THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Need a .300 win mag Accubond load

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a .300 win mag Accubond load
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted
I'm going start loading some accubonds and I'd like some suggestions on 180gr or 200gr Accubond load for a .300 win mag.

Confused

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With 180 gr, try 73 gr Rel 25 and work up from there.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best load I know for 180gr/300 WM is 82.3 grs. of Re25 - should give ~3112 fps in 24" barrel with ~61,000 psi. Also, very accurate.

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Go here,

http://www.reloadersnest.com/query_bl.asp?CaliberID=61&...et=Nosler%20AccuBond

and you should find something that works for you.

posted Hide Post
180 grn. Accubond over 75 grns of RL 22 got me 3160 fps. and sub 1/2" groups. Worked great on mule deer last year.

Posts: 39 | Location: Casper, WY | Registered: 18 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jumpalot:
180 grn. Accubond over 75 grns of RL 22 got me 3160 fps. and sub 1/2" groups. Worked great on mule deer last year.

Yup, That sounds about right for the 180, I've actually loaded 75.5grs with 180 Hornadys, which was the most accurate. jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
75.5 grains RL22 with 180 grain bullet gets me 3194 fps. About 1" in that particular rifle.

AIU, 77.5 grains RL25 got me 3054 fps with 180 grain TSX. Still working up but 82.3 grains RL25 seems like it might yield more than 3112. Course rifles are different.

Without guns we are subjects (or victims), with guns we are citizens

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
woods, this is what QL predicts as the best powders for the 300 WM with a 180 gr. 24" barrel. I'm getting ~3250 fps with 83 grs. Re25 behind a 180 NBT with a 26" barrel - this is MAX with psi ~65,000.

cartridge: .300 Win. Mag.(N)
Bullet: .308, 180, HDY SP 3070
O.A.L.: 3.340 inch or 84.84 mm
Barrel Length: 24.0 inch or 609.6 mm
Predicted Data for Indicated Charges of the Following Powders.
Matching Maximum Pressure: 65000 psi or a maximum loading ratio or filling of 120 %

C A U T I O N : any load listed can result in a powder charge that exceeds maximum suggested loads as presented in current handloading manuals. Understand that all of the listed powders can be unsuitable for the given combination of cartridge, bullet and gun. Actual load order can vary, depending upon lot-to-lot powder and component variations. USE ONLY FOR COMPARISON !

H870/95.6g/3216fps/65000
Retumbo/87.8g/3182fps/65000
MRP2/86.7g/3174fps/65000
RamMag(Big Boy)/87.9g/3174fps/65000
N560/81.9g/3171fps/65000
Re-25/84.5g/3168fps/65000
MRP/82.1g/3168fps/65000
7828SSC/81.4g/3162fps/65000
MAGPRO/85.4g/3162fps/65000

Re-22/81.3g/3144fps/65000

H1000/86.5g/3143fps/65000
WXR/81.7g/3143fps/65000
H4831SC/82.7g/3128fps/65000

Why all the excitement about Re-22? There are better powders available, especially Retumbo, Big Boy, n560, Re-25, 7828, and MagPro. MRPs and H870 are essentially not available.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't care what Quickload says, if your getting 3250 fps out of a 300 Winchester Magnum in a 24" barrel you are running too high of pressures, you need to back off!

75-77grs of RL-22 with a 180gr bullet is a superb load in 300 Winchester Magnums. Me and a few friends have shot this load in close to a dozen different 300 Winchester magnums with superb results. 75 is max in some rifles (like my SHR-970) but many will shoot 77grs no problems.
The 81.3grs that quickload mentions is an absolute overload don't even think about that much RL-22 in a 300 Win mag with 180gr bullets!

Good luck..............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
AIU,

Can't speak for anyone else, but so far RL22 yields the best accuracy.

Do appreciate the QL info though, and am still trying with RL25.

Without guns we are subjects (or victims), with guns we are citizens

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply's guys. Does anyone know why there aren't any H4831 loads listed for a 180gr. Bullet in the new Nosler Manual? The IMR version is in there but not the Hogedon or H1000 either.

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
Best load I know for 180gr/300 WM is 82.3 grs. of Re25 - should give ~3112 fps in 24" barrel with ~61,000 psi. Also, very accurate.

PLEASE be very careful with Rel 25, as there is a great variation in lot numbers. I agree, 82 gr "was" my best load too, but that was 5 years ago, and Rel 25 was much slower then.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum61:
Thanks for the reply's guys. Does anyone know why there aren't any H4831 loads listed for a 180gr. Bullet in the new Nosler Manual? The IMR version is in there but not the Hogedon or H1000 either.

They publish only the powders and loads that give the best results in their testing. Obviously those two powders didn't do as well as the ones they did test.

I just finished developing loads for a 300WM testing only temperature tolerant powders. H4831SC reached max pressures at much slower velocity than others. I ended up using H1000.

In testing Retumbo the maximum I could load in a case with the 180 Accubond .010" off the lands was 85g, and that was VERY highly compressed. With an earlier lot of that propellant, 81g provided 3140fps with very good accuracy. In order to get back to that velocity with the new lot I had to cram it in the case and it just didn't work. That's the most radical difference in propellants I've ever seen. I think the QL numbers quoted above are WAAAAY off.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
To all posters here:

This is a very interesting discussion, so in order to be as accurate as possible, please can anyone posting loading data, indicate as much details as possible?? (ie : barrel length, primer, OAL, bullet maker, crimp, firearm, etc) I'm sure this will be appreciated by many others and thaniks for the info provided so far!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have settled on a load using the 200 grain accubond. The reason I went with the 200 grainer was the fact that it was the only weight available at the time I went through the process you are starting. With that said, I have shot two head of game (5x5 bull elk and 4x4 mule deer buck) with this load and I don't see any need for the 180 grain bullet. The extra b.c. of the 200 grainer comes very close to making up for the decreased velocity in the trajectory department and the energy figures and longer shank make up for that in my opinion. Run the numbers and you will be surprised.

Anyway, my pet load consists of the following:

Virgin W-W brass
Federal 215M primer
80.5 grains of H1000
200 grain Nosler Accubond seated .030 off the lands

Average velocity for 10 recorded shots was 3038.5 fps
Group size for the 10 recorded shots was 1.1"

I shoot a Browning Stainless Stalker with a 26" barrel.

I got my load information out of the Hodgdon #26 manual. They list a maximum load of 80.0 grains of H1000 for a velocity of 2,984 out of a 26" tube. Based on that and my results, I think my load is safe. I have not noticed any high pressure signs with this load. The new manual show 79.0 grains as a max load. Anyway, grab the information off the site http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/300winma.php and work up carefully.

I tried Retumbo as well, but my experience was the same as was already stated. Couldn't get enough powder in the case to make it beneficial (with a 180 grain bullet) With a 200 grain bullet the velocity was impressive, but it grouped like crap.

Good luck.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Lapua and Norma brass - both will accommodate 89 grs. of Retumbo, although the load is tapped and compressed, but the bullet does not extrude.

My experience with the various powders is pretty much what the books and burn-rate charts indicate. Moreover, QL is usually quite close to predicting which powders will give the maxium velocity with lowest pressures. The one exception is VVn560, which QL has nearly as slow as Re25, but my experience is that it is slightly faster than Re22.

One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
I like the 300 Win Mag. I don't recall the specific charge weight, but I was working up some loads with Reloader 22 & Nosler 200 grn Partition. The accuracy for the load was excellent at outside temps ~70 degrees, but the accuracy deteriorated noticably when fired at an outside temperature of ~40 degrees. I eventually went back to using H4831SC. It produced slightly slower velocities, but was rock stable regardless of the outside temperature. Has anyone else experienced this with Re22?

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
My personal feelings regarding judging maximum loads in rifles cartridges by using the age-old techniques like flattened primers, etc are misleading. I think in the upper end of the charge weights, you're likely reaching over pressure conditions before you start to see visible evidence. Just MHO as I don't necessarily like to beat myself or my rifles up wioth max charges all the time. I killed alot of game with a 358 Winchester and never felt I was lacking anything... that is until my wallet got a little fatter and I started reading gun magazines.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob338:
That's the most radical difference in propellants I've ever seen. I think the QL numbers quoted above are WAAAAY off.

Bob, I remember there being a recall on Retumbo a few years back, not long after it came out. Is there a chance that of the two different lots you tried one may have been "pre-recall" and the other after?

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
Bob, I remember there being a recall on Retumbo a few years back, not long after it came out. Is there a chance that of the two different lots you tried one may have been "pre-recall" and the other after?[/QUOTE]

I suppose anything is possible but the "old" can I had was purchased from a high volume retailer one year ago, so I doubt it.

I also had some disparity in the H1000, but just about the same as I've seen in H4350. I'm just glad it went from faster-to-slower, not the other way around, which is a good recommendation for re working up old loads when you change any component.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote