Find
Notify
Tools

Custom 9.3x64 Brenneke
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
says who?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try shooting four rounds with an unfiled bead with the sun to your right.

Using the same target try shooting with the sun to your left.

If you can shoot well enough you will find that with the sun to your right the center of your group will be to the left, and with the sun to your left the center of your group will be to the right.

File the bead to about a 30* angle off vertical and then polish the bead, making sure you keep the facet at a right angle to the bore(s). Using the same target repeat, shooting with the sun to your right and then with the sun to your left. You will find both of your new groups together, in the center of your two previous groups.

What you will have discovered is that your eye focuses on the brightest part of the bead, which when it is round is on the side the sun is on, and when it is flat is the entire bead regardless of the position of the sun. The bead will also appear larger and brighter after it is filed and polished.

I have done this, this is first hand information. Try it and learn if you won't take it as fact from me and others.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:

If you can shoot well enough you will find that with the sun to your right the center of your group will be to the left, and with the sun to your left the center of your group will be to the right.

File the bead to about a 30* angle off vertical and then polish the bead, making sure you keep the facet at a right angle to the bore(s). Using the same target repeat, shooting with the sun to your right and then with the sun to your left. You will find both of your new groups together, in the center of your two previous groups.

What you will have discovered is that your eye focuses on the brightest part of the bead, which when it is round is on the side the sun is on, and when it is flat is the entire bead regardless of the position of the sun. The bead will also appear larger and brighter after it is filed and polished.

I have done this, this is first hand information. Try it and learn if you won't take it as fact from me and others.

JPK

Spot on tu2

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

JPK

YOU go and shoot and learn and then you will see that no one can pass shit by you! Wink

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Shootaway,
What John has stated is exactly what I have found so perhaps it's worth taking in? Any open minded guy would.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is easy to put the blame on equipment if you find you are grouping to the left or right.Just remember sight picture never lies.You pull the trigger when you agree with the sight picture.If you dont agree with it you simply dont pull the trigger.If you pull and they shoot to the side it is only because you disturbed the sight picture when you pulled the trigger.Open sight shooting is extremely difficult to master.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, it's all about "Averages" . If I shoot several groupes at a time of day when the sun is on my side with tight groups on the opposite, then with the same rifle and numerous tight groups dead on with the sun up above certainly gives us a good average.
Shooting open sights is not too difficult with some practice and reasonable eye sight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Shootaway, it's all about "Averages" . If I shoot several groupes at a time of day when the sun is on my side with tight groups on the opposite, then with the same rifle and numerous tight groups dead on with the sun up above certainly gives us a good average.
Shooting open sights is not too difficult with some practice and reasonable eye sight.

ozhunter,just above,in the beginning of this thread, you blamed your sights for shooting high.You said they shot high because they were set for a 6 oclock hold.If they were set for a 6 oclock hold and you obviously knew about it then why did you still shoot high?
BTW,you will find that your rifle will shoot high or low as often as it shoots right or left.This too has nothing thing do with light.
Also,you should never be grouping right or left up to 50yds.If you do then you need alot more practice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's right, and that's why so many front sight heights are offered for all of those front sights with changeable beads, and why all of those rear blades or aperatures are adjustable for windage, why scopes have adjustment dials for windage and elevation, and why rim fire scopes have parallax set at 50yds rather than 100, why high magnification target scopes have adjustable parallax, because the sight picture never lies...

Do you not aim for the X even when shooting at 100yds, checking the zero of a scoped rifle you know shoots 2" high at 100yds?

Back to the bead. Try filing it, you will learn, and yes, I already did the shooting to verify that the point of impact does actually change with a round bead and the sun at different aspects.

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
John,
At about this stage its time just to ignore it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's right, and that's why so many front sight heights are offered for all of those front sights with changeable beads, and why all of those rear blades or aperatures are adjustable for windage, why scopes have adjustment dials for windage and elevation, and why rim fire scopes have parallax set at 50yds rather than 100, why high magnification target scopes have adjustable parallax, because the sight picture never lies...

Do you not aim for the X even when shooting at 100yds, checking the zero of a scoped rifle you know shoots 2" high at 100yds?

Back to the bead. Try filing it, you will learn, and yes, I already did the shooting to verify that the point of impact does actually change with a round bead and the sun at different aspects.

See you dont even know what is a sight picture.It might help to start shooting your rifle offhand with open sights.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
John,

Shootaway is either the ultimate "puppet master" or an "idiot"......either way I wouldn't waste your time trying to explain simple concepts to him. The experience is always the same......kind of like stepping on a wad of gum on hot pavement.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:
quote:
John,

Shootaway is either the ultimate "puppet master" or an "idiot"......either way I wouldn't waste your time trying to explain simple concepts to him. The experience is always the same......kind of like stepping on a wad of gum on hot pavement.

gunsmithing talent wasted on you

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
John,

Yes, Adam, you are right. Will do.

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
It would seem like ignoring him would make sense, but it's so much fun to read his silliness. All the time knowing that he busted a cow and posted it here for all to see. You have to wonder what that site picture looked like!

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macs B:
.....knowing that he busted a cow [by mistake] and posted it here for all to see. You have to wonder what that site picture looked like!

tu2

rotflmo

jumping

Free 500grains

one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]pic[/URL]
BTW anybody who has shouldered a rifle a quadrillion times will never extend his arm that far on the forearm or away from his body.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Ahhh shoot! You found out the truth. I'm a fraud.... You could always put me on "ignore"?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not saying you are a fraud.You are just not interpreting things right.Don't be silly,you would be one of the last I would put on ignore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

JPK

Good ol' Elmer Keith wrote the same thing in the 30's. The round bead will glare on the side of the sun giving a false appearance, that is, that the center of the bead is closer to the side of the sun than it is. It's as true now as it was then. My experience echo's yours to the letter. As JPK said, "spot on".

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ask your self this question.Did you ever see a glare on the side of your round front sight bead? I want you to give yourself an HONEST answer.BTW,I don't care what Elmer Keith said.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, from the direction my range faces for a few hours every morning before the sun gets behind the trees it hits my bench. When shooting at that time with a round bead there is a glare on the sun side of the bead. While working with my "new to me" Franz Jaeger drilling this past Saturday at that time of the morning, there was the glare just as it always is on bead sights at that time of day.

I don't care what you say. It is certain that occasionally you must stumble upon the truth. However, you quickly pick yourself up and hurry on as if nothing remarkable happened.

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
9.3x75,
That's exactly what we have found for years and likewise, shooting at my range at around 9am will always make the group hit to the right. tu2

Another example of a target from last weekend at 50m off hand with bead covering the target. Sights have been set for the six o'clock hold in which the target would have been hit centre had the bead been at the 6 o'clock position on the target. (An "easy fix" with a file).

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9.3 X 75R:
Yes, from the direction my range faces for a few hours every morning before the sun gets behind the trees it hits my bench. When shooting at that time with a round bead there is a glare on the sun side of the bead. While working with my "new to me" Franz Jaeger drilling this past Saturday at that time of the morning, there was the glare just as it always is on bead sights at that time of day.

I don't care what you say. It is certain that occasionally you must stumble upon the truth. However, you quickly pick yourself up and hurry on as if nothing remarkable happened.

I think if you are telling me that you and your rifle,especially offhand, can shoot absolutely straight at any yardage,repeatedly,your full of BS.Also if one posts target after target of offhand groups at 50yds that IMO could not be possibly shot rested or off the bench then I call BS to that and all things thereafter.Let us see you guys video your 50yd offhand shooting.Let us see you shoot 10 20 or 30 shots and have all the rds group center or anywhere.Let us then see you shoot the same number of rds on a new target and see the shots group in the same area.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He really is nuts, isn't he.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9.3 X 75R:
He really is nuts, isn't he.

I must have struck home.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No sir, you didn't strike anything. All you did was prove the adage that "it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool as to speak up and remove all doubt".

one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to get yourself that 22lr with those open sights which are similar to your double or other hunting rifle.

Then shoot a couple times a weeks over the course of a few months. Shoot 100-200rnds a session, really concentrating on your POA. But make sure you stop when your concentration goes or you're just wasting time and ammo.

If you concentrate and work at your shooting you will be shooting groups with the 22lr, after a couple of months and several thousand rounds, which are similar to the groups OzHunter is shooting with his 9.3x64.

Switch to your double or another open sighted hunting rifle and you groups won't grow, unless you are afraid of your rifle. If you aren't afraid of your rifle, chances are good you can shoot smaller groups with the double or another hunting rifle since the trigger is likely to be smoother and lighter than the 22lr you buy to practice with and also because the hunting rifle will likely have relatively more weight in the barrel(s,) which aids offhand shooting.

FWIW, I have a Winchester lever action 22lr and the open sights are not too dissimilar to the express sights on my hunting rifles.

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

I think if you are telling me that you and your rifle,especially offhand, can shoot absolutely straight at any yardage,repeatedly,your full of BS.Also if one posts target after target of offhand groups at 50yds that IMO could not be possibly shot rested or off the bench then I call BS to that and all things thereafter.

George, perhaps if you can not achieve similar results (even from a bench) then perhaps it would be prudent to try to lean from these posts instead of making ridiculous statements.
You have the right tools for this and don't blame warn out barrels. Some of the best groups I have seen were from fifty plus year old well used rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Adam,stick to what you know best-the names of PH`s and the hunting places.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Battle!"(c)

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I have said before--

George lives in an alternate dimension where they speak a different language.

He also shoots patterns,( mostly SK1) not groups.

coffee

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Sadly some good reports and posts are often tainted with rot when he adds his thoughts. Quite disappointing really.