turn the rifle upside down and look at the magazine follower to see where the last round should end up(the correct stagger) and drop three rounds in the magazine accordingly.I have been doing this for 30 years without a problem.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stubblejumper:
Simply turn the rifle upside down and look at the magazine follower to see where the last round should end up(the correct stagger) and drop three rounds in the magazine accordingly.I have been doing this for 30 years without a problem.

Good idea...or different I never thought of that !! obviously you need to have the bolt closed Wink

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Stubblejumper, I tried that loading through the floorplate worked perfectly.
thanks Jarrod

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Alos one other thing that happens often especially when you work the bolt aggresively is that when it goes to eject the shell it will just fall back into the floorplate. If you work the bolt a little slower it will usually work ok. I'm not planning on hunting dangerous game with it but I still don't like the fact.
This is the only remington that I have ever had or used that doesn't throw the shell out every singe time period.

Do you think I should have a smith just polish it up a little bit?
all suggestions are appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alos one other thing that happens often especially when you work the bolt aggresively is that when it goes to eject the shell it will just fall back into the floorplate.

Are you ejecting empty brass or loaded rounds?