New
Find
Notify
Tools

carbon barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How good are the diffrent carbon barrels out there?Will the hold their own when compared to hart,kreiger and the likes?How much weight do you really save?I am building a light weight,highly accurate mountain rifle and was thinking of using one.What do you all think of them and which are the best?

Posts: 131 | Location: Tacoma Wa. | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are considerably lighter and I have seen some shoot well but I prefer my rifles to be slightly muzzle heavy.Rifles with these barrels balance much differently than I like.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stubblejumper what carbon rifles have you shot?What kind of accuracy do you think they have?I will be using a Nesika Bay action with a Brown Precision stock.Is good accuracy the norm as it is with some of the better barrels?

Posts: 131 | Location: Tacoma Wa. | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
<FarRight>
posted
They may be pricey but if you are seriously interested in this concept you should check out the Magnum Research rifles. They are pretty nice... Sako actions on an HS stock with an MRI made carbon fiber barrel.

www.magnumresearch.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have installed several carbon fiber barrels and have a 300 Wea that I just completed, it is being shipped next week. There is a distinct difference in the manufacturing techniques of the various carbon fiber barrels and the resulting shooting capabiities. If you need more info send me an email. I wrote an article on the Magnum barrels that was in Precision Shooting about 3 years ago.

------------------
Currently in Exile on the Beautiful Olympic Peninsula of Washington State.

Email Address is rifles@earthlink.net

Web site http://home.earthlink.net/~rifles/

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elim-I have not shot one myself but I watched a fellow shoot a factory remington in 22-250 with very good groups resulting.I have also seen a few groups fired by another factory remington which were also quite impressive.I did handle one rifle though and did not like the balance of the light barrel.

[This message has been edited by stubblejumper (edited 04-21-2002).]

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<confused>
posted
elim,

I currently have a the composite barrel 22-250 that remington offerred last year or the year before. Anyways its a tack driver at 100 with factory winchester ammo. I have taken some crows at 300+m with this gun. The next gun i build will have a steel barrel though.