Find
Notify
Tools

.277 165g Accubond LR bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
Anyone using them? In what rifle? Opinions?

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

ACBLR in general is very frangible. I don't think they make for a good all around bullet.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark! I think I'll stick with my tried and true 150g partitions in my 270s. I like A-Frames for everything else.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Anyone using them? In what rifle? Opinions?

Chuck,

I use the 175 ABLR in my 7mm Rem Mag. Velocity just short of 3000fps

Biggest animal I’ve taken was a Mtn Nyala at about 120yards. Smallest was a grey duiker.

I’ve not found these bullets soft or frangible. In fact I’ve found them quite strong and hold together very well. They mushroomed perfectly and maybe a very tiny amount of copper broke off. They are good bullets.

Posts: 389 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks I've a Mark V in 270 Weatherby Magnum I picked up used, very good deal. I'm thinking of having it rebarreled with a premium 1 in 8" twist barrel The issue is to find a good hunting bullet that would require the faster twist. It shoots fine now with 150g partitions at 3250 fps. Approx .5 MOA out to 800 yards. I never shoot anything past 400 yards these days. Probably should leave it alone lol.

Regards,

Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Probably should leave it alone lol.

That is a a very good idea.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No flies on the 270 Wby at all just the way it sits.

With that said, I've been migrating toward heavy (long) for caliber bullets because of their BC (wind and trajectory) properties.

If you're saying 400 is your range limit, it's a moot point and about any bullet weight will work.

I've used the 210 LR AB's in a 300 RUM on several elk. Most notably a couple big 6pt bulls under 60 yards. Both went right down. one bullet passed through and the other was under the far hide. Seems good enough. So much for needing a LR rig for those two bulls! haha

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Thanks I've a Mark V in 270 Weatherby Magnum I picked up used, very good deal. I'm thinking of having it rebarreled with a premium 1 in 8" twist barrel The issue is to find a good hunting bullet that would require the faster twist. It shoots fine now with 150g partitions at 3250 fps. Approx .5 MOA out to 800 yards. I never shoot anything past 400 yards these days. Probably should leave it alone lol.

I would say just do it!

Is there any load data for the Weatherby 270 with these new heavier bullets?

Posts: 389 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot .270 WSM's and use 160 grain Nosler Partitions for larger game such a Elk. I can load it up to 3200 fps and have confidence the bullet will perform when it gets there. You might look at them. Good Shooting

wsm

phurley

Posts: 2349 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Regards,

Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
nix on the LR, folks go hunting and use them due to a lot of BS, then they blow up on contact at 100 to 200 yards where most game is taken.There is no better bullet than the standard Accubond or partition, some as good but none better..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:

I've used the 210 LR AB's in a 300 RUM on several elk. Most notably a couple big 6pt bulls under 60 yards. Both went right down. one bullet passed through and the other was under the far hide. Seems good enough. So much for needing a LR rig for those two bulls! haha Zeke

Very true!

Every year, I prepare myself for the 500yd shot, and, since, my first big game hunt in 1970, I have shot at 2 (two) big game animals over 300yds, one elk (417yds) and one antelope (350+/-).

And with my trusty 270Win, using 130gr Partitions in the early years, then switching to Barnes in 1992.

Everything has been shot at 250 or less.

But I am prepared!

one of us
posted Hide Post
With the modern technology all these new bullets work on deer for instance but even for larger animals yet today's hunter and experts are still playing the old bullet failure game. I guess they just ran out of something to write about.. Even the cup and core bullets perform as advertised. They even glued the corelokts lead to the jacket, why I don't know, must be a sales gimmick dancing

BTW those old soft Sierras , know for failure, are now a damn good big game bullet..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, apparently unlike some of the posters, I have actually taken game with the 165 ablr loaded in 6.8
Western. Shot several hogs this summer including a couple of good sized boar which are tough on bullets. The bullets performed excellently - doing a lot of damage and penetrating through. A cup and core,
In particular does not usually make it through both shoulders of a big boar and these bullets did. I did not recover any but they are going to shed a bit more weight than a normal accubond but are bonded and have a thick jacket/base. So as the “long range” bullets go these work well at close range as well in my experience

Lou

Posts: 333 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: 15 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lou270:
Well, apparently unlike some of the posters, I have actually taken game with the 165 ablr loaded in 6.8
Western. Shot several hogs this summer including a couple of good sized boar which are tough on bullets. The bullets performed excellently - doing a lot of damage and penetrating through. A cup and core,
In particular does not usually make it through both shoulders of a big boar and these bullets did. I did not recover any but they are going to shed a bit more weight than a normal accubond but are bonded and have a thick jacket/base. So as the “long range” bullets go these work well at close range as well in my experience

Lou

Hahaha, that is what the OP asked, isn't it?

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Yes! Appreciate it.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friend gave me a dozen of the 165gr ABLR to try out in my 270 WSM with the 1:8 twist barrel. They shot ok, but the 170gr Berger and the 175gr Sierra's shot better. I have a great load with the Berger. I haven't had a chance to shoot a deer with it yet but the few Coyote that I hit with them really didn't care for the bullet.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
drawing a conclusion from "a few deer and a few elk" doesn't tell us much as one can see by reading all the conflicting posts. Corelokts, power points, Nosler partitions have a background of success, as do others like TWX and the regular Accubonds are making a play for first place at least with me.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They even glued the corelokts lead to the jacket, why I don't know, must be a sales gimmick

it's because they changed the jacket to a much easier to make straight sided one.
[coughcheapercough]
the old one had a kind of figure-8 design inside it to lock the core in place.
the canelure also helped since it was just above the extra jacket thickness.

the new one is tipped and bonded, three times the cost,, and almost as good.

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat the old corlokts, never had one fail and used a lot of them, same for the Win Power Point, I suspect the new corelokts are a good bullet as well, most, if not all, the bonded core bullets work as advertised..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120