THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Ideas for a build project. Will Post pics as progress...

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ideas for a build project. Will Post pics as progress...
 Login/Join

posted
O.k. I posted on the smith forum about building a 338 Lapua. I will ultimately have the Lapua but have decided that i would like to ask some questions about calibers/guns. I would like to have something that is fun to shoot, light on recoil, but will handle the wind.

Heres the calibers that come to mind:

7 mag
300 mag

I know that they are all excellent hunting rounds. I will be using this round primarily to shoot milk jugs out to 600 yrds. Possibly take it PD shooting or stationary doe hunting in N.E. Missouri. I am not wanting a light gun it will be a heavy varmit profile gun. I am not a huge advocate of using Muzzlebreaks but will most likely use one on the later of the two if chosen, due to the amount of time shooting for fun. I have always ready the bigger and hotter the round the less life the barrel has. As far as flight and trajectory I believe that the 7 and 300 are pretty close too the same. What about the barrel life between the two? I know I want the 700 action with an HS or Mcmillan stock. Does anyone have any suggestions and if they do can you explain what you go with and why. Thanks again...

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Given what you have written, I would go with the .308 Winchester for the following reasons:

1) Accurate out to 1000 yards, witness Palma rifles.

2) Relatively low Recoil in a reasonable weight rifle.

3) Relatively cheap to reload for, and lots of excellent bullets available.

4) Less noise and muzzle blast.

5) Comparatively easy to build on a Model 700 action.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6 mm anything, a Br or a XC,

a 6,5 anything, x47 Lapua if you are modern, a 260 rem if you are modest or a 6,5x55 if you like long actions.

All of the above are allright for your intended purposes.

/C