New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which TSX for 338-06?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Which one for 338-06 on deer, moose and elk?

- 185 gr. Triple Shock:

B.C. (.352)
FPS (3015)

- 210 gr. Tipped Triple Shock:

B.C. (.482)
FPS (2820)

The 210 grain Tipped TSX has much better ballistics coefficient.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The folks at Barnes really got the 338-06 maxed out. Nice to have specs like that then not have to worry about excess pressure and metal fatigue.

That gun is basically duplicating a 30-06 with 30 gr. heavier bullets.

Using the 185 grain TSX exceeds the 30-06 180 and with larger frontal area. The 338-06 is a no brainer 1 gun caliber IMO.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look carefully. The Barnes data on their website for this cartridge is based on a 25" barrel. I'm not sure I'd put such a long barrel on this cartridge.

That said, I'd probably take the 185 for the extra velocity.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
I would go for the 185 gr. The extra velocity an lighter weight will open up a little better I use the 225s on the 338 mags on pigs and elk, it is a pretty durable bullet and holds up well to smacking through both leg bones and exiting.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
What is the downrange velocity of the 185 grainer? Will the 210 not be better?

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Barnes recommends using one weight under that which you'd use in a regular cup n' lead core bullet...so I chose the 225gr X bullet in my 338-06 AI which was throated for the 250gr Partition. I'd use a 30-06 if I thought a 185gr bullet would be sufficient.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Where are your velocity numbers coming from?

I don't have the most recent Barnes manual that is why I ask.

2800+ with a 210 grn slug is quite an accomplishment

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10058 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the downrange velocity of the 185 grainer? Will the 210 not be better?

There's not enough difference in bc for the 210 to catch up for several hundred yards. At normal hunting ranges, say 300 yards or less, the 185 will have higher velocity. I'm guessing without running the numbers, but the heavier bullet probably catches it around 400 yards.

biggameinfo.com has a ballistics calculator

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
210gr TTSX hands down.

Here is my thinking, Barnes says you should step down one bullet weight from a standard cup and core. I feel the 225gr cup and core is the perfect bullet weight for the 338 caliber.

I have used a bunch of 200gr Hornady SP's (deer), 210gr NP"s and TSX's (elk) with great success out of my 338-06's, I don't plan on changing bullet weight anytime soon.

I can only think of a few animals inhabiting this planet that I would not shoot with my 338-06's and 210gr TSX's.

Elephant, Rhino, and cape buffalo come to mind.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
quote:
210gr TTSX hands down.

go with a liter barnes that is the same leingth as your normal bullet and let the weight work its self out. probably the 210 ttsx

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
The two elk I've taken with my 338-06 were taken with 200 gr bonded bullets one Accubond and one Northfork both worked very well. The 185 gr should be enough in most cases but go with the 210 gr for every case. I think its really a matter of which you want to shoot.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
I shot a 200 gr TSX in my 8x57 in
Africa and killed 14 animals form a Klipspringer to a 1,700 lb Eland. I'd go with the heavier bullet with Elk and Moose on the menu.

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
I'm using 225gr Accubonds and TTSX's for my load developemnts in my 338-06 Ackley Improved.

The 210 TTSX's would be the one I'd go with from your choices for this caliber.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob1SG:
The two elk I've taken with my 338-06 were taken with 200 gr bonded bullets one Accubond and one Northfork both worked very well. The 185 gr should be enough in most cases but go with the 210 gr for every case. I think its really a matter of which you want to shoot.

I have taken a bunch of animals w/the 210grNP @ 2750fps. I would think the 210grTSX could be driven to the same vel. & hold them a bit better out @ 300yds than the 210grNP. Either will work for deer size game, but for elk size animlas, I like the 210grTSX. I've recently bought some to try & hopefully they shoot as well in my 338-06 as they do in my 338x74K.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted Hide Post
Whole point of a .33 cal bore is bullets 210 gr or better, IMO.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayfaring Stranger:
Whole point of a .33 cal bore is bullets 210 gr or better, IMO.

While I tend to agree, the Barnes 185gr @ 2900fps makes a lot of sense for a general big game rifle. It will work fine on any deer size game & flat enough for 350yrd shots. The monometal makes up a bit for the lost SD. Still, I am more comfortable w/ the 210gr wts @ 2750fps & since I already shoot a 210grNP, the 210grTSX or TTSX makes a lot of sense.

posted Hide Post
210s, They just work for me.

Posts: 146 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted Hide Post
Without question my wife uses the 210 grain TSX and shot everything from Springbok to Zebra and Kudu and 9 of 11 animals were one shot kills to 326 years on one Kudu and 311 on Zebra.

She has now set her 270 Win. back in the gun safe for her 338-06 almost exclusively. It does an incredible job on big whitetails and leaves a blood trail that we marvel every animal that she kills.

I really believe the 185 would get you by on deer and black bear but I'd not feel safe with Elk and Moose and would prefer it for bear also.

The display of PURE POWER is nothing short of AWESOME !

1 JOHN 3:18

Posts: 327 | Location: The Beautiful Sandhills of America | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Wow that Zebra and Kudu were both over 300 years old...LoL

just couldn't resist...I don't spell/grammar/word check either

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10058 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Wow that Zebra and Kudu were both over 300 years old...LoL

just couldn't resist...I don't spell/grammar/word check either

Light years. They were very far away!

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have now had the good fortune to take Yukon moose, Mountain Caribou, brown bear, zebra, sable, bushbuck, waterbuck with my 338-06. A great caliber. The moose/caribou were taken cleanly with the Nosler Custom 225 gr partition, the brown bear with handloads in 250 A Frame and the African animals with handloads in the 210 Barnes TTSX. All African animals with the exception of the sable had clean pass throughs and the sable bullet retained 95% and was a perfect mushroom.

I prefer the 210 TTSX in this pre 64 fwt with original 22" barrel bored out to 338. Comes in all in at just under 8 lb and is a pleasure to carry and shoot.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Remington 700 BDL is one of the best rifles you can buy.

Most of my rifles are 700 BDL. Thats the way I like it.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike, 2800fps is doable w/ a 24"bbl. I have a 22 1/2" on mine & 2750fps is the norm w/o bending anything. I would think another 1 1/2" bll could get you 50-75fps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have sent 210 TSX at 2800 fps with Big Game and a 24 in. barrel. 2750-2800 is not a major problem IMO.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote