Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x72R
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted
I've been looking around for .35 WCF brass, but today it finally dawned on me that this older European job has the same case capacity and nearly the same bore diameter. Since the brass is much easier to come by, I got to thinking it might be a good alternative chambering for a single shot. I see, though, that the operating pressure is rather low, maybe 27,000 psi whereas the .35 WCF is up around 40,000.

Has anyone tried pushing this cartridge? Could the brass take the extra pressure with decent case life, say 8 or more firings?

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
it is very likely that modern brass would take the extra pressure without a hinch.

norma produces brass in 6x70R which maybe worth looking at.

montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Has anyone tried pushing this cartridge? Could the brass take the extra pressure with decent case life, say 8 or more firings?

With modern propellants (Vihtavuori high energy series), the old cartridge can be pushed above 2000 Joules terminal energy at 100 metres, still within the (very LOW) CIP max use pressure limits.

For reloading data, see the DEVA handbook, 4th edition.

Regards,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your looking for 35wcf, check with Buffaloe Brothers, they carry it, if your into forming your own its just 405 win,formed down

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Buffalo Arms stuff is nice; I have a sample. I'm a bit worried about the long term supply. There are several European makers of 9.3x72R brass right now.

Buffalo appears to be making theirs from partially formed .30-40 brass from Remington. I suspect Remington pulls the cases off their line before the necking and trimming operations and sells these to B.A. for final forming into various cartridges.

The rims of .405 and .405 Basic are much thicker than .35 WCF brass. The .35 is also a trifle thinner than the .30-40. I'd like to have good headspace on the rim on this rifle, and thinning a few hundred rims I'd like to avoid.

I suspect I'd go with the .35 WCF and lay in a good stock of the B.A. brass. Stored with some desiccant, I think it'd be good for as long as I will be around. The 9.3x72R, though, offers a nice long neck, useful for shooting lubed, cast bullets. With the .35 WCF, paper patched would be best with cast bullets.

6x70R?; that's a new one to me.

Karl

one of us
posted Hide Post
asdf,

the 9.3x72R is nominally obsolete, but brass and ammo is produced by various companies then and now.
My knowledge:
the last production at RWS is a long time ago.
Sellier & Bellot made brass quite recently, but at my last visit to a big Swiss dealer it was "not available anymore". But loaded ammo was available.
About Norma I do not know.

I would not use the 9.3x72R as a base for any new cartridge.

The 6x70R is based on the very old and really extinct 6.5x70R, and has a much smaller rim and base diameter than the 9.3x70R. Case capacity may be too small for your purpose.

Why not start with the 9.3x74R?

Fuhrmann

Posts: 110 | Location: Switzerland, Zug area (but German by birth...) | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

The low pressure rating of this cartridge is based on the fact that a lot of the old doubles and combination guns chambered for it just aren't up to higher pressures. It is not a limitation of the brass!

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that update, Fuhrmann. I saw several listings for the brass from various makers. I didn't realize it was the end of the run for some of them.

Yes, I did consider the excellent 9.3x74R. My goal is 250 gn at 2100 fps, and the 9.3x74R case is rather large for that, requiring one to play around with reduced loads and possibly fillers and such. I thought also about forming 400/350 from the 9.3x74R. That would get capacity down some, but I still think the .35 WCF -- while not perfect -- is a better fit. I'll be shooting some .35 Rem level loads (200 gn at 2000 fps) as well, and this is easier with the smaller case. I'll look over the 9.3x74R reloading data one more time before committing, though.

Karl

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you thought about useing 303brit, I have used it to form 30-40 Krag, and it will work in my 35, but it is an older model, the rebarreled one uses the 405 basic

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
With the ballistics you quote, you might need a .356 Winchester. It's rimmed, new brass is available and inexpensive, it has the correct headstamp, and factory loads, while rarely found, have just about exactly the power you are looking for. Then there's always the 9x57R...

Posts: 969 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am surprized none have mentioned the .444 Marlin case .
It is strong and availible and is cheap.

The .358 JDJ or the 35/444 when loaded to .358 Win. pressures will excede the .358 Win.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote