THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    WEATHERBY "THREAT RESPONSE RIFLE"

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WEATHERBY "THREAT RESPONSE RIFLE"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
HI FOLKS,
HAS ANYONE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE( OR SAW AN ACTUAL SPECIMEN) WITH THIS LATEST ADDITION TO THE WEATHERBY STABLE? IT LOOKS GOOD AND THEY HAVE ALSO SEEMED TO SOLVE MANY SCOPE MOUNTING ISSUES WITH THEIR VERSION OF THE PICATINNY SYSTEM.

THIS RIFLE MIGHT BE THE ANSWER FOR LONG RANGE DEER/ELK/TARGET WORK WITH A FACTORY OFFERING.

THE QUESTION IS WHICH CALIBER. MY PICK WOULD PROBABLY BE THE TRIED AND TRUE .300 WIN MAG
OR GO WHOLE HOG FOR THE .338-378.

ANY THOUGHTS ON HOW THE TRR WOULD COMPARE TO THE ACCUMARK?

GOOD SHOOTING,
HBB

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<WRYFOX>
posted
Saw and held a TRR a couple of weeks ago, actually one that had been traded in..sample target was one small hole..probably 1/4" or so. It has a krieger criterion barrel so bore is like a mirror. It is a heavier rifle than itlooks, feels like 11-12lbs or could just be barrel heavy with the synth stock. I love the short throw weatherby action and love love love the trigger. Its all a great combo but they run around $1400 so the competition is FN SPR, SSG, PSS and the like. I couldn't justify the $ but if I had it burning in my pocket at the time I saw the TRR I probably would have paid it as an impulse. It looks, feels, and functions smooth as glass.

<WRYFOX>
posted
On comparison to the accumark.. the accumark is much lighter and because the barrel is lighter probably more load dependent, and my experience with one bears this out. The TRR heavy barrel contour could probably shoot any reasonable load well. The accumark action and trigger are the same as the TRR as far as I can tell. TRR stock is beefier and has larger palm swell..maybe not good for small hands. For a day of target shooting or hunting from a blind, the TRR would inspire more confidence for me. The accumark is more suited for carrying and stalking.