Find
Notify
Tools

.30-06 load for Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted
I'm taking my .30-06 to Africa this May/June. It will used for plains game animals/my back up 2nd rifle.

I am thinking of either a 180 gr Nosler Accubond/Partition or the 200 gr Accubond?nosler partion.

I used the 180 gr Accubond to take a decent sized mulie doe in Montana in Nov. 2007, about a 140 yard broadside shot, NO bullet recovery on the 1 shot kill and the doe didn't cover 30 yards after the shot.

Opinions??

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good choice

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'd opt for the 180 Accubond if your rifle shoots it. My wife and I used 7mms 140&160 in Namibia this spring. Made all one shot kills up through Kudu

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you'd be hard pressed to best the 180 partition @2700f/s. That would be my choice in both primary, and back-up rifles. The Accubond has skyrocketed in popularity and for good reason, but fact of the matter is not every rifle shoots boat tail bullets well. The 200 grain bullet would make an excellent compromise bullet also.
For those that use iron sights, try a round nose bullet of either 180 or 220 grains. Heck, the only thing I wouldn't consider is the 150 grain bullet.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I would use the 200-grain Nosler Partition loaded to 2600 FPS using a slow powder like H4831 or RL22........

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of the bullets you describe are well constructed. Use the one your rifle shoots more accurately.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a 200 grain Nosler Partition to take my Black Bear in AK last spring. 200 yard shot complete pass through of both front shoulders. It wasn't the fastest load only 52 grains H4350, but it was the most accurate in my rifle. I'm very happy with the performance of the 200 grain in the 06.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
The couple of times I have taken my 06 to Africa I have used the Nosler 220gr Partition. Everything I hit went down and I hit everything I shot at. Can't argue with success. Took a Wildebeest at over 300yds and put him to the ground. We were actually sitting having tea and my host said he needed the cape for a former client who had a poor cape. I shot the Wildebeest and he went straight down and never moved. My host said to finish our tea and we would go pick him up. 15 minutes later we looked up and lo he was gone. He had gotten up and walked over 100yds with literally half a heart. My 06 shoots 220gr particularly well and so I use them and feel I am well prepared for any plains game animal. In fact have only shot half a dozen rounds of any other bullet in Africa and that was a Swift A Frame. On an Impala it was .30 in and .30 out and they kept on running.after 4 rounds I went back to 375 for bait animals and didn't use my 06 rest of trip because Swifts were all I had. My only experiment with Swifts ever. I use Partitions almost exclusively. It taught me not to fool with a good thing. I really DON'T experiment with bullets and loads,find a good one and use it.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Swifts are too tough for impala, but Partitions reign.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19316 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
62.5 grains of H 4831Sc with a 200 grain partition will give you about 2850 fps plus....

and according to Nosler, it is not overpressure specs according to their test results..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I used 200 grain Partitions on my first Safari and have never regreted that choice.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 220 grain Nosler Partition worked perfectly for me on Plains Game. One shot kills, what is better? And the load was a hoary recommendation from the old Lyman manual, and my .30-06 loves it!

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote