New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brno 22F
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently bought one of these in 8x57. It is a very nice piece. Can anyone point me to some data regarding production dates- I'd like to know when this gun was produced (serial # just makes it into the 15xxx range).
Also, I think the rear sight has been replaced (it has a folding Lyman with a white triangle- guessing it didn't come this way from the factory). Does anyone have a recommendation of a replacement for what I think should be a two-leaf flip up?

Thanks.........

Posts: 250 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Does your action have integral mounts or is it round? I know the pre-1949 models didn't have any provisions for optics and the later ones did.

Maybe KurtC, fla3006 or Alf will see this and comment. Any of them could write a book on the subject.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, so my rifle has a round receiver. It is NOT drilled for scope mounts. The date next to the proof mark is 47, so it is a 1947, eh? Still wish it had the fold down rear sight........

Thanks, Gentlemen!

Posts: 250 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Mine is missing too. A Lyman 16A is a nice replacement.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great rifle. After searching long and hard I recently swapped a Ruger #1 for this 22H in 7x57. Quite a deal I thought. I have a number of folding rear sights so let me take a look and see if any match the one on my rifle.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Boxhead: Your rifle is a 21H, I don't believe there is a model 22H.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
TC1's rifle strictly speaking has a period mixture in terms of fitments.

The Scope mount that is on that rifle was the invention of the Koucky brothers and actually goes with the ZKK range of rifles. It is thus essentially as post 1965 design

It is a modification of the Galas rifles ( ZG) scope mount.

The Model 21's and 22's as they are now commonly referred to had a different scope mounting system more akin to that of the ZG 47

The picture was shown to give an idea about what the Lyman 16A sight would look like on Super Bon Bon's rifle if he used it to fill the void where the factory one was. Nothing on mine is "correct", but she do look good.

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I shoulda put a smily in there. Dang it beer

Alf, you're are a wealth of information. Keep up the great work!

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chisana:
Boxhead: Your rifle is a 21H, I don't believe there is a model 22H.

Chisana..I believe that the 22H's are short barreled with half stock...I have 2 21H's in 7X57(long barrels) and one 22H in 8X57 with a shorter barrel...all factory length...I really like the 22H...A true mountain rifle if there ever was one... Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Once upon a time, somewhere in the world, they were advertised as the 21 being long barrel, 22 being short barrel. F for fullstock, H for halfstock, giving 4 variations.

Despite the fact that they were made for 10 years, with dozens of distributors in numerous countries, I've never come across one that had a factory model number stamped on it. Retailers were pretty much free to call it anything they wanted.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/