Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta MAto
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted
I have seen a few of these around recently for pretty cheap and wondered what the general consensus was? There were made by dakota, were they not, but it seems there were a few differences that made them not very desirable in the long run.

Please opine.

Thanks, BAxter

one of us
posted Hide Post
They were nice rifles. Some had Dakota made receivers- most were made by someone else on the same pattern. Galyan's closed them out for $499 about 5 years ago. I had one in 7Mag. I sold it for $800. It shot well, but was too heavy for a 7 Mag. The biggest negative for me was the detavhable mag. It looked like a floorplate and functioned well, but I don't care for detachable mags. I wish that I had bought a .338. I would have probably kept it.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I had one in a .270Win and thought mine was heavy too. The funny thing about this rifle is it kicked a lot harder than a .270 should. Mine never shot good so it went to the gun show and was traded for.....I can't remember. Cool

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
I have one in 280. Had to bed the action and free float the barrel, went from 3" to 3/4" and I'm still working on the load.

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one in .30-06 that I bought used. It is built on the Dakota 97 action and had been worked over by the previous owner. I have only shot it at the range, but my son has used it as his primary deer rifle for the last two years. It shoots most ammo into about 1" groups; but load 165 grain TBBCs and it magically becomes a 1/2" grouper.

TreeFarmer
NRA Life Member

Moderation in the pursuit of decadence is no virture.

Posts: 262 | Location: PA & VA, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I have one in 338 win mag and 300 win mag. IMO, they make a perfect rifle for a 338 win mag (controlled round feed, 3 position safety, straight line stock, heavy barrel). They are built on a Dakota action with a Lothar Walthar barrel, HS Precision stock and Shilen trigger. They are very well put together and have a magazine long enough for any bullet you choose, even in the 300 win mag.

I bought both of mine for $800.00 and it seems like lately the only ones I have seen on Gunbroker have been going for over $1000.00.

The 300 win mag is one of my most consistant rifles

The 338 win mag is not as consistant but shoots brilliantly sometimes

You say you've seen some pretty cheap somewhere? Wouldn't want to clue me in, would you?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
an 06 for 550$, I;d say thats a good deal given the feedback...

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
If you decide to pass it up, PM me with where it is, will ya!

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although not a synthetic stock fan, I have always loved these rifles and still kick myself for not having the $$ to buy one when they were being blown out. Their lines are classy, materials look top notch, and the ones I fondled at Cabela's handled nice for my frame.

Maybe some day.

TG

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote