THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    30 WSM, anybody working with this cartridge?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30 WSM, anybody working with this cartridge?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted
Armalite is making an upper reciever for their AR10.
How does this cartridge compare with the 30-06 and the 300 Win mag?
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I been hunting with a 300 WSM for the last two years. A 180 gr .30 cal bullet going 3,000 fps. Just like a 300 H+H. Will to the same thing with a well placed 180 gr bullet as it would with a .30-06 ,300 Winchester and what have you. I sort of like it. When I bought mine, it was the First .30 Cal rifle I had bought since 1978. I was more of a 270/7mm guy back then then later on I started shooting a 338 Win for most of my hunting with a 6.5 x 55 for the White Tails when I lived in Connecticut. I didn't know you can get an AR-10 in one, I don't know why one would but I guess it would have its uses. I would like to know how they shoot. Might make a good rain gun.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
George
Thank you for your input.
What I'm thinking with the 30 WSM is this would make a good way out yonder cartridge in the AR10. I could the same lower with the 308 Win for 100 to 500 meters, just change to upper to 30 WSM for 500 to 1,000 meters. I'd effectly have a switch barrel gun.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Hey arkypete. I know nothing about the AR10, so, excuse my ignorance in advance, but, will its bolt handle the 300 WSM's (I'm guessing you're talking about the 300, right?) larger case head?

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
R-West
The AR10 is the big brother to the M-16/Ar15 rifles except it's built to fit the 7.62/308 round.
Armalite is building the upper reciever, machining the bolt and making 5 round mags for it.
Jim