New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x66 Sako
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any info about this new medium bore being talked about by Sako?Reamer,dies or brass availability?

Australia
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

Posts: 302 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have only read about it. Not much seems available anywhere. The ballistics are on the Sako site. Looks to be 9.3x62 only longer.

Posts: 148 | Location: behind a cabbage plant on a hot August Day | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wombat ... I just recieved my new MidwayUSA catalog and they list a reamer for 9.3X66 Sako. Nothing on the dies, but a good smith can make you a set of dies from the reamer when he sets the barrel. As for brass, well, that's another story. Your best bet would be to use 375 Howell or Howell basic brass from AHR (American Hunting Rifles)(http://www.hunting-rifles.com/). Their brass is made by Bertram in Australia and is the 30-06 case with a length of 2.600 inches which equates to 65.7 mm ... real close.

Good luck

Posts: 70 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wombat,

You might want to check this recent thread 9.3x66 Reloading Components from the reloading forum.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Asked about the 9.3x66 at a sizable sporting goods store. The stores distributer answer the question about avaablity so they were refered to the Sako sales rep. the answer was that it is no longer produced.

Posts: 148 | Location: behind a cabbage plant on a hot August Day | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well..it is still being produced. Not sure about any big sales but as of last week it was still being made.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harry,
Any idea where guns & ammo are available?

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
In Canada. www.lebaron.ca.
Ammo is about $78CAD per box.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Q. What are the advantages of this cartridge over the 375 H&H?

Is it the better sectional density of bullets compared to the 375?
Is it the fact that it has no belt?
Is it the better B.C. of some of the bullets?
Or

Is it the increased magazine capacity? I assume you can get one more down than a 375 H&H????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the info.I will follow-up the leads that have been provided.What I hope to achieve is a light rifle(rechambered CZ 9.3x62) with 375 like power.I am not doing this as a cheap alternative -I have twenty+ other rifles including two 338's,a 378 Weatherby,a 416 CZ Rigby and have a Searcy 500 double due any day but the concept seems a very good one and should not be left to die on the vine.

Australia
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

Posts: 302 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Womb,
Why wouldn't you just ream to 9.3x64? Brass isn't everywhere for the x64 but it is easier to find then the x66 brass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CanadianLefty:
Q. What are the advantages of this cartridge over the 375 H&H?

Or

Is it the increased magazine capacity? I assume you can get one more down than a 375 H&H????

Sectional densities are basically the same. 285/286 gr .366" vs 300 gr .375"

Just my opinion, but that wouldn't be a factor for me.

Not enough differences that I would lose any sleep over.

I think of the 9.3x66 as really just an improved 9.3x62. (I have a CZ 550 in 9.3x62) The attraction to me would be a little more power than the 9.3x62 while still retaining the standard 8x57/.30-06 case head and rim diameter. It just appears to me to be a neat, compact cartridge that basically gets .375 H&H power out of a .30-06 sized case and action. The 9.3x66 Sako also gets close to 9.3x64 Brenneke power but without having to open the bolt face if doing a rebarreling. Rebarreling a spare .30-06, that one happens to have lying around, to 9.3x66 Sako should be relatively easy. (I'm not a gunsmith so I claim no expertise.) No big earth-shattering reasons, though, to have the 9.3x66 Sako over a 9.3x62 Mauser, a 9.3x64 Brenneke or a .375 H&H. Now, having said all of this, I have no plans to acquire a 9.3x66.

Just my two cents...
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BFaucett really sized this one up well. I have a good friend and major 9.3mm freak who has lusted after a 9.3x66 for years, but has been unable to acquire one, so he has settled back to building 9.3mm wildcats instead. All of them end up being ballistic twins of the 9.3x62 or 9.3x64mm.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote