THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Rifle Pairs you own and enjoy...?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle Pairs you own and enjoy...?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite pairs are FN commercial Mausers in 7x57 and .338 WM.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by Jpat:
I don't have pairs exactly.
'94, '96, '98 action Swedes, From 6.5x55 to 9.3x57, no two are alike though.

Yeh, but I'll bet you could find a nice pair of Mausers in there that pretty much all of us would want to keep...and would keep us safe and well fed, too.!

That they will. My problem child is a 1962 Husqvarna 1600 in 6.5x55, she is a small ring '98 action. It just refuses to feed 140gr sp well. It's hanging up somewhere. The bullet that is. I've thought about polishing the ramp, but I'm not sure that would help. They seem to catch the edge of the chamber. I love the rifle, it does shoot 160gr without issue, but....

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my Pre64 M 70's, in 270 and 338. Almost identical trajectories out past 300 yrds.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without question my two Walther Model B Mausers, 7x57 and 8x57. My picture posting site is banned from access here so I cannot post photos. Two really fine rifles, slim and light. I picked them up while living in Alberta within a month of one another.

Posts: 1573 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AC,

I would have to keep the 700's as they both usually get used every year.

My Brenneke's are for Africa someday, along with a 404 Jeffery still in process.

I also have a Model 70 Classic in 270. A 338-06 is currently being built in the same action.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
When is a pair not a pair? When they are a M700 in -06 and P64 M70 in 375. Both were built by the same smith with the same stock dimensions so other than an extra pound in the 375, you can't tell the difference in the feel. I do have to change the safety on the M700 someday tho.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boxhead:
Without question my two Walther Model B Mausers, 7x57 and 8x57. My picture posting site is banned from access here so I cannot post photos. Two really fine rifles, slim and light. I picked them up while living in Alberta within a month of one another.

That wouldn't by any chance have been in 1972-'76 would it? That was when I was selling off my collection of Mauser A's and B's.....I must tell you, I miss them all. All were very pleasant guns both to the eye and as to how they performed.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
When is a pair not a pair? When they are a M700 in -06 and P64 M70 in 375. Both were built by the same smith with the same stock dimensions so other than an extra pound in the 375, you can't tell the difference in the feel. I do have to change the safety on the M700 someday tho.

patriot I think they ARE a pair....you have had them made so by your restocking. Two modern bolt-action centerfire American-made rifles custom-modified to identically fit their owner. How could that NOT be a pair?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My problem child is a 1962 Husqvarna 1600 in 6.5x55, she is a small ring '98 action. It just refuses to feed 140gr sp well. It's hanging up somewhere. The bullet that is. I've thought about polishing the ramp, but I'm not sure that would help. They seem to catch the edge of the chamber. I love the rifle, it does shoot 160gr without issue, but....

Interesting....it must have something to do with the way the bullet rides the feed ramp and changes the angle of the cartridge during feeding with that particular chambering.

I had a M96 Swede Mauser carbine and now have a late Carl Gustaff sporter, both of which behave exactly like that. I haven't tried any pure 140's, but sure do get the same result with 139 gr. Sierras....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not exactly the all around rifles you are looking for, but my two falling block Winchesters are used as a pair. The high wall in .219 Zipper improved handles the longer ranges, while my .17HRM low wall takes care of the close in animals. This while shooting ground squirrels. Think it's cool to hunt with a pair made 101 years apart. The high wall left Winchester in 1902, while the low wall was built by Miroku in 2003.

Posts: 126 | Location: nothern ca | Registered: 29 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Husqvarna FN mausers in 8x57 & 9.3x62
CZ 550's in 30 06 & 9.3x62

Posts: 88 | Location: Prince Rupert BC | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
My nice pair I just love are the 1903 mannlicher Schoenauer 6.5X54MS & 1910 MS in 9.5X57MS (I sold another 1903 sporter last year). I also like my Tikka LSA 55 222Rem and I used to have a M55 in 308 which I sold.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am slowly downsizing my collection and now have it to 35 rifles, with 31 being big game rifles and many of these are in matched pairs by design. I do not have real favourites, but, if limited to one pair only for western and northern Canadian hunting, all that interests me, I would choose one of my pairs of .338WM rifles, four of these are Pre-84 Mod. 70s and the last pair is a Dakota 76 in a Hill Country Micky stock and a Classic sts Mod. 70 in a Micky Fwt. handle.

If, I was feeling really "traditional", I might go with my original Brno ZG-47 factory chambered in 9.3x62 and my Type B also a 9.3x62, both wearing good scopes and good irons.

For deer only, I have a pair of "roundbolt" 22H Brnos rechambered from 7x57 to .280 and a pair of P-64 Fwts. in .270, that wear highend carbon fiber handles and weigh just over 7 lbs. all up, any of these or other similar pairs would work.

I have sold everything "rifle" except bolt actions and my drilling and o/u combo gun, as these work best for me. I often wish I had the willpower to sell all but four big game rifles, but.............not bloody likely in this life!

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L. Rivard:
Not exactly the all around rifles you are looking for, but my two falling block Winchesters are used as a pair.

Ooh contraire, Mssr!!

Was just interested in which pairs YOU GUYS would keep, and why. They have no need to be for any use I might have for mine...they are YOUR rifles and YOUR uses. Hopefully, I would not be so arrogant as to criticize either the rifles or the use you want them for.

Your pair sounds as logical as any to me. And as I know they are both nice guns in the field, both sound great to me.

Thanks for responding.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
My nice pair I just love are the 1903 mannlicher Schoenauer 6.5X54MS & 1910 MS in 9.5X57MS .

I used to have a pair like that! The M1910 M/S carbine in that chambering (which the Brits call .375 N.E. Rimless, and is how mine was stamped) is one of my favourite guns.

A friend in Saskatoon just simply had to have mine for his young son, so after a lot of "no's" I finally relented and off to "Saskaboosh" it went, in about 1974.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dewey - Glad you chimed in! You have a lot of very nice rifles, but now that you are here, like a prize butterfly, I have to pin you to the piece of carpet under the viewing glass and ask...So which ONE specific pair would you ultimately keep if forced to choose (God forbid)? fishing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dopeydave:

Dave - (You can't be "Dopey" with a "pair of pairs" like that...)

So which pair would you keep, the FNs or the CZ 550s...and most interesting to me, why that pair?

One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
Alberta, your having fun now! 139gr surplus feed smooth as glass. My Military Swedes feed them fine! (140's)
'96 vs small ring '98?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dopeydave:

Dave - (You can't be "Dopey" with a "pair of pairs" like that...)

So which pair would you keep, the FNs or the CZ 550s...and most interesting to me, why that pair?

I would have to say I would keep the CZ's , mostly personal preference issues ( accuracy, set trigger, scope mounting etc.)

Posts: 88 | Location: Prince Rupert BC | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I had to give all my rifles except one pair, I would keep my two custom Model 70 Winchester .358 STA'S. A close second would be my two Model 70 Featherweight Deluxes in .270 WSM. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2349 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dewey - Glad you chimed in! You have a lot of very nice rifles, but now that you are here, like a prize butterfly, I have to pin you to the piece of carpet under the viewing fishingglass and ask...So which ONE specific pair would you ultimately keep if forced to choose (God forbid)? fishing

I guess it would be my first P-64 Alaskan in .338WM, now in it's third synthetic stock. I bought this for $200.00 unfired from a retired dealer in my home town and can recall it displayed in his window when I was 14 and used to gaze longingly in the gunstore windows on my way to cadets.

This, is a very smooth and well fitted Mod. 70 and is very accurate with my load of the 250 NP over 76-RE-22 in WW cases. I treasure this rifle and will never willingly part with it.

I would keep my Dakota .338 as a spare to it and could do it all here with these, but, while I am trying to quit, I am a severely afflicted gunaholic and would have 100s of fine pieces if I had the coin.......we all have some of that or we would not be here on AR...... Smiler

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alberta, your having fun now! 139gr surplus feed smooth as glass. My Military Swedes feed them fine! (140's)
'96 vs small ring '98?

Hi, Jpat - your post above has me a bit confused. Are you saying that your 6.5x55 won't feed commercial 140s, but feeds 139 gr. military rounds smoothly?

I was saying that both my 6/5x55s (one past, one present) feed 156 and 160 gr. RNs slick as silk, but both jam consisenly with 139 commercial bullets.....why I have no idea.

