THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Looking for caliber selection advice

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for caliber selection advice
 Login/Join

<Greywolf>
posted
Am very interested in purchasing a Tikka rifle, and have found some good deals on various calibers. But I'm having a hard time selecting a caliber.

My choices are:

6.5x55 (I have dies and components for this)

.308 (again, have dies and components)

.280 Remington (no dies or components)

.243 (no dies or components)

.270 (no dies or components)

I want to use this rifle mostly for target shooting, at ranges of between 100-500 yards. I might eventually want to hunt medium (deer) sized game with it.

Accuracy and light recoil are most important to me (and my wife).

Out of these calibers, which do you think would be my best choice?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your criteria:

Mostly target shooting 100-500 yards.
Eventually hunt deer size game.
Accuracy and light recoil are important.

Any of those you mention would be fine. The .270 and .280, while fine calibers and certainly not hard kickers, still might prove to have a bit more bark and recoil than you would want for target shooting where you would fire off many rounds in a sitting. The .243 would be fine and has the advantage of the lightest recoil of the bunch. Excellent match bullets are also available in .243.

But of those you list , the 6.5X55 and .308 fit the bill perfectly, plus you already have dies and components.

The .308 has a long history in this country as a target round and for good reason. Extremely accurate in a good rifle and recoil, while not in the .243 class, is nothing to worry about. Muzzle blast is not bad at all either as long as the barrel is 22" or more. The 6.5X55 has an even longer history as a target round in the Scandinavian countries. Recoil is even less depending on bullet weight.

Considering caliber size, bullet weight, velocity etc., etc., both are about as perfect for medium size game as one could hope for.

Of the two I'd go with the .308 mostly because of the very widespread availability of components from match bullets to good 'ol cheap blastin' ammo.

My opinion, but hope that gives you something to think about.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
The 6.5x55 and .308 are most likely to be the most accurate of the bunch. The 6.5x55 will be more pleasant to shoot than the .308 which is SAAMI loaded to very high pressures.

[ 10-19-2002, 19:58: Message edited by: leo ]

<BarryH>
posted
Greywolf,

Given those three requirements, and the fact that you reload. I think the 6.5x55 would be my choice.

I have owned a 308 for a long time, and would be a great choice. But it is a little too much for my wife. I am buying her a 6.5 or 260, before next hunting season.

Barry

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .308 would be the worst choice, go with the .270win.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Greywolf>
posted
Thanks, guys - now I just need to find that perfect rifle in 6.5x55 (or maybe .308) - have my eye on a Tikka, but can't seem to find a nice used one or new one at a good price in 6.5x55

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would opt for the 6.5x55

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
All good choices, but I would opt for the .308 if for no other reason than the huge amount of cheap surplus ammo for informal target shooting and practice.

At Natchez shooters supply, you can but 1000 rounds of surplus .308 for around $130.00.

MM

one of us
posted Hide Post
You've already decided, but I say 6.5x55mm as well due to many good experiences for accuracy and efficiency. It's really sexy, too. [Smile]

Posts: 169 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Pick the .243 Win as the key word in your facts is (wife). You want a rifle that she will warm up to and like. You can always get another rifle for yourself or her for that matter. But for now get one that will be fun on targets.

Also .243's make good varmint rifles.

<JOHAN>
posted
I would choose
280 rem or 270 win.
Easy to find components for relaoding and to very accurate and well suited rounds for this type of game
Good Luck

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I would choose the 270

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
<don>
posted
Like it has been said before, 243, 6.5,or 308. I'd lean on the 308 but if your wife hasn't shot much the 243 would be the way to go. I have a 280 and I love it but the kick would be more than most women want to shoot unless they have shot before and feel comfortable with the recoil.