THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Suggestions for a new .338 Winchester Mag....

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for a new .338 Winchester Mag....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for a new .338 Winchester. What would you recommend. Thanks.

Posts: 136 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at these:

You could do a lot worse and these are pretty reasonbly priced.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Schromf - who is selling those?

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the new model Sako is introducing. It is called the Grey Wolf. It is stainless with a grey laminate stock. I've never had a Sako that doesn't shoot! thumb

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, sorry....CDNN Investments, not a bad buy Huh!

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I would look around far and wide at different Gunshops. I bought my last one in a Pawnshop. I paid $599.00 for it, and it was brand new. It was also one of the "Boss System Rifles", which some believe were put together a little nicer than the latest offerings. Whether thats true or not, I don't know.

The thing about the 338's is their reputation for horrible recoil, (unfounded I believe) therefore they don't sell as fast as most. There was a "Super Grade" that sat at one of the local shops for a couple of years, I still kick myself for not buying it. Beautiful wood, and the price was reasonable. If your not in a hurry, be patient and keep looking and you'll find a nice rifle for a good price.

one of us
posted Hide Post
He is right on this point, a lot of 338's show up on gun tables, kind of like french rifles, never used, dropped twice. I have seen some really good deals on 338's in the last few years. The last that stuck out in my mind was a Sako, older one in excellent shape for around $700 or so.

Septemnber is the start of the annual firearm season, get your eye out and start looking, cause the rifle that was one the table before Elk season, will drop a lot the day after the season closes. Your dealer knows he is sitting on a rifle for another year, and he will start talking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.338win Sako Safari Grade. Nice rig if you can find one. Here is an example photo.
http://www.hunters-hq.com/images/GunlistImages/01_Sako_300.jpg

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
quote:
kind of like french rifles, never used, dropped twice.

clap lol roflmao

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=33953232

Very Good Price. I would buy it but I just bought a Sako TRG 41 in 338 Lapua Magnum.

lawndart

That Winchester from CDNN would be a very good buy also.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote