THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Help Pricing a Remington Model #85197 Please.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Pricing a Remington Model #85197 Please.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can I request help pricing Rem. 700 Model #85197 It is as new in the box. Thank you. Bought this a few years before the Rem. Bankruptcy.

The Remington 700 5-R Gen2 sets the benchmark for accuracy and durability. Much like M-24, the barrel is cold hammer forged and features 5-R rifling. The 5R rifling profile increases barrel life expectancy, accuracy and creates less fouling and bullet deformation over time. It has an action and barrel with a black cerakote finish, H.S. Precision composite stock, dual front swivel stud system, and a X-Mark Pro adjustable trigger. This model features a 24" threaded barrel chambered in 300 Winchester Magnum.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 311 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
we have the exact rifle with a retail price of $999.00

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:

Yes, Exact "ONLY" in the same model number. IT IS NOT EXACTLY the SAME. Kind-of like a pre-64 model 70 and a post 64' push feed are the same rifle, because the continued to call it a "MODEL 70".

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Alaskan Sourdough what do you think is different about his vs. yours?

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10059 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rem. 700 Model #85197

quick google search shows about $1k

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38488 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browsing here might give you a reference. Apparently, a lot of variability between models.

https://truegunvalue.com/rifle...historical-value-661

These are alleged to be guns that have sold.

Posts: 3683 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask what you want for it. If it sells your price is right . If it doesn't sell, then it is too high. Just look at Gun Broker at all the high priced guns that just set there for months.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaskan Sourdough:
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:

Yes, Exact "ONLY" in the same model number. IT IS NOT EXACTLY the SAME. Kind-of like a pre-64 model 70 and a post 64' push feed are the same rifle, because the continued to call it a "MODEL 70".

om rereading your posts on the subject, you appear to have a "pre-bankrupcy" remington model 700, model number abc-- cool.. and then compare that to the pre, post, and post-post model 70s... which all have different model numbers ... I kinda get your point, but it's not the same -- i don't believe like ANYTHING (parts) swapped between pre-64 and post 64 model 70s .. but, dude, like eVERYTHING swap pre-post bankruptcy m700, model 85197 --

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:

An "H.S. PRECISION" stock is superior to a BELL and CARLSON stock for one thing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

An "H.S. PRECISION" stock is superior to a BELL and CARLSON stock for one thing.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Alaskan Sourdough,

So I suspect inquiring minds want to know just how you know that the rifle Hivelosity is referring to doesn't have the features you describe in your post?

A simple fact of internet forums is that those who read and participate on forums are members of the human race and as far as I know; no human being has ever proven to be clairvoyant; i.e, a mind reader. You listed an item number and Hivelosity replied.

So nobody knows, how you would know that the rifle Hivelosity is referencing is not the exact same rifle.

So consider the following:

1. You post is on a public thread.

2. Hivelosity replies with "we have that exact same rifle for $999.00"

3. You reply with essentially - no it's not. Followed by a less than appropriate analogy because "model numbers" are very different than "item numbers" with respect to products.

So unless there was some other communication with Hivelosity not on this thread (which none of us are aware of) you appear to criticizing Hivelosity's response in an unjustified manner. The preceding behavior is likely not going to lead to anybody else assisting you.

The above will also lead to less than kind thoughts about you and the potenial buying experience that the 50,000 plus members here might have if you ever chose to post this rifle for sale on this site or any other site.

The above is a nice way of saying - "If you are going to ask for assistance, don't be a [fill in the blank explexitive]."

Enjoy your tequila.

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10059 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alaskan Sourdough,

So I suspect inquiring minds want to know just how you know that the rifle Hivelosity is referring to doesn't have the features you describe in your post?

You carefully read the product DESCRIPTION. Try that, you will be surprised what you could learn, if you simply read the description of both firearms. "Then" you would not be so confused.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Alaska Sourdough,

I would happy to read the description of Hivelosty's firearm and compare the two descriptions.

However, this entire post (as of right now and at 17:50 Mtn time on July 4) only contains one description of a firearm, yours.

This post starts starts with you identifying a firearm by item number and including its description.

Immediately followed by Hivelosity reply saying only "we have the exact rifle with a retail price of $999.00"

Hivelosity did not describe the firearm he was refering to nor did he post a link to it.

So, just where is the description of Hivelosity's firearm that you used to determine there was a difference.

To put a finer point on it, where is the information that states Hevelosity's rifle has a Bell and Carlson stock because it is not in this post nor is there a link to it anywhere in this post.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regardless of the value you place on it, it's only worth what someone will pay for it.

Posts: 707 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alaska Sourdough,

I would happy to read the description of Hivelosty's firearm and compare the two descriptions.

However, this entire post (as of right now and at 17:50 Mtn time on July 4) only contains one description of a firearm, yours.

This post starts starts with you identifying a firearm by item number and including its description.

Immediately followed by Hivelosity reply saying only "we have the exact rifle with a retail price of $999.00"

Hivelosity did not describe the firearm he was refering to nor did he post a link to it.

So, just where is the description of Hivelosity's firearm that you used to determine there was a difference.

To put a finer point on it, where is the information that states Hevelosity's rifle has a Bell and Carlson stock because it is not in this post nor is there a link to it anywhere in this post.

I am sorry you lack the skills to do an internet search of the current production Model 85197 I have done that so I understand the difference.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I appreciate your concern for my lack of skills but I am actually quite comfortable with my abilities especially those involving reading and logic.

(all bolding below has been added for emphasis)

It would appear you have not been reading carefully nor applying the best logic. Based on your post immediately above, you are making the assumption that Hivelsoity's rifle is current production. I do not make that assumption because I do read carefully - Hivelosity's response was "we have the exact rifle with a retail price of $999.00".

Now maybe Hivelosity's rifle is the current production or maybe it is the exact same rifle as yours, maybe he made an error or maybe he did not. But note, Hivelosity did not state "we have a model 85197 in stock with a retail price of..." He stated "we have the exact rifle with a retail price of $999.00"

Unless, you communicated with Hivelosity separately, you don't know whether the rifle Hivelosity is referring to is current production or has been sitting on the shelf since it was produced in the same production run as your rifle.

Hivelosity simply stated he has the exact same rifle. Not whether is was current production, new, or used.

I effectively asked you this question or raised the above point four different times:

1. So I suspect inquiring minds want to know just how you know that the rifle Hivelosity is referring to doesn't have the features you describe in your post?

2. So nobody knows, how you would know that the rifle Hivelosity is referencing is not the exact same rifle.

3. This post starts starts with you identifying a firearm by item number and including its description. Immediately followed by Hivelosity reply stating only "we have the exact rifle with a retail price of $999.00". Hivelosity did not describe the firearm he was refering to nor did he post a link to it.

4. So, just where is the description of Hivelosity's firearm that you used to determine there was a difference.

But you have failed to answer it directly except for by implication in your last post.

Based on your last post: "I am sorry you lack the skills to do an internet search of the current production Model 85197 I have done that so I understand the difference."

It would seem you have never spoken or communicated with Hivelosity regarding the features of the specific rifle he is referring to because you would have simply stated that you did communicate with Hivelosity and he told you his response was innaccurate.

So I believe I have my answer, you actually don't know the features and description of the specific rifle Hivelosity's is referring to with a retail price of $999.00. You are making an assumption which may or may not be right. But given Hivelosity's specific response of "exact same rifle", while your assumption may turn out to be true; it is not a logical assumption based on Hivelosity's response and if anything it is an illogical assumption based on as the saying goes "the data in front of you."

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread got entertaining in a hurry. Thanks!

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.hinterlandoutfitte...-2-rifle-154675.html

This is the gun in question. If you have one with the same model number it is likely it is the same. This rifle is equipped just as described.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Just ran across this, I crack myself up...

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just ran across this, I crack myself up...

So very true Mike

Posts: 19392 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Bobster,

So it appears current production is an HS precision stock is that correct?

Based on seeing your post, I ran a couple of other searches and I noted that sometimes 85197 is preceded with an R but in looking at Buds (no R), Palmetto (no R), and Cheaper Than Dirt (no R) they all indicate HS-Precision Stock.

The one Rem 700 I found with a B&C stock was an 85611 but I only spent a few minutes.

Mike

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Nice to see you have a project - while never ultimately rewarding, there are moments along the way rotflmo

https://www.guncritic.com/prod...r-bolt-action-rifle/
quote:
REM Gen2 Model 700 5R .300 Winchester Magnum 24 Inch Threaded Barrel 5/8-24 TPI Black Cerakote Stainless Steel HS Precision Stock Sand With Black Webbing 3 Round Gen2 model 700 with X-Mark Pro Trigger and the M700 stainless steel barreled action, threaded barrel with 5R rifling. 5/8-24 threads. Black Cerakote coated stainless steel barrel. HS Precision stock; sand with black webbing. Tactical bolt knob. .300 Winchester Magnum Long action. 1:10 inch 5R twist rate.

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well I need something to occupy my time while recovering from hernia surgery

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
To my knowledge that is correct. The model number extends back to the pre-bankruptcy and is continued. The OP's description of his rifle is identical. The new organization seems to be carrying on with the same model numbers. Any variation of stock type, finish, etc would generate a different model number. After all, they do have 5 digit model numbers. That leaves a lot of room!

Now, the gun in question is said to be a pre-bankruptcy gun and right now those are commanding a bit of a premium. Maybe an extra $200 or so.

quote:
Bobster,

So it appears current production is an HS precision stock is that correct?

Based on seeing your post, I ran a couple of other searches and I noted that sometimes 85197 is preceded with an R but in looking at Buds (no R), Palmetto (no R), and Cheaper Than Dirt (no R) they all indicate HS-Precision Stock.

The one Rem 700 I found with a B&C stock was an 85611 but I only spent a few minutes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington's have a low base of collectors and simply not very collectable as an investment IMO.
Only recently has the Rem 721 and 722 showed any collectability and not a heck of a lot...and the increase in value is by hunters want a good cheap rifle and they are that..

Any discontinued firearm seems to increase in value a bit, simply because of it availability but that wont last long..Same with bullets powder dies etc..Panic buying..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
This is just another Rem 700. I bust all of them down for the actions and use the barrels for pry bars. No one know or cares when they were made.
As RA said; no one is collecting these. They are shooting them. And building stuff on them.

Posts: 17123 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
This is just another Rem 700. I bust all of them down for the actions and use the barrels for pry bars. No one know or cares when they were made.
As RA said; no one is collecting these. They are shooting them. And building stuff on them.

Thumbs up!!!

Zeke