New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model Six opinions
 Login/Join

<ltbball>
posted
This is my first post and I wanted some opinions on a rifle I inherited. It is a Model Six pump in 30-06(not the carbine). It is in excellent shape and I wanted to know if anybody has any experience with this rifle. Thanks for any comments.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ltbball: There's a thread on Remington pumps on the "gun collecting" heading of this forum.

They are not designed for a high level of accuracy, but are serviceable rifles. They are well-liked by hunters who also shoot a pump shotgun due to their similarity.

Enjoy your inheritance!

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a model 760 pump in 6mm and a 7600 pump in 30-06 and enjoy both. The 870/1100 shotgun style trigger makes super accurate shooting difficult. But they are surprisingly accurate, esp. with handloads, partially because of the inherent free floating barrel. Maybe someday someone will come up with a after market trigger that will help. The model six was a deluxe model that was made for a few years late '70s through early '80s.

[ 10-10-2002, 23:40: Message edited by: W. Wilson ]

Posts: 323 | Location: Keithville, La. USA | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The model 6 is actually a plain-jane version of the 76 or 760. I wish I had mine back. They shoot well for the intended purpose (fast follow-up shots).

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Huh, I always thought the Model 6 was the "fancy" model, at least it looks that way when I compare it to my 760 and 7600. I've owned a number of the PA deer rifles over the years and still have several. All I can tell you is that the dozen or so that show up at deer cmp every year all shoot very well and have killed truck loads of deer over the years. I also believe that if anyone developed an after market trigger on a par with the M70 they would/could be as accurate as any hunting rifle made, and better than most. You have a fine rifle there. Keep it and shoot it.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The model six and model four were deluxe versions of the pump and auto rifles. They had the monte carlo stock and the cartridge head "implant" in the bottom of the receiver. The 76 and 74 were the plain versions with very plain wood.

Posts: 323 | Location: Keithville, La. USA | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote