Find
Notify
Tools

7X57
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
putting loads together for a 7x57,
Its a pretty cool ol mauser 98 The action is a Military FN 98, and it has a Commercial Barrel of unknown make, 24 inches long.
The 2 Rifles i have owned before Chambered for this round were a Ruger #1 single shot, and a CZ 550 Full stock.
One thing i already love about this rifle is how smooth the rounds slide into the chamber. The CZ was very accurate, But the 550 action has never been known to be real smooth.
I just put 10 rounds together with a 140 grain sierra seated well out, over H-414. plan on 10 more of the same load with a 140gr Balistic tip.
I sure hope they shoot well cause this little rifle has a charm i can't explain. If not i will go to 150gr bullets.
I added the case length and the Bullet length together then subtracted the overall cartridge length and i only have bullet .205 in the case, but i tugged on the bullet and it did not move.
I think its good,

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Cool round. I have a 7x57 Zastava LKM70 Full Stock Carbine with a 20" barrel. I load 175gr SBT Sierra GameKing's at 2600 fps muzzle speed with very good accuracy. Fairly long throated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope it works for you. I love my 7x57 mauser.

I use the Sierra 140 or Hornady 139 gr flat based bullets seated one bullet diameter deep over 49.5 grs H4350. Pleasant and accurate.

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a box of the Hornady bullets too. The Hornady page says H 414 up to 130 grain and H 4350 from 140 up. But I have done well with H 414 in the 7x57 as well as the .257 Roberts. So I have 2 and a half cans on hand. I hope the rifle likes it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load H-414 and the Nosler Partition.

It did a job on 3 hogs this last weekend,all hit in the shield,just for fun.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I use IMR 4350. In my last one in AI on MK X action it liked the 160G. best. The one I have now,a tang safety M77 likes the 175G. best.I use the 4350 in my 257 Bob AI as well.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot H414 with purty hot loads..I also like RL-19 about as well, My 7x57 is long throated to fit a 30-06 box..I seat bullet at .284 depth, one caliber deep..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41893 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I built one on a VZ-24 action. Double set triggers, 24" sporter bbl from Numrich that shoots great and a classic stock. It is one of my favorite rifles. Such a great classic round and todays plethora of 7mm bullets is fantastic.

My go to deer load is 145 gn speer BTSP and 47 gns W-760 @ 2860 fs. Potent, flat shooting and you can shoot it all day long. What more can you ask for from a cartridge? Cool

I used to use that 145 Speer from my 7mm Mag and had nothing but excellent results with it on Mulies. Speer claims it has a .502 BC. Not too shabby for a 145 gn sp. I love the accuracy you get with polymer tipped bullets, but I prefer sp's for deer.

Posts: 10145 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do like speer bullets, the 150 grain hot core is great in .308s

one of us
posted Hide Post
That 145 gr. Speer BTSP is one of my favorite deer bullets in the 7x57 along with the 130 gr BT or FB Speer, both are deadly on whitetail and Mule Deer and I wouldn't hesitate to punch one of those 145 gr. Speers in an elk..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41893 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
Got two 7x57 rifles. First is a Ruger 1a I found about ten years ago at a gun show. A red pad model that looked horrible, the wood finish was totally clouded with large spots missing. Metal was fine. It looked like the wood had gotten wet and the put up and sat in the hot sun for years. A lot of careful scraping and refinishing revealed a far better than average piece of wood. Second I got a couple of months ago at again a gun show. A Mexican Mauser action with an E R Shaw barrel, and a drop dead georgous stock Chocolate brown with black streaks and swirls end to end. It had a full length rail scope mount that I did not like so had my gunsmith swap it out for a set of Talley bases and qd mounts. It turned that whoever did the drill and tap did not align the front and rear holes so there was simply not enough adjustment in the scope. We talked about filling the holes, re d&t the rear ring but he wanted to look at it and study it for a while. A few days later he called for me to come down. He had re radiused the bottome of that rear base so it tilted back over not 100% perfect alighnment but enough he thought I could zero it. I went a step further and picked up a set of Burris Signature rings an as set of their eccentric polymer inserts, and remounted the scope in them. I then set outside with the completed rifle in my front tripod rest and rear bags and used a neighbors mailbox about 150 yards away with a laser boresighter and got it on A week or so later at the range using some of the cheap PMP(I think) it took me about 5 shots to get a perfet zero.

I like the little 7x57, very pleasant for an old man to shoot, similar to my 6.5x55 Swedes.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Few years ago a guy GAVE me a Mauser 93 in 7 x 57 Was NOT a collector. Somebody had bubba-d the bolt handle and some of the stock. Friend [who does these pages] told me that it would make a decent deer rifle with some work. So with lots of advice and time on my hands, I did it. Added a Shaw barrel, Boyd trigger & stock and when it got looking decent, had Ahlmann"s redo the bolt handle and Gun-Kote it in flat black. I put a Redfield 2 . 7 scope on it in a Leupold 1-piece base + rings. Have pushed some 300 rounds thru it by now.... the barrel is probably broken in.
Found that it shot 140 gr Sierra flatbase bullets pretty well. 150 gr Winchester stuff pushed by IMR 4320 even better. Partitions pushed by IMR4350 did not group well, so I tried the Partitions with the 4320. With a little tinkering the Partitions will do about 1 MOA with that powder. That load Chronied at about 2500+ fps. None of my loads are hot. Recently was given several dozen 165 gr round nose Remington bullets. they group well, too.
I hunt in an area where shots much past 100 yards are rare, so these loads are fine. Recently a buck made a mistake and paid the price.
IMHO the 7x57 is fine medium sized cartridge. Way underrated. Easy to shoot and reload. probably some people avoid it because it has a metric caliber. In a modern rifle it can be reload up to about 270 Win numbers.
Not surprised that others like this cartridge.

Posts: 68 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 16 July 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody that has actually used it on game likes it a bunch!! It works on deer, elk, bear and I wouldn't hesitate to use on DG in a pinch and btw I have on a few occasions..I even witnessed a PH shoot an elephant in the heart with one and a 175 gr. solid...Elephant ran a 100 or so yards and died leaving a big time blood trail..About what happens when you shoot one with a 458 or 505, whatever shocker More than one PH shot their first elephant in their youth with a 7x57 Milsurp Mauser Ive been told more than once, Either that or a 30-06 it seems.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Here a nice little 7x57 I built some years ago for a customer on an intermediate Brazilian action. A nice, lightweight, open sight only rifle. Pic is prior to checkering.

It is reportedly a superb shooter:

My own is not as nice looking but I decide I wanted to hunt with a 7x57 one year and using parts I had lying around, I assembled one. I load 120 rain BT's over a goodly amount of RL15 and it is very accurate. I used a standard chamber reamer. It's first outing it accounted for a nice 6 pt Whitetail and two TX hogs. All were DRT's.

And of course my Type "S".

[/URL]

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote