Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62 bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys,
I'm in the early stages of looking into a cow water buffalo hunt in Australia.
The guide has given me the nod on the 9.3x62 with strong bullets.
Suggestions please, my mind went to the Nosler Partition, but what about factory ammunition? What experience have any of you had with Norma 286 grain ammo in it's different forms and which would you use on a buff cow? Any comment on any factory ammunition would also be appreciated.
Thanks.

I'm pink therefore I'm Spam.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
You might tr this in the European Hunting Forum. Thee is a greater collective experience there with Norma 9.3 ammo.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks tigger.
I did think about asking the Europeans but as far as I know there aren't any water buffalo in Europe. I will ask our Australian mates later

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I have seen good results on three Cape Buffalo with the 9.3x62 using 300grn Swift A Frames and 286grn Woodleigh Solids and have used RWS factory ammunition with 293grn TUG projectiles on big Eland.
The Woodliegh 286grn "Protected point" soft prjectiles are quit good and should be hard enough for Buff, had one zip through a Zebra once.
Good hunting,
Adam C.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
oldun,There is guy who offers management hunts for Water Buff in the wildes of East Arnhem Land.
5 days 1x1=AU$1500+ AIR Charter
Trophy fees managment Bull $800
MUCKADILLA SAFARIS
Glenn Giffin
muckadilla@optusnet.com.au

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
As per a NORMA catlogue, they make the 9.3x62 in factory loads with the good ORYX 285GRN bullet, a good factory option with the RWS293TUG for buff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed has killed more buffalo that everyone else in AR. I would heed his posted experience as the African buffalo are supposed to be the harder to kill.

Posts: 1074 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oldon,

woodleigh make 9.3 bullets from 250 gr through to 320 gr softs and solids, if buff where on my menu I would get a couple of packets of the woodleigh 320 gr softs, they should penetrate forever and expand, you will get around 2200-2300 fps I would think.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you should take a serious look at the Barnes X or TSX (it should be available in 9.3 by now). You can hardly go wrong with any of the abovementioned.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I would go for the 250 grs A-frame, BX or Rhino.
There has been some "problems" with the Oryx, so I cant suggest it. The problems seem to be separation of lead/jacket, but it shuoldnt occur on a premium bullet.
Norma uses the same bullet for all the 9,3:s, so for it to work in a 57`it can get a little soft for the 62:s.
Just my guess...
Good luck on the hunt!

Posts: 168 | Location: North of the Arctic circle,in Sweden | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I have limited experience with the Oryx (used it a bit in 9.3x74R). I think for buffalo I would look for more of a controlled-expansion bullet. I am afraid the Oryx might be softer than you would want for this application. However, my experience is limited and it penetrated perfectly on a medium sized feral hog. Personally I would look elsewhere, especially with Woodleigh being locally (more or less) available.

This is Norma's picture of expansion:

This is how they recommend you use it:

"The Oryx is unsurpassed in its design. It is suitable for many types of game such as deer, stag, moose, wild boar and black bear."

Norma's website

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the the range of hard projectles in 9.3x62 FACTORY ammo is sadly lacking, but no problem if you hand load. again my preference is with "300grn" Swift A Frame's with 286grn woodleigh solids.
The 286grn barnes X would be great also .
My 9.3 wont shoot the real heavy 320grn woodleigh's at a fast enough speed.{IMO ideal for the 9.3x64}.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
If the question were "What 9.3 bullet would you pick?" I would probably go with North Fork soft, flat point solid or cup point solid. I used the 250-grain softs on a couple of animals in Namibia (nothing the size of a buffalo -- I would go with a heavier version for that) from my 9.3x62 and was pleased. I have no idea what the shipping would be.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
You guys in the States are so lucky with such a variety of gear available. In Australia you have to special order things like "A FRAMES", unfortunatly no chance to buy North Forks .
I once asked for some 286grn Barnes X's from our supplier, but they refused to belive they were made even when i explained they were in Barnes's catalogue, i gave up on them.
I guess it makes life more simple.
Swift A Frame are available in New Zealand.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester 'Supreme' 286gr 'Partition' loads, thumb if you can get them. Wink

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
My hunting rifle is a 9,3x62 and is a very good caliber for waterbuffs. I think that you will be able to buy woodleighs very easy down there so why bother with other bullets?

Just ask someone to reload for you some ammo with the 286 grainers in softs and solids and you will be ok. Put the soft one in the chamber and fill the magazine with solids, if you do your part you will have a VERY dead buffalo.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the 286gr Woodleighs Soft point and Solids unfortunatly these will have to be a handloaded option though I am not aware of any factory ammo
perhaps you could try the Woodleigh Website they may be able to point you in the right direction for loaded ammo?
http://www.woodleighbullets.com.au

Posts: 249 | Location: Australia | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oldun - check what Alan Turner at North-South has - he usually has a good stock of stuff like Swifts and Woodleighs, and can arrange for Mark Bridgman to load them for you if necessary. As I said, I have a stock if you're caught short. Cheers, Charlie.

Posts: 159 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a good strong rifle that has a long throat I'd go with the 320 gr. Woodleigh at 2300 or better...otherwise the 286 gr. Woodleigh or Nosler.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
In a good strong rifle that has a long throat I'd go with the 320 gr. Woodleigh at 2300 or better...otherwise the 286 gr. Woodleigh or Nosler.

The rifle is a CZ 550 'MERICAN.
At this stage I favour the 286 grain and probably softs and solids by Woodleigh. When hunting should I load the magazine for the soft-solid double tap?
Cheers.

Gee, typing with a double busted left arm is a pain in the butt, why's that?
And another three weeks before the plaster comes off! I'll be demented by then.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the Partition on feral cattle and it works. Nosler Custom Ammunition lists it in their loads, but at $65.95 for a box of 20, I'd keep looking.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have observed excellent performance by the 286 grain Nosler Partition and the 286 grain Swiss SDCE bullet. Personally, the 286 Barnes did not shoot well in my 9.3x62mm.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ray,

Is there any significance in using a heavy bullet such as a 320 grainer in a 9,3? I mean do you see any value in the higher sectional density of the bullet or is it just a practical joke as propagated by ol' Gerard?

Take care
Chris

PS: Come to think of it, I have never heard of a 'practical joke' as the inference is then that there is something like an 'impractical joke', hey? Nevermind, not important anyway.

Posts: 656 | Location: RSA | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Come to think of it, I have never heard of a 'practical joke'
This is not surprising because a Baker's Dozen, according to you, is ten. "Obituration" is a word you coined in the last 48 hours and who knows what that means? How far did you get with shooting those square cylinders you were talking about a while back?
Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have never heard of a 'practical joke' as the inference is then that there is something like an 'impractical joke', hey?

SD is irrelevant ... completely insignificant !!!

Bafoonababoona

troll

Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How far did you get with shooting those square cylinders you were talking about a while back?

Gerard,

Square thoughts of a square head or perhaps dickhead !!!!

Bufoonababoona.

troll

Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
COLOR:RED]THE BAKER'S DOZEN[/COLOR]

Gerard thanks for bring up the the issue of the baker's dozen that was solved some time. The riddle has been completely solved.

Of course you knew it before your birth, in fact I do not think you needed any schooling, you are just too special for such mundane shit.

Now for the other guys that have not heard this term before, just like me who had to read ol' Pondoro's book, and then he got it wrong too, it is actually 13 - you see the baker would bake 13 cookies, taste one to make sure if it was any good, and then put the perfect 12 (dozen) on the shelf. This is great ... we live and we learn, except you the genius of PE - the Guru Supreme!

Looks like you have nothing better to say.

Bafoonababoona

sleep

Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by truvelloshooter:
COLOR:RED]THE BAKER'S DOZEN[/COLOR]

Gerard thanks for bring up the the issue of the baker's dozen that was solved some time. The riddle has been completely solved.

Of course you knew it before your birth, in fact I do not think you needed any schooling, you are just too special for such mundane shit.

Now for the other guys that have not heard this term before, just like me who had to read ol' Pondoro's book, and then he got it wrong too, it is actually 13 - you see the baker would bake 13 cookies, taste one to make sure if it was any good, and then put the perfect 12 (dozen) on the shelf. This is great ... we live and we learn, except you the genius of PE - the Guru Supreme!

Looks like you have nothing better to say.

Bafoonababbona

sleep

Chris

The above is without doubt the best response to a request for help on bullet sellection I've come across, thank you so much. bewildered