THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Has Remington conceded? WSM vs. SAUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has Remington conceded? WSM vs. SAUM
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
Has Remington finally given up?

This might be old news to many of you, but I was surprised to see that Remington was offering WSM chamberings in their new XCR Model 700 rifles instead of SAUM.

http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700xcr.htm

I've heard the WSM won't feed in Remingon's Model 7 action, but do you still think this might spell the end of the Short Action Ultra Mag.?

-Kenati

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only reason it would spell the end of the SAUM's is because the WSM crowd jumped on the WSM's first and didn't try the SAUM's!!!! Remington tore themselves a new one by not releasing the SAUM's first instead of the behemoth RUM's!!!! And the sad fact is that the R&D was done on the SAUM's and they could have been first out of the gate!!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of br6ppc1
posted Hide Post
I own a 270 WSM and a 300 WSM. I don't see that much of a difference between the WSM's and the SAUM's in the real world. Remington just let Winchester beat them to the punch. I don't think it's over for the SAUM's yet. Remington is just trying to capitalize in the popularity of the WSM'S. I just wish Remington would bring out a 25 SAUM, because it looks like Winchester has closed the door on the idea of a 257 WSM. It would be nice if Remington would bring forth the 25 SAUM and use it to introduce the SAUMs to the M700 lineup again. By the way, if you are listening Remington, please have at least a 24 in. barrel on the 25 SAUM. 26 in. would be nice too.

Posts: 92 | Location: Eastman, GA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I'll second the .25 SAUM idea! I love my quarter-bores and could see me getting another if this were available. After all, I have sons to outfit! Wink Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Rem. should bring out a .338SAUM, (.323WSM, come on!). I would really like a M700 Mnt. (no DM please) in .338SAUM thumb.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington releases and views its cartridges as rifle specific, so the SAUMs came out in the Model 7s. Winchester introduces its cartridges across its (and Brownings) product range and the consumer can pick and choose their poison. Because of this, Remington dooms its cartridges to early retirement.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think had Rem come out with the SAUM in a 700 instead of the model 7 thing might of been different and by the time they corrected it just too late. just my .02

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
br6ppc, Touche' to what you wrote!! A 25 caliber cartridge based on either the SAUM or the WSM would be a winner!!! The SAUM's lend themselves more to "improving" or changing than the WSM's do but the intro of the 25 WSSM was a stupid marketing snafu!!! What does it offer over available 25's?......NOTHING!!!! And for that matter the 223WSSM and the 243WSSM???? Burn a barrel out a little quicker!!!!??? I think the WSSM's have about shot their wad so to speak! Attended an auction of a gunshop going out of business a couple weeks ago(auctions generally are "overbore" as far as prices go!!) and the Browning Varmint 223 WSSM sold for $500 and the 243WSSM sold for 525.00.......about 2/3 of what retail is!!! I've also done some range work with the WSSM's and although the speed is impressive, the barrel heat is "Oppressive"!!!
As far as the SAUM's and the WSM's are concerned......they've both been pretty decent as far as the speed goes!! Big Grin Big Grin Accurracy is what trips my trigger and both have been pleasantly surprising in the accurracy department!!! The other thing that has been a bit intriguing to me is the abiity of the SAUM's to stabilize light bullets, 110VMX's, 125TNT's, in the 30 caliber versions!!! Talk about a "varmint rifle from hell"!!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Precision shooting a month or so back had an article about building a 7SAUM for 1000yd benchrest. They concluded that the case capacity of the RSAUM made for a slight edge in the efficiency dept.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote