THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Good medium bore for european hunting

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good medium bore for european hunting
 Login/Join

posted
Hi gentlemen

Any suggestions for a good medium bore for (all) european game...incl longrange performance.. I am thinking of a Ruger no1 project....

// voyager

Posts: 45 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe an 8 x 68 ?

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A .30-06 will cleanly take any European game, from roe to big stag. It also shoots amazingly flat - even though the numbers may not look so impressive. If hunting in France or other European countries where military cartridges are a problem, a 7x64 is the natural alternative.

If you can handle the recoil, there are certainly no flies on the 8x68 or catridges like the .300 Win Mag. Calibers in this range would also do very well as all-around European cartridges. But they'd be more of a compromise on roe.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Hi,
In a Ruger No 1 -Why not:

7x57R
7x65R
8x57JRS
9,3x65R Brennecke
9,3x74R

/Husky

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3x62 is about as Euro as it gets isn't it Confused

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen

Thanks alot for your comments.

I have used my friends 375hh once and found the recoil tolerable, not a problem.
What about the calibers such as 8x68, 8x57jrs, 9,3x 62 and so on...recoils!!

What about components for reloading, dies, brass, etc??

//voyager

Posts: 45 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by voyager:
Gentlemen
What about the calibers such as 8x68, 8x57jrs, 9,3x 62 and so on...recoils!!

What about components for reloading, dies, brass, etc??

//voyager

Of the calibers you mentioned above, the 8x57i(r)s is easily the lightest recoiler. The 9.3x62 is noticeable, and the 8x68 is akin to a .300 Wby. Not pleasant, but manageable.

If you are looking for the best deal on prices and avilability of components, dies etc, get the most "boring" standard cartridge you can find. The more standard your cartridge is, the easier it is to find the best components, in the best selection at the best price. For that reason alone, I like standard cartridges like .308 and .30-06.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote