Find
Notify
Tools

9.3X62 vs 375 Whelen
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
I was just curious. Many of you think very highly of the 9.3X62. I have never had one. But the 375 Whelen or the 375 Whelen AI have no following. It seems to me that the 375 has better bullet slection and the same or greater (AI) powder capacity. Is it just the mystic of the 9.3. What am I missing?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 9.3x62 has 5% more powder capacity...Lots of components and bullet selection are available for the 9.3, loaded ammo is availabvle, and the 9.3x62 isn't a wildcat round, the 9.3x62 has a bit more shoulder to headspace on and some claim that is essential, I doubt that however, a properly marked headstamp can be had for the 9.3x62...Just some input for what its worth...

I have used both and I would pick the 9.3x62 for myself...No mystic with me, its just a darn good killer of big nasty animals and it doesn't weigh a ton...All that said I prefer the 375 H&H and of late the 10.75x68 to either of them. I may even sell my 9.3x62 Brno mod. 22

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41893 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
9.3x62 all the way - the 375 Whelen is more trouble all the way around. Plus, all 375 caliber bullets are made for 375H&H velocities and up, which may limit your range for optimal bullet performance.

Ray:

What's the scope set up on your BRNO like? I am rich in taste (sporadically) but poor in $ (consistently)... a sad combo, to be sure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 9.3x62 is a highly successful cartridge that has been in use for 100 years. Nearly every European rifle company chambers a model for it, and numerous companies make ammo.

The .375 Whelan was just another experiment to use up .30-06 brass. Questionable reliability and no factory rifles or ammo. Anything with AI attached to it seems to repel more folks than it attracts. Big Grin

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my 9.3x62, it is a cz 550 lux all I have had done to it is have it bedded. It came with two cross bolts and a third lug on the barrell so it is very well set up.

I have added a set of warne fixed mounts and a leupold 2-7, it shoots speer 270 gr bullets very well.

Grab one you will love it.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have played with 9.3x62 rifles since 1973, and have always been positively impressed. In the years when the 9.3x62 was an unknown here in the USA it was difficult to find ammo and/or components, despite their ready availability in Europe. Luckily the 9.3x62 and 9.3x64 seem to have been reborn for the USA in the 1990s, with most of our bullet people making appropriate slugs (wow, the Nosler 286 grain Partition is a winner, and I love the RWS 256 grain H-Mantle) In Europe, I don't believe the round ever missed a beat, except maybe during WWII, and today if you mention the 9.3x62 to your African professional hunter you are greeted with immediate approval. Another advantage to the 9.3x62mm over the .375 Whelan is that it is a commercial cartridge, and not a wildcat, so you just may be able to buy ammo for the 9.3x62 here in the USA. Sadly, I am selling off my 9.3 collection due to arthritis problems.
Larry

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Sadly, I am selling off my 9.3 collection due to arthritis problems.
Larry

Sorry to hear about the arthritis. If you do end up having to sell some, you will likely find some very "loving homes" for them with various 9.3 enthusists here on AR.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sierra2, I also am a 9.3 enthusiast having 57's, 62's and 64's and looking for a 74. I would very much be interested in 9.3's you put up for adoptionSmiler
Bob

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
At risk of being in the minority here....I just built a .375 Whelen AI on a VZ-24 action and it is a dandy. It shoots 250 grain Barnes bullets into less than an inch at 100 yrds and my first (and only so far) load chrono's at 2560 fps. I didn't have to do any work to the rails but the magazine box is an aftermarket .30-06 length. The only drawback I have is the reamer's throat area was too short so I still need to throat it a little so I can set the bullets out further but that's more because I "want" rather than "need" or I'd have done it already. I don't know a thing about the 9.3 but I sure like the .375 Whelen.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, I am going to muddy the waters a little bit. Why not go to a 9.3 x 64 Brenneke and have everything one could want in a nice medium bore rifle? Just a thought.

Posts: 50 | Location: South America | Registered: 06 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you could also do a 376 Steyer and have a factory round in a standard action that uses common bullets. Brass and loaded ammo will not cost a fortune and it will hit with either the 375 or the various 9.3's. I have all four and it is hard to judge the better. I do love the 375 H&H and 404 Jeffery.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With all the bullets and brass about these days unless you are in particular circumstances, there is probably not much separating the 9.3 and 375 whelen ,and the 35 could probably be included as well.

The big difference with the 9.3 is the romance of the African big game pedigree.

The whelens are of course the american hunting equivalent.

All else being equal that is what I see the main differences to own would be.

Karl.

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
What chic said 9.3 thumb

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KurtC:
The .375 Whelan was just another experiment to use up .30-06 brass. Questionable reliability and no factory rifles or ammo. Anything with AI attached to it seems to repel more folks than it attracts. Big Grin

Do you have that answer on your clipboard and just change the caliber and paste it? Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 9.3x64 is a great round, Arguably the best all around caliber in the world, but until recently brass was only available from Bertram, and that stuff just didn't cut it..The 9.3x64 is a specialized gun for the hobbyiest in the US and brass could disapear tomarrow as only Horneber and RWS is making it..At least that has attributed to its lack of success in the USA....

The 9.3x62 will do anything the 35 or 375 Hawk or Whelen will do and then a tad more IMO, is it worth it, up to you.

The 376 Styer is a farce, it operates at very high pressure to get its aclamed fame, seems like most have overlooked that on this caliber.
Check any reloading manual that gives pressure data then compare the 376 to a 375 H&H......

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41893 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by luvrecoletta:
OK, I am going to muddy the waters a little bit. Why not go to a 9.3 x 64 Brenneke and have everything one could want in a nice medium bore rifle? Just a thought.

A man after my own heart. To me one of the best designed cartridges there are. And as Ray said, arguably the best all around calibre in the world. I don't need one but I've admired the round for quite a while. I think one day soon I'm going to weed out some of my collection and get one.

There is a Canadian on this site that's big on the 9.3X64 and would probably be helpful if you need info. I think he goes by Snowman or Snowbird, something like that. I haven't seen him around for a while, he's in Manitoba I believe.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote