Find
Notify
Tools

Enjoying the 9.3x62 Ruger
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I have been putting my 9.3x62 Ruger through it's paces in preperation for the 375 coming from the dealer thanks to California's "Awesome" bsflag 10 day wait policy.

The rifle isn't a super accurate one, but it is at least 1-1.5 MOA at distance.

We have a 600 yard range and I am consistantly ringing the 300 yard gongs using my old plex Weaver K5 4x. Hard to beat that out of a moose rifle.

And to think, I had thought about selling it.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Yep, one of the reasons I moved to Nevada.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Ya well be happy you didn't move to Washington!

More......... bsflag

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2801 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't get the job in Walla Walla, turned down the job in Grand Coulee, and have applied for a few jobs around Seattle but haven't heard anything back.

Washington is a strange cat that is for sure.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed the 9.3x62 is really a lovely cartridge. I'm getting 3/4" groups at 100 from the bench and 2500 fps from the 286 Partition.

It has really become my go to heavy medium rifle.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to order a fiberglass stock for it. This one has good wood on it for a M77.

It is also getting a new scope. Still not sure I want to spend a eland trophy fee on the Swarovski 1.7-10 Z6 or figure something else out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a 1.5x5 Leupy will work real well !
...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Does the rifle cycle reliably all the time? I like the look of that Ruger with the barrel-band sights etc but the Zimbabwe PH training guys don't trust any Rugers, whether push-feed or CRF.

Posts: 5001 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It feeds them like the Australian military applying rule 303.

The stock is awkward for me, and kind of uncomfortable. I look forward to testing out the HS Precision and McMillan offerings.

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Does the rifle cycle reliably all the time? I like the look of that Ruger with the barrel-band sights etc but the Zimbabwe PH training guys don't trust any Rugers, whether push-feed or CRF.

Don't want to derail the thread, but am very curious about this. Any more info you can share about the basis for their distrust of Ruger bolt guns? I've got a 375 Ruger that I hope will see Africa at some point. No problems so far with the gun.
Thanks

Posts: 1024 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifles, I have owned several of them in that caliber, including several Ruger Africans and a few Mausers...Great caliber..shot a lot of game with it using 286 Noslers and 300 gr. Woodleighs, including Eland.

I presently own a .338 Win. in a Ruger African model and I really like it also, and its a bit flatter shooting than my 9.3x62 and I suppose I prefer it over the 9.3 but not by much, been off and on over that subject for years, this time next year I might be back on the 9.3x62 or 64, who knows.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41950 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyPhD:
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:

Don't want to derail the thread, but am very curious about this. Any more info you can share about the basis for their distrust of Ruger bolt guns? I've got a 375 Ruger that I hope will see Africa at some point. No problems so far with the gun.
Thanks

?

I am very curious too.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys,
it's a while since I looked in on this thread. The report is around her somewhere; I'll get back when i find it.

PS: I think this is it, or a story written by one of the guys that reported on it:
http://www.africahunting.com/t...oficiency-exam.2604/

Posts: 5001 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Putting a plastic stock on a Ruger African is akin to sodomy and child molestation, its just not done ole boy! faint

The Ruger "African model", is an awesome factory rifle, the best thing since the pre 64 Mod. 70 and perhaps a better rifle?? school is still out on that, but it and the Kimber Montana are making fame together. Been a long time since these kind of rifles showed up, The bean counters like our president have done their best to screw up all they touch..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41950 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I am of the belief that nothing newer than a properly done Old Model 70 or a custom 98 Mauser could be trusted 100%. The CZ's could also be included in that group after a trip to AHR.

This refers to those rifles designed for DG cartridges.

The Kimber might very well get you killed, if you need to reload in a scrum with any of the Big Five. They have the magazine box lengthened in the back for 375-length cartridges. Every one I have handled, some dozen or fifteen, requires the shooter to push the round back past the rear of the loading port, like the old Remingtons.

Ray, you can get a plastic stock from Ruger.

The Zim/RSA tests pretty much give the unbiased truth shine thru, but let the games begin...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
I read the article by Don Heath and had to test out the Ruger African in the manner he described. No matter how fast I worked the bolt, it would eject the empties with no issues. Maybe Ruger eventually put a more powerful spring on the little plunger as Heath suggested, or maybe this one just doesn't have the problem. But it works just as it should.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Three hundred 320 grain Woodleighs are headed to my house via Midway.

So excited!

Love Midway close outs.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I love my 2011 era 9.3x62 Mauser Ruger African Hawkeye

It feeds flawlessly and has an above average trigger

This was a group buy from a group of my AR friends

It's only hunted two days but it will definitely see a lot of time in the deer woods in the future

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine doesn't have the mineral streaking, but I am damn happy with it.

Nice doe medicine eh?

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
It's a lot of deer power

Do ypu have any data for Barnes bullets?

I want load data for 250 grn monometal

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Three hundred 320 grain Woodleighs are headed to my house via Midway.

So excited!

Love Midway close outs.

I've had nil problems with Rugers.

I've shot a wide variety of plains game and feral game here in Australia, with the 9.3x62. Projectiles over 286 penetrate like laser beams, however past 100 metres I have experienced unreliable/nil expansion and stabilisation post impact. This was at a muzzle velocity or 2,190 fps. Chronographed not estimated.

If you can get an accurate load at a M/V over this, and expansion is important to you, still check terminal ballistics on some kind of medium.

I'm sure there will be some here who get magnificent velocity increases over this ....

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyPhD:
I read the article by Don Heath and had to test out the Ruger African in the manner he described. No matter how fast I worked the bolt, it would eject the empties with no issues. Maybe Ruger eventually put a more powerful spring on the little plunger as Heath suggested, or maybe this one just doesn't have the problem. But it works just as it should.

It was not the ejector that turned me off Ruger bolt actions. The first one I had was a real POS. The bolt was so sloppy it would jam on feeding and extracting. Needed a Mauser guide rib on the bolt. The Hawkeye action I replaced the Mk2 77 action with was a whole lot better but still not as slick or reliable as other bolts action I have.

I know others that have had no trouble with Rugers, I must of copped a Monday and a Friday actions.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
It's a lot of deer power

Do ypu have any data for Barnes bullets?

I want load data for 250 grn monometal

I do not, I have a case of 9.3x62 factory ammo with Barnes X bullets. When that is done, I'll need to. These are all 286.

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rule 303:
It was not the ejector that turned me off Ruger bolt actions. The first one I had was a real POS. The bolt was so sloppy it would jam on feeding and extracting. Needed a Mauser guide rib on the bolt. The Hawkeye action I replaced the Mk2 77 action with was a whole lot better but still not as slick or reliable as other bolts action I have.

I know others that have had no trouble with Rugers, I must of copped a Monday and a Friday actions.

The internal finish of all the Rugers I have owned has been on the rough side. The current one is no exception. It happens to work properly, but the difference in quality of finish between that and the Sako 375 here is substantial. Remington's, Winchesters and Brownings all appear to be better as well. I wish Ruger would improve that aspect of their production.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had half a dozen Ruger Africans in most calibers made, mostly 9.3x62s and 338s, but had a .375 and a 416 Ruger for testing that belonged to a friend, and I restocked them for him...

Never had a problem with any of them, not one..I presently have one in a .338 Win. as my go to elk rifle, and its performed perfectly..

As to slick, that's an easy fix, polish it out, or just work the action a couple of thousand times and wear it in. This applies to every factory rifle out there, even the old pre 64 Winchesters got this treatrment..

Seems to me too many folks have unrealistic expectations on factory production rifles, they all need to be tweaked to one degree or another..I have seen a ton of custom rifles that could use some of that tender loving care also.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I have had half a dozen Ruger Africans in most calibers made, mostly 9.3x62s and 338s, but had a .375 and a 416 Ruger for testing that belonged to a friend, and I restocked them for him...

Never had a problem with any of them, not one..I presently have one in a .338 Win. as my go to elk rifle, and its performed perfectly..

As to slick, that's an easy fix, polish it out, or just work the action a couple of thousand times and wear it in. This applies to every factory rifle out there, even the old pre 64 Winchesters got this treatrment..

Seems to me too many folks have unrealistic expectations on factory production rifles, they all need to be tweaked to one degree or another..I have seen a ton of custom rifles that could use some of that tender loving care also.

True enough. Since I don't have the patience for it to happen with use, polishing will be next.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got it fixed, Ruger was right it is all about front screw tension.