One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
Yes, 139gr surplus is smooth as silk, but Commercial SP bullets are a PITA. My Surplus rifles feed the 140gr fine, it is my 1600 small ring '98 that is the issue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My pair are BSA 5 star Majestics in .222 Remington and .308 Win. They are about 45 years old but still shoot accurately and cover all that I'm likely to shoot in New Zealand. The BSA Majestics are sort after and collected here, mainly because they weigh 6.25 lbs and are very well made.
Many fellow hunters who know what they are want to buy them, but they aint for sale. Big Grin
I have used the 222 to take deer but it's mainly used for pest control these days.
The Sika stag I shot with a Texas heart shot two weeks ago with the 308 might have gotten away with the 222.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite pair are 1903 Springfields in 338-06 and 6.5-06, with Shielen barrels, Timney triggers, Leupold scopes, and matching fancy English walnut stocks.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well a few years ago I set out to build a .257 Roberts on a 96 action and a 9.3x62 on a 98 action. Did them both with Gentry 3 position safeties and Timney triggers, Warne rings, featherweight barrels. I had hoped to stock them both in similar wood and checkering but my project has stalled with one in wood and the other in synthetic (I'm working on the wood replacement now).
I feel like they are a useful combination.
I also have a 6.5x55 96 Mauser done with a similay safety and stock to my 9.3.

I love hearing about all these pairs.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A pair of Brno 21H in 7x64 and 8x57IS are my current favourites.

I also have a pair of Sako Foresters in .308 and .243,

and a pair of Anschutz fullstock carbines in .22 Hornet and .22 LR.

And a pair of Ruger #1A in 7x57 and 45-70

And a Marlin 1894 45-70 and it's close match the 39 Mountie in .22LR ( does that count?)

and a couple of Sauer drillings in 16x16/8x57IR and 16x16/8x57IRS, (but I'm selling the newer one).

Posts: 234 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longwalker:

And a Marlin 1894 45-70 and it's close match the 39 Mountie in .22LR ( does that count?)

Of course it does. And a pretty good pair it is for covering all the bases, too.

But I gather that is not the pair you would keep if you could have only one pair... coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Well a few years ago I set out to build a .257 Roberts on a 96 action and a 9.3x62 on a 98 action. Did them both with Gentry 3 position safeties and Timney triggers, Warne rings, featherweight barrels. I had hoped to stock them both in similar wood and checkering but my project has stalled with one in wood and the other in synthetic (I'm working on the wood replacement now).
I feel like they are a useful combination.
I also have a 6.5x55 96 Mauser done with a similay safety and stock to my 9.3.

I love hearing about all these pairs.

Sounds as if you have a really nice pair there (the .257 7 9.3), and that they are a work in progress to being even nicer.

To me they seem about as useful a combo as a guy could wish for, for North America...especially as you have them rigged out. I'd think they could really keep a hunter happy even if he could have nothing else.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Barstooler:
My favorite pair are 1903 Springfields in 338-06 and 6.5-06, with Shielen barrels, Timney triggers, Leupold scopes, and matching fancy English walnut stocks.

Barstooler

Way to go! A pair of custom Springfield wildcats which would have made every one in the late '50s, early '60s, drool....and would still do that to a lot of us today.

Hair on 'ya!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldun:
My pair are BSA 5 star Majestics in .222 Remington and .308 Win. They are about 45 years old but still shoot accurately and cover all that I'm likely to shoot in New Zealand. The BSA Majestics are sort after and collected here, mainly because they weigh 6.25 lbs and are very well made.
Many fellow hunters who know what they are want to buy them, but they aint for sale. Big Grin
I have used the 222 to take deer but it's mainly used for pest control these days.
The Sika stag I shot with a Texas heart shot two weeks ago with the 308 might have gotten away with the 222.

Real nice, and RELIABLE, guns. I used to have a somewhat similar pair of Majestics, in .22 Hornet and 7x57, both of which I bought at auctions in old Blighty, for around 40 Guineas each...including shipping, customs duty, and entry taxes into Canada.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They may not be an exact pair, but my Weatherby Vanguard in .30-06 and Weatherby Mk V in .340 Weatherby Mag seem to cover the bases.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